Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

I DON'T need all the facts to write a general comment. All that I was saying is that CharlotteKat and I both have right to say whatever we'd like. You don't need to agree with either one of us. Just ignore what we say if you don't like it but to say that neither one of us have a right to express our opinions is not appropriate. AussieGirl81, you were the only one to express yourself in a non-aggressive way and for that, I thank you. Otherwise, all of you should really focus on yourselves rather than getting so wound up about someone out here that writes something that you may or may not want to hear.

Thank you for the compliment, i try my best to be objective.

And i completely agree with you, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is exactly what forums are for.

And i even agree with charlottekat to an extent in regards to weighing yourself frequently if you are in the right headspace.

However, personally attacking another member is not okay, putting people down and bullying them and basically being disrespectful to them because they do not agree with you is not the way it should be.

The actual person or their habits, looks, bmi etc shouldn't be part of the equation.

This is what i have an issue with, not the differences of opinion... everyone is entitled and has a different opinion... people shouldn't get mean in a personal way just because another doesn't agree.

As they say... people should just agree to disagree ????

Ok, sooo I know you guys are busy arguing and whatnot, but I would just like to answer the original question, and say that I weigh myself everyday. I am pre-op, and would like to lose as much weight as possible before surgery to make my operation safer. I will probably continue to weigh daily after surgery as well, though I can see how sometimes I get a bit obsessive. At that time I'm sure I'll weigh less frequently to save my sanity. Lol. But I do agree that everyone has the RIGHT and CHOICE to weigh whenever is best for them, since we are all ADULTS and can make decisions for ourselves. But I also appreciate any links that are posted to inform people of other options, as long as they are respectfully posted for informative purposes only. Thats just my 2cents though. Have a great day guys, and remember, we are here to SUPPORT :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I edited the post since it had no place on this forum. I am going ahead and deleting some more posts from this topic. I'd like to remind all our members of the forum rules you agreed to abide by when signing up for this forum. There's no need to respond to my post. Let's get back on topic.

I will instantly ban any member that fat shames another. We have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior on here.

wow...going to stay out of the fray - but will comment to say that this website is meant for us to be supportive of one another through this weight loss process. No one should be mean or cruel to another or shame another; we get enough of that in other areas of our lives.

As far as the original question - I weigh myself daily - because it is right for me. I am 8 months out and still ecstatic every day about how much weight I have lost. I have been through many stalls and even weight fluctuations because of Water, etc. Knowing that I am following the plan helps to keep me from getting discouraged. After I reach goal, I will probably continue weighing myself daily so I can catch myself if I drift too far away from my goal. But that is because it works for me.

Having said that, though, I can perfectly understand how weighing daily can really get into someone's head. As I said before - I have had many stalls - and some of them were really long ones - also, my weight fluctuates 2 - 3 pounds on a pretty regular basis. If that ever causes me undue stress, I will most likely move over to the other camp of not weighing daily.

I think I'll stick to weekly because if it's frequent enough to keep me on track but gives enough time to not get freaked out about the daily ups and downs of Water weight. Unfortunately, I'm like the other poster who said she gets discouraged and feels like cheating when she sees a gain. I need to work on that.

I think as I get further along, for my own sanity, I may need to start going to weekly (or every few days). This soon out, it's been a great way to get instant feedback on how the weight is coming off, but long term, I can imagine it could possibly make me anal retentive.

But ultimately, unless specifically advised to do it a certain way by your clinical/surgical team, it really boils down to personal preference. Some scales now are connected via wifi and allow you to see your trends in real time - that's kinda cool.

Daily weigh-ins can be maddening when they go in the wrong direction (or just won't budge) but it's your best friend when you're losing!!! I have a love/hate thang with it!! Smile people, it's really not that serious!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I weigh myself everyday and track it on the MyFitnessPal app. I've been tracking it for years. It's nice to always go back and see how far you've come along.

So I'm only 8 weeks out but already I know that I needed to put my scale away. I started weighing every 1-3 days. When the weight just fell off I was indifferent about it. But around 3 weeks when I hit the dreaded stall, I nearly screamed when I didn't lose anything for 3 days. Lol.

There's tons of research out there that says weighing daily will not give you accurate numbers. I know this. Yet if I don't lose, I will weigh every day until I do. Lol. Watching that scale causes me stress. Stress impedes weight loss. So I put the scale away. The average recommendation is to weigh once every two weeks. I'm at one week right now. But I hope to push it to two weeks & eventually get to where I weigh monthly.

I'm working my program, working out every day. I get in my Protein & Water & keep my numbers on track. So no matter what the scale says, I know I'm getting healthier & stronger.

I also started measuring myself. Lost 4 inches in my waist even though the scale barely moved the last few weeks. Workout clothes are falling off of me. It's so much more than what the scale tells us. ◡̈