Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went to get my preop blood work and EKG done today. Thy also told me I need an ABG (arterial blood gas) test. I freaked out at the unknown, naturally. It was the most painful experience I've ever had. The tech was supposed to draw blood from the artery in my wrist. Not the blue ones you can see, but they had to go digging. DIGGING. I passed out when she got deeper in my wrist looking for the vein. She never actually found it after trying and digging for a solid 10 minutes. She said that she wasn't able to get anything so she will tell the doctor. She said sometimes they don't need it, but if they do, they'll have to do it when I'm in the hospital for surgery.

End rant.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So sorry that happened to you because there's on need for that "digging"

Are you a person who normally presents with a "difficult" blood draw? Even if you're not, when drawing an ABG, it was always recommended (in my multi-surgeons' offices) to call "anesthesia.

Those folks are wizards when it comes to drawing blood and starting IV lines.

Hopefully, you can make this painfully experience a "learning one". Next time you have to have an "ABG" or a difficult blood draw or a tricky IV placed, please ask for a tech. from anesthesia.​

Once again, I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

Prayers going up for a joyful WLS journey--from here on out.

What a horrible experience! Challenge whether they truly need it. I had a friend in the hospital who was very ill and weak and decided he didn't want any more ABG tests run because they were just too painful and he was dying anyway. He tried to refuse the test and the techs kept trying to give it to him over his protest -- I had to physically stand in front of his hospital bed and push people with needles away from him! Ugh! You have the right to decline any procedure you don't want, so at least try standing your ground -- though if I were in your shoes I would probably back down if it meant the difference between getting the surgery and not. I might at least try to insist on pain killers/tranquilizers if I absolutely had to get one.

Don't kill the messenger but:

ABGs usually have to be repeated---a few times. ugh. :(

Unfortunately, that lady was the only one who does it there. If I need it to have surgery, I will have to be knocked out. I have the easiest veins so it's never a problem. Now I'm FREAKING out for the iv in my hand

Unfortunately, that lady was the only one who does it there. If I need it to have surgery, I will have to be knocked out. I have the easiest veins so it's never a problem. Now I'm FREAKING out for the iv in my hand

In the hospital? Anesthesia dept. will probably be the ones to start that one.

However, ASK. Can't hurt to ask for someone from anesthesia to come and start your lines. Believe when I say that they are the very, very best at it.

Rest easy. You know what to do now.--Just ask.

I hope you find out just why an "ABG" was needed. Please come back and post the reason.

Yes, I'm nosy, but I really care too! :)

Prayers going up.

Thanks!! Oh I will! Is the hand iv painful? I've had one in my elbow pit before, but not hand

In my hospital I work at respiratory draws our ABG, but sorry you had to go through that digging is never good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Kyn13

Thanks!! Oh I will! Is the hand iv painful? I've had one in my elbow pit before, but not hand

Yes, Friend. Hand IVs/Blood draws are generally more painful.

Your hospital IV won't necessarily be in your hand.

It's still better than a swig of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, right? :) I don't mean to make light of your pain. I know you were in a lot of pain. For that, I am sorry. :(

In my hospital I work at respiratory draws our ABG, but sorry you had to go through that digging is never good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Respiratory did mine too.

I've had hand IV's a couple of times and they were never painful for me, so you may not have a bad experience with that.

Sorry for your bad experience. I work in the hospital and am also curious why an ABG is part of pre op lab and thankful that it's not of the pre op lab here. Very painful lab draw.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I've had hand IV's a couple of times and they were never painful for me, so you may not have a bad experience with that.

Thanks! I'm hoping it's fine!