Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my journey at 368 pounds on the day of surgery I weighed 345 pounds, I am just two months out of surgery and I weighed 265 this morning. I am nauseated constantly and have a very limited diet. On the majority of the days I hit or get really close to my Protein goals and always hit my Water goal. I am exhausted, napping during the day and going to bed earlier and earlier every night. If I try even the lightest of physical activity, after only a minute or two I get light headed and dizzy. I saw my surgeon two weeks ago and spoke with him and he did not seem to concerned. I have lost another 20 pounds since that appointment. Surgeon did order an upper GI scan and a new set of blood work to check things out. I am just getting really concerned with the rate and the amount of weight that I am losing. I understand the nausea is just part of this and try and work through it but the lack of energy also has me very concerned. Any Ideas or similar situations out there? Thanks Captain

You have lost 100 pounds in 2 months?! I would say that is extreme. I am surprised your doctor isn't a little concerned. Did nothing show up in the GI scan and bloodwork? If not, maybe it is all good. For the nausea, I would ask for a prescription. I took Zofran off and on for 6 months. Having said that, are you able to hold food down? I found at 3 months that I had a stricture (scar tissue grown around the exit of stoma so food couldn't go through). They did a balloon dilation through EGD and I felt better immediately (though the nausea did hang around). Do you happen to be on any blood pressure or diabetes meds that need to be adjusted? If you are not satisfied with a response from your surgeon, I would see your PCP and see if they can offer any suggestions.

Also give us an idea of what you are eating. That might help us give some suggestions.

So my typical day consist of Protein shake in the morning made with GNC Protein powder and HEB Mootopia about 32 grams of Protein, lunch time I've been eating a Protein Bar 10 to 20 grams of protein mattering what I can handle and at night I eat a Greek Yogurt with 15 grams of protein. Surgeon wants me eating 60 grams of protein so I am there. Real food does not always go down real easy. I have tried a lot and chicken and shrimp do not work. Taco meat is the best that I found I'll eat that with refried Beans and a little queso and I am good to go, but that is like once or twice a week.

I have not got the results back form either of the test yet so I do not know. I have also seem my GP who was on the border of being concerned i guess. He was going to look at the test results and let me know his opinion. I really trust my GP but I am a little on the fence about the surgeon at this time.

I am taking no Medication at this time.

Thanks Captain

Edited by Capt.Ron

You obviously know that you should be eating more. I would ask for anti-nausea meds ASAP. Call and get the results of your tests. You should be eating real food at this stage. I would also eat more frequently.

You obviously know that you should be eating more. I would ask for anti-nausea meds ASAP. Call and get the results of your tests. You should be eating real food at this stage. I would also eat more frequently.

I am not exactly sure why you think I obviously know that I should be eating more. I am eating exactly what I've been instructed. Also at my last appointments my surgeon and GP both agreed that I am doing fine with what I am eating. Captain

I didn't handle meat well for about 1 year or more.....it just kind of stuck and felt heavy. Do you like cottage cheese? That goes down good and is excellent Protein. Are you taking all your necessary Vitamins? Drinking your Water? ??/

If it makes you feel any better, I don't eat a whole lot more than you right now and my surgeon is also ok with it. My average calorie intake is about 350-500 most days. I do get my recommended Protein and fluids in.

You may have somewhat of a stricture, my doc thinks that's my issue, but since I can get all my protein/fluids in he wants to wait and see if it resolves itself.

The lack of energy is a bit of a concern and I would wonder if my blood work was all in check if it hasn't been tested.

I can assure you it is possible to have normal energy levels without much food as I don't lack energy.

I am a little over 2.5 months out from surgery. I am not losing as fast as you, but am down almost 60lbs post-op along with 45 pre-op.

Just the last week or so I've been able to eat a little more (eggs, refried Beans, cheese sticks, deli turkey). But my amounts are still so small that even 3 meals a day of just Protein heavy foods and I can still only get about 30-35g of protein from food. The rest I have to drink.

Anyway, just thought it might help to know you aren't alone in this.

And of course, listen to your surgeon. And if you aren't confident in his answers I think checking with your primary care doc is also good advice.

I am not exactly sure why you think I obviously know that I should be eating more. I am eating exactly what I've been instructed. Also at my last appointments my surgeon and GP both agreed that I am doing fine with what I am eating. Captain
I guess I assumed. I apologize. In my non-professional (but educated) opinion - you are not eating enough. This is why you are exhausted and weak and possibly why you are nauseous. If your surgeon and GP have no concerns and you are following the surgeon's diet instructions - then I'm not sure what you were asking or questioning in your post. Good luck to you!

I would agree that it doesn't sound like enough food. And/or it may be a stricture. Can you add a Protein shake per day? That might help with the energy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I would stick to the protien shake in the morning but substitute lunch and dinner with lean ground turkey cooked with some light seasoning and like spice. Also, for a snack, I would have a Greek yogurt. You will end the day around 600 calories, and around 90 grams of protien.

Hopefully this will help you!

Best,

Sanju

Edited by sanjumelts

I would stick to the protien shake in the morning but substitute lunch and dinner with lean ground turkey cooked with some light seasoning and like spice. Also, for a snack, I would have a Greek yogurt. You will end the day around 600 calories, and around 90 grams of protien.

Best,

Sanju

4oz of lean turkey meat for proportion.

Best,

Sanju

Best,

Sanju

4oz of lean turkey meat for proportion.

Best,

Sanju

I couldn't eat 4 oz of turkey in a sitting at two months out or even six months. That portion may be too much for him this early on. OP see how you do. You may want to start with 1.5-2 oz and take it from there.

OP, a couple of thoughts just based on my experience and not in any way facts, I found that 4 small meals worked well for me so adding an extra snack like a Baby Bel cheese and a few almonds or a cup of no sugar added apple sauce may make you feel more energetic. I also found that if I didn't get at least 64 oz of Water a day, my energy was gone.

I'm a huge fan of Protein shakes and bars but not when that is 2 of your 3 meals listed. If you don't add an extra meal or snack, then I would swap the bar for real food as Sanju suggests and see if that helps. Also make sure you are getting your Vitamins in and are eating some healthy fats and carbs. While it is important to focus on Protein early on, eating a balanced diet is also important for maintaining energy. Let us know how it goes.

Okay,I don't see my problem any where on this site,I had my surgery in 2000,and weight was 299 I lost my weight and even more,But last 3months I have gained 70# eating has not changed and excersise has stayed the same.What can I do to get back down to my goal weight?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would go to the doctor, @@Lindairene . There are several conditions (for example low thyroid) that can make you gain weight quickly. If everything is the same and you are up 70 pounds in 3 months, there is nothing strangers on the internet can "diagnose". Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am 10 weeks post op, I've lost 42 lbs. it has been a lot more difficult than I anticipated. I got really sick 1 month out & had to go to ER. The Dr was fabulous, I told him about feeling awful all time. I couldn't drink or eat. I loved all food, now I basically do not like anything?!? He explained I would feel this way for at least 4+ months. Also said my new pouch & brain are also adjusting to the changes. My biggest issue is getting enough Fluid. Sipping takes forever, if I try to take a normal drink it upsets my stomach, too much air. I had my 2 month visit with general surgery & nutrition. Labs are great inflammation down.

Started exercising at the gym 3 times a week, PT twice a week. Good news is I was size XXL, size 20, now a L size 14!

Its a learning process!