Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe I'm doing this wrong...

I'm reading all the posts on here, and most people are eating about 4 oz. I'm 11 days post op and can really only stand about 2 oz. I think the Protein Shakes fill me up and don't leave room for food. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You're not even 2 weeks out. You're fine.

And how much you can eat is also dependent on the bougie size your doctor used, your tolerance and ability to eat once you start mushies. Also liquids are not subject to restrictions since they tend to flow through the stomach sleeve, and you aren't going to feel hunger (at least what you perceive as hunger) for quite some time. Just do what you can and try your best to get your Protein goals in each day.

2oz is more than enough. I m 4 weeks out and I can't handle 4oz. A table spoon 1/2 of pureed food max, 1/2 weetabix and 1 1/2 litres of Water. Take it easy. Is not all about Protein Shakes and Vitamins. I know some people ramble around here about this all the time but at the end of the day we are all different. Listen to your body and good luck!

I was on liquids for three weeks and never even thought about eating anything at 11 days postop. I couldn't eat more than a couple tablespoons at a time for at least a couple months. Probably took 6 months before I could eat 4oz at a time. There's no reason to rush to eat....you've got the rest of your life to do that. Be thankful for your restriction. Just work on meeting Protein and fluid goals every day, don't worry about how much you can eat, take things as slow as you need and don't push the limits of your tiny tummy.

I was on liquids for three weeks and never even thought about eating anything at 11 days postop. I couldn't eat more than a couple tablespoons at a time for at least a couple months. Probably took 6 months before I could eat 4oz at a time. There's no reason to rush to eat....you've got the rest of your life to do that. Be thankful for your restriction. Just work on meeting Protein and Fluid goals every day, don't worry about how much you can eat, take things as slow as you need and don't push the limits of your tiny tummy.

This. Kindle knows what's up. Lol.

I had 3 weeks of liquids after surgery as well, and couldn't eat more than 2 bites of food for quite a while. Now at 18 months out, I max out at 4 oz. If it's a particularly dense Protein or a "snug sleeve day" (as I call it), I can often not reach 4 oz. Everyone's sleeve is different and everyone heals differently. Don't be sad because you can't eat MORE, especially being so soon out of surgery. That's really kind of a good thing, lol. :)

at 11 days you really shouldn't be eating much anyway.

for months after surgery your stomach is swollen from the trauma. Once the swelling goes down you will be able to eat a bit more

My nut said in the first week or two, you drink 4oz of the Protein shake within a 30 minute time frame...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I'm almost 5 weeks post op and I can eat 3 or 4oz of chicken VERY SLOWLY, but not much room for anything else. When I eat egg, it's just two country scrambled with onion. MAYBE I can eat a turkey bacon slice. I haven't tried salad yet but I do eat organic red peppers with hummus and that fills me up and doesn't seem to bother me digestive-wise. We are all different. At 2 weeks I could hardly handle anything. I was still on really soft and liquids. Don't forget that when you do eat, Try not to drink until 30 minutes after. Also, remember that if you don't get enough good calories in (nutrient dense ones) you will harm your metabolism. That's later though. Right now, stick to liquids and pureed. Try to hit your Protein goals daily. I knock out 40 grams of Protein with an Isopure a day. Zero carbs, 40 grams of protein. Sip on it throughout the day and that's 1/2 of your protein! Good luck. Don't stress, the sleeve is a great tool if we follow the team's direction.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 months out and I can only handle between 3-4.5 oz per meal depending on what I am eating. At 11 days out I could really eat any thing. It can be a scary time because you think you won't ever eat again but does get better.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Protein shakes fill me up and don't leave room for food

@@debd80

at 11 days i was only drinking liquids, broth etc (per my NUT)

Protein Shakes obviously help satisfy the need for protein

they are/can be filling

your new little tummy is less than 2 weeks old

it just had major surgery, tummy is hurting

and a little angry at you for messing with it LOL

most NUTS have different rules per their programs

I was on a mushy/puree foods for a few weeks

then soft phase (yogurt, cottage cheese etc)

FINALLY solids

you are allowed solids at 11 days!!!

in my case at that early time, no way would

i eat 2 or 4 oz

but that's just my case per my NUT

"Maybe I'm doing this wrong..."

i would talk to your NUT

maybe you misunderstood about your eating plan??

just saying....

at 11 days, if there is a problem with your eating

you should be able to fix it, learn from your NUT

(unless this is what your NUT prescribed!!)

good luck

kathy

I guessed should I have worded it differently :) by eating I mean thinned or Soups or broth. I can't seem to get my shakes, Water, and "food" in. My surgeon put me on a schedule of liquids for one week, puréed foods weeks 2&3, soft foods weeks 4&5 and starting on solids at 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App