Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

NICNATNUT. I have to fly from Tucson to San Diego. Then a car picks me up at airport &takes me to hospital in TJ,. Only a 5 to 15 minute drive. ABQ is a 5 hour drive from here. I think from ABQ to Denver is another 5 hrs. But, of course I could fly from Tucson to Denver. People here think DR Gonzales is great. He's had 10 yrs experience with lapbands and teaches American DR.'s how to do it.

Also he's $2,500 cheaper.

I wanted to get mine done soon before my courage goes away and because of my health, I need to get going on life-style change right away. A lot of my health problems is obesity related.

KAT817 The Buffalo bar is a cool place. I just love Silver City. Have you ever been here? Is Aztec close to Chama?

The doc sent me a pre-op diet and it is all liquid for 8 days prior. I've never done a liquid diet. I don't understand how the diet can have such a strong effect on the liver.

Congrads on the 100 pds lost.and at BMI 27.8!!!

I am very glad I was banded in Feb. 26,2007, and have lost 32lbs. I too am self-pay and borrowed from my 401 k to finance. I am 56 years old and feel great. I just started gym so I should loose more. Best thing I ever did for myself. Diannam

diannam

I just ordered my flight tickets. I was surpised to notice that I feel like I am doing something for me. Didn't realize the lapband decision would feel like that.

It does feel like a wonderful gift you are giving to yourself, and this is just the begining!

NM Sunshine, I drove down once with my friend to take her kids. She used to be married to one of the sons of the original owners of Buffalo Bar. They remained very civil through the divorce, and we went in and had a few drinks with her ex!! That was the only time I was there.

I am about 50 miles out of Chama, a beautiful place! We try to spend the night in Chama once a year. We ride to Red River to a motorcycle rally every year over Memorial Day, and we try to schedule it to where to stay either coming or going in Chama. I have a good friend who works in the medical center there. This year we strayed from the pattern and stayed a night in Taos, which was nice too!

We are talking about a trip south later next month. We avoid it on the bike in the heat of summer! We also have a place in central TX, but when we travel there (several times a year) we cross over at Clovis, into Lubbock.

I am so excited for all of you begining this band journey---it is a wild ride, one I cannot tell you how glad I am that I took!!!

Hope you don't mind if I keep looking in to see how y'all are doing!

Kat

:welcome:KAT817 please do stop by. VERY much enjoy having you. I had considered retiring in Chama. My DH is retired and I am an artist Fine Art Landscape Prints, Artist Brenda wilhite, Brenda Pennebaker , He is from Alaska and would like the cold winters. Taos and Sante Fe were too expensive so we choose Silver. It is becoming more and more an artist community.

That Railroad trip up there is awesome.

I too am an "oldie" I am 62 (get SS next month) :rolleyes: and I was banded on July 23! So far I am so glad that I did this - no problems at all if I stay away from the wine :lol: I have lost 24# thus far and am thrilled to death with that - I just got back from vacation for a week and managed to easily gain 3 #'s but got it off already, just needed to discipline myself again and drink my Water - so hard to do when traveling but am hoping to jump past that 25# mark real soon.

We may be "older" but we are wiser and look at those oldies and their weight losses! WOW

NM Sunshine.. I sure understand about wanting to get it done sooner rather than later... I felt the same way in wanting to get it done before I changed my mind and had originally had a date of August 30th, but I would have had to fly in without my hubby and I really didn't want to do that. I rescheduled to a time that we could both go to Colorado in our motorhome.. I haven't changed my mind at all about it, I'm just getting anxious to get it done.. It feels like October will never get here....

I keep reading about all of the success stories here and it just makes me want the band all the more...

Before I decided to go to Dr K I was thinking about going to your Dr there in TJ or the one in Monterrey. He is a good Dr and has plenty of experience.... It won't be much longer until you will be a member of the band... Good Luck to you....

Nicnatnut I can sure see why you would want to wait until you could bring the motorhome and hubby with. Just think you won't have to drive or fly after surgery. With flying I've gotten concerned about after surgery handleing my luggage or lifting to put in or pull out the above head with my carry on. I'm thinking of bringing only carry on luggage.

Cost made the difference in my decision. It costs me less to travel to San Diego and I plan on returning there for my fills. And as it turns out Dr. G wants me to be in hospital rather than clinic which is an extra $1000.

