Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to bring to the hospital?

Hi, I'm having surgery next Monday the 13th and I need help about what I might need during my stay at the hospital. Also what kind of clothes I should wear. Thank you.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using the BariatricPal App

You really won't need much. An extra long charger cord for your phone, some lip balm, and a cotton, fasten-in-front no-underwire bra if you have one (and if you are one of the women who is more comfortable walking around with a bra than without). The hospital will be able to supply any toiletries that you need, but if you prefer your own tooth brush and so on, feel free to bring that.

If you wear glasses, bring a case for them.

Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothes. Bring a couple of pairs of undies but otherwise you can wear the same clothes home. I wore a loose-fitting empire waist dress and it was perfect.

Make sure that whoever is giving you a ride home brings a pillow for you to put between the seat belt and your abdomen.

I took way too much. The first day, I just slept it off. The second day, I watched TV and did not even feel like reading the book I brought. I did work some with my crossword puzzle book.

If I had a cell phone I probably would have taken that.

Wear loose clothes because you may be a bit bloated and swollen after surgery and IV liquids.

What was helpful was basic toiletries like my toothbrush, clippers, tweezers, Chapstick, breath strips, slippers, robe.

An extension cord for your phone charger

also a laptop/tablet to watch Netflix on & headphones. I'd probably ask my husband to bring the laptop after surgery so it's not just sitting on the floor somewhere waiting to be stolen

For me I am bringing my, phone, iPad, chargers. Change of comfy clothing.

Might bring my own pillow.

That's all for now, unless I think of something else.

Thank you!

Surgery tomorrow at 7:00 AM in Bogota, Colombia

The best thing I brought to the hospital was a pair of Bose noise cancelling earbuds and my phone/iPad with some music and videos. I didn't watch too many videos because I really wanted to sleep much of the time but those noise cancelling earbuds cut out all the noise of the hospital, alarms from the IV pumps, and people constantly coming in and out of the room. I could put on some music I downloaded at home and sleep peacefully -- so much so that people had to touch me to wake me up! I didn't really need anything else -- clothes to wear home. I also had my comfy slippers for walking the halls, but they gave me non-slip socks so I didn't really need them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches