Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6weeks post how much should my calorie intake be for?

@@taramarie523

You are absolutely correct!

I am living proof!

I had the band 6 years ago... got to goal by stupidly eating around 500 calories for all those years.

I ended up having complications and had my band removed a year ago... and decided to continue eating clean and healthy...

I was living on salad and steamed chicken/fish and low carbs for 12 months and during that time gained a lot back.

Turns out i reset my metabolic rate so low... that even at my low calories.. it was way to much for my body.

This is why they suggested the sleeve... now i have to have lower calories for life!!

Please anyone reading this, losing weight is great... yes... but do not do it by screwing up your metabolism... the weight will come off... just eat and exercise and you will be fine.

Wow can I relate to this!! I had a band too for 6 years before it up and died. :( By then my eating habits had gotten much better but I panicked and tried living on a low calorie diet consisting of bacon and phentermine (diet pills).

I ran around looking and probably smelling like a hyper little piggy. My weight kept creeping up despite my best (worst for metabolism) efforts.

I got my sleeve 6 weeks ago today and am slowly getting my calories up like so many members here have suggested. I'm aiming for 1000 (maybe more) because I'm pretty active and don't want to run out of energy. :)

So good to read everyone's personal experiences. I would be at a loss without this site for info. Thanks so much everyone. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jaxmom

My Protein shakes are 160 cal and 30grams of Protein. So 3 x 160 is 480 calories w/ 90 grams of protein. Believe it or not it is possible. This is not the only thing I eat. Drinking mostly Water and eating very small portions of other things I can eat 800 cal and feel comfortable. At this stage I'm still not ever hungry but feel sick if I force myself to eat more.

My Protein shakes are 160 cal and 30grams of Protein. So 3 x 160 is 480 calories w/ 90 grams of protein. Believe it or not it is possible. This is not the only thing I eat. Drinking mostly Water and eating very small portions of other things I can eat 800 cal and feel comfortable. At this stage I'm still not ever hungry but feel sick if I force myself to eat more.

Living on Protein Shakes is not healthy by any means. Doctors recommend getting protein from other sources as soon as possible. You may be losing weight, but eventually your body will starve because you are not giving it any food. Losing weight is important, but it is not everything. Health is more important. not eating and just living on protein shakes is not healthy. Good luck to you. I am curious as to what will happen when you eat normal foods again?

I am eating normal foods..I guess you missed that

I am not arguing with you. I am telling you, three Protein Shakes a day at five months out is not healthy.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141006195341-7146982-protein-supplements-after-weight-loss-surgery-yes-or-no

"Be Wary of Protein supplements in the Long-Term

Protein shakes and powders can be convenient, but they’re not your best bet for long-term weight loss. As you progress from pureed foods to semi-solid and then solid foods, your surgeon will probably recommend that you stop drinking shakes and focus instead on solid sources of Protein.< /p>

They’re more substantial and satisfying than liquid shakes.

They take longer to eat than drinking shakes.

They’re easier to fit into a real-life eating plan.

You won’t be “drinking your calories.”

They have more natural nutrients than processed shakes and powders.< /p>

Most weight loss surgery patients can get enough protein just by choosing one or two high-protein foods for each meal. You’ll get 60 to 80 grams with the following foods.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled egg whites; light English muffin and some fruit.< /p>

Lunch: cup fat-free cottage cheese and a green salad with 3 ounces of canned light tuna.< /p>

Dinner: 3 ounces of chicken breast and steamed spinach.

snack 1: 1 low-fat cheese stick.

Snack 2: 1 6-ounce container of plain low-fat yogurt and 1 cup carrot sticks."

Just be careful with the primary source of protein/meals being shakes.

Thank you everybody for your comments this helps tremendously. I feel like I'm where I'm suppose to be. I love all this support, you all are great I can get through this with all of you in my life again a big thank you!!!

How are these low calorie restriction setting people up for life long success?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

That's what I don't get. You completely wreck your metabolism with that kind of restriction. I pushed hard to get over 800 early on and then 1100 once I started exercising and was probably at 1400-1500 by the end of my weight loss phase. Now, in maintenance, I can eat 1900 on non-cardio days and 2400-2600 on cardio days. Had I been keeping under 800 through all of the weight loss, I'd probably be stuck around 1200-1400 in maintenance. I don't see the advantage of that at all.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

That's what I don't get. You completely wreck your metabolism with that kind of restriction. I pushed hard to get over 800 early on and then 1100 once I started exercising and was probably at 1400-1500 by the end of my weight loss phase. Now, in maintenance, I can eat 1900 on non-cardio days and 2400-2600 on cardio days. Had I been keeping under 800 through all of the weight loss, I'd probably be stuck around 1200-1400 in maintenance. I don't see the advantage of that at all.

I agree completely.

your nutritionist should tell you how much you should be at

This is my goal as well. Glad to see it is possible :)

Einstein

Same.. I'm 4 months out and pushing 1100-1300 cals

@@taramarie523

I am living proof!

I had the band 6 years ago... got to goal by stupidly eating around 500 calories for all those years.

I ended up having complications and had my band removed a year ago... and decided to continue eating clean and healthy...

I was living on salad and steamed chicken/fish and low carbs for 12 months and during that time gained a lot back.

Turns out i reset my metabolic rate so low... that even at my low calories.. it was way to much for my body.

This is why they suggested the sleeve... now i have to have lower calories for life!!

Please anyone reading this, losing weight is great... yes... but do not do it by screwing up your metabolism... the weight will come off... just eat and exercise and you will be fine.

It's crazy!!! Hopefully the sleeve helps you a bit. I am going to do my best to no wreck my metabolism and get those healthy food

calories in.

@@taramarie523

I am living proof!

It's crazy!!! Hopefully the sleeve helps you a bit. I am going to do my best to no wreck my metabolism and get those healthy food

calories in.

Thank you i am losing. . But it will be slow... even the surgeon said so.... but i am still impatient lol

I think it just depends on each individual and that's why I feel logging your intake is so vital at least until you know what works for your body.

Personally I have always had to keep my calorie and carb count kinda low- more the carb count than the calories. I just have always had a sluggish metabolism and having hypothyroidism doesn't help. During my pre op waiting time I was eating around 1800 calories a day and cut out all refined processed sugar and sodas. Then I had a two week liquid diet- through all that I only lost 4 pounds.

Post op my calories are on the low side. I am two years post op and have been in maintenance for about a year and half. For me I need my calories around 900-1000 a day and keep my carbs around 50 or less. This works for me. I do have the occasional day where I have some treats and that will bump up my intake. Also, I listen to my body so much more now. I will have days where my body tells me I am hungry and I eat- Protein first then veggies so occasionally I will get around 1200. However if I ate 1200 every day I would begin to creep up. My energy levels are great and so is my blood work. I have plenty of energy to work out too. Now if I go on a long several day hiking/camping trip or paddling my kayak all day then I will be hungry and I make sure I bump up my calories to compensate.

There is another member on that website who is a few years post op and she has mentioned that she has to keep her calories around 1,000 too.

I do agree with everyone that if you can bump up your calories and still keep losing and or maintaining then that is the way to go!