It is day 17 before I have my surgery and I'm getting nervous.

Hi Judy,

I am 62 and not banded yet. Congratulations on your op. News like yours is so encouraging, thank you.

I am not very computer literate and was wondering how I add a 'tickerfactory' to my profile. I made one up, copy and saved it, but have no idea how to add it on my profile.

Hugs, Beth

Hi Beth, you can access your signature area to add it to through the userCP at the top of the page. Cut and Copy it onto the signature area, then preview it, and make any changes you want, then save!

NMSunshine---I too flew to San Diego out of ABQ. My suggestions are---#1. Pack lightly, there is really not a lot you need. And you will be lugging that suitcase---so keeping it small and light will help a lot! #2. Wear elastic waist pants, and find a loose well broken in bra for the return trip. #3. Wear slip on shoes...when you go through security you have to remove your shoes, you might not feel like bending over to tie them on the return, when you are just out of surgery.

And now for the flight itself!

#1. Ask for a seatbelt extender AS YOU BOARD the plane. Do NOT wait until you are seated! When you ask as you board, she can just reach behind her and hand it to you. Those already on board, are busy settling in, and those in line to board cannot see what is going on in front of them. If you wait, she will have to walk all the way to the front, and walk back with it in full view of everyone!

#2. As you board, if you see any of the small disposable pillows---grab one. Hang onto it! You might not need it for the plane trip, but if you are driving from ABQ or wherever back to Silver City, it will help to put it between you and the car seat belt. The shoulder strap come right across my port incision!

And finally, for all of you, plane, or driving----one of the MOST important things you can do, is to keep moving! If you are sitting, just raise your ankles, and rotate your feet. Lift your feet off the floor 3-4"---just keep your legs moving as much as possible. The people next to you might think you have ants in your pants, but better that than blood clots! They will not let you take a bottle of Water on the plane in some places, others they now sell it on the other side of security I am told---if not, ask for some as soon as you can and stay hydrated.

I had an hour and a half trip from the hospital to the airport in San Diego, then a 4 1/2 hour plane trip, and then another 3 hours by car to get home from ABQ. I did it on day 3 with just a shot of liquid Tylenol. Not sure how the liquid Tylenol would do now, I think you will have to check it. It might be easier to do the Go Tabs chewables. They were not out when I had mine, they would also weigh less for the luggage. And don't forget to pack the gas X strips.

You will all do great----

Kat

KAT817 WOW that is such good information. I wonder if we need a thread that covers information like this? AS I prepare for diet and trip I find myself loaded with questions. Also there will be more post-op questions. I'll check through the threads and if I find nothing similair, I'll start a new one titled something like 'pre-op tips from those who've been there'. If I do can I put your tips in with your handle?

Hey Kat..... That is the greatest information... Thank you soo much for posting it. I am writing some of the tips down, simply because they are good info....

This is not related to anything, but I think I read somewhere where you go to Red River over Memorial Day for the bike rally and I was wondering how many years have you been doing that??? I had a very good friend that went there every year and in 2003-2004 he was hit and killed on his bike by a 16 year old kid without a drivers license.. His fiance lost a leg and his buddy on his bike was killed also and his wife sustained severe head injuries.... His nickname was Dancer and his real name was Les Walker and he was from Salida, Colorado. Just wondering if you knew him...

We've been going to Red River for the last 6-7 years. I did not know the ones that were killed that year, but I know there was a HUGE deal with it. There is a bar in Red River that is pretty much all Bandidos, and when that happen, there was HUGE police coverage in town. The kid ended up getting a slap on the wrist is all. ABATE pulled from the rally, and now in fact they have a memorial biker rally somewhere around Salida each year. We just heard about it this year---even thought about a last minute change & going there instead. But Wolfcreek that time of year, on bikes can be....shall we say a challenge!?

I didn't know your friend....we were at the rally that year, and we dumped money in the barrel they were collecting...and due to the controversy over the kid getting off of it, we skipped spending the weekend the next year, a few of the guys round tripped it---said it was still pretty calm.

I am sorry you lost your friend.

If any of my rambling words help anyone feel free to share them anytime! There were some great people here helping out when I first started this, I only hope I can help others as much as they helped me.

I have my 2 year old granddaughter tomorrow morning early, I better get my butt in bed!!!

Y'all take care--check in with you tomorrow!

Kat