Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW DO YOU SUCCEED WITH HEALTHY EATING WHEN YOU'RE MEXICAN

I was told not to ( eat veggies and limit fruit) for about a year. And I can't say if they are right or wrong. However My weight loss has been huge in a short period of time. I was told especially in the first yr by the surgeon to concentrate on my Protein and that's it...So I have and it seems to be working well for me. It might be that was just my diet plan and well I went from a 5 x to a juniors size 15/17 in about 6 months. So I am not gonna say they were wrong. and if you look at the lost totals... It seems to be working well for me... As for the taco salad... That was one of my favorite things before... I hope to eat it again someday. with a lil hot sauce as i can tolerate spicy things...I am allowed avocado, meat, Beans, cheese, eggs etc. that's my main foods... I am just glad i stopped craving potatoes... instead i now crave watermelon which is interesting since Before surgery I didn't care for it much. It's hard for me to say my surgeon was wrong when I watch the numbers on the scale drop. I lose a pound a day or every other day. it depends really... bout that's my average loss rate. When I told the docs office that She says that's pretty average... I wonder if things have changed been discovered that something different works from when others had their surgeries? Possible? I can't say it's wrong as I have watched it work...

I'm not saying you were wrong **for you**. I am simply saying that prefacing your directions as fact is not fair to the people who are looking for advice.

And as an aside, your statement that vegetables should be avoided for a year would totally kill off all of my vegetarian/vegan WLS friends. ;)

I'm Mexican. We ate lots of healthy foods, I just ate too much of all of it.

My staples are carnitas, carne asada, guacamole, Beans, queso fresco, salsa...

I avoid tortillas, masa, rice.

There are healthy and unhealthy options in every culture. Protein is Protein, carbs are carbs, :)

Lipsticklady, you sound like you are from Hermosillo, am I right?

Sent from my Sony Xperia

Baked fajitas! The best part - your hair doesn't smell like them when you bake them vs sauté them in a pan!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

There are healthy and unhealthy options in every culture. Protein is Protein, carbs are carbs, :)

Sent from my Sony Xperia

Nah... From Ventura, CA.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

Nah... From Ventura, CA.
Well you certainly have good taste for food.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

I'm from a Swedish background but live in Los Angeles where there are many Mexican grocery stores my husband and I love. Their butcher sections have fresh seasoned carne asada, carnitas, fajita meat, and other yummies he loves and that are very low-carb and healthy. One of the stores has an eatery inside, and you can get just the meat and vegetables without rice or tortillas. I also stock up on cheese, vegetables, and crema Mexicana that I use on everything from scrambled eggs to red pepper Soup. All of us have foods that we adore but know are unhealthy for us. For me, not completely eliminating foods but permitting myself to have them sparingly has helped me to not feel deprived or to obsess over them. I had chips and salsa, enchiladas, and other goodies (but no margaritas because alcohol hits me too hard now, so I avoid it entirely) on Cinco De mayo, but wouldn't consume them on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis. I think you'll be able to still have foods that you enjoy post-surgery. Just pick out the ones that are the healthiest for you, and focus on them. Have the less healthy foods as rare treats once you're healed rather than staples.

I don't think being mexican, or from any specific culture, has anything to do with it. You can eat delicious home made foods and not be overweight. It's all about how much you eat and how active you are. It's not the culture to blame but our bad choices.

In my opinion you can still eat the same foods just in moderation. If you had something that's "bad" for dinner then have light breakfasts and lunch before that.

That's interesting Lipstick lady. I went to Oxnard High.

yeah I was told I can't have them until a year out.. seriously... I was told to be light with fruit as well... I dunno... just following my diet. I do see a new nut here in Idaho where I moved to a few months ago... but i admit to missing them. Because I am so new out of wls I was told to pretty much make sure I get in the Protein and that's it...

wow. plans vary so much it will blow your mind. I was told at 4 weeks to have veg, some fruit and some whole grains every day along with my Protein which is my focus.

I don't think being mexican, or from any specific culture, has anything to do with it. You can eat delicious home made foods and not be overweight. It's all about how much you eat and how active you are. It's not the culture to blame but our bad choices.

In my opinion you can still eat the same foods just in moderation. If you had something that's "bad" for dinner then have light breakfasts and lunch before that.

Yup.

I agree. Every culture has staple carbs. Just focus on the Protein and minimize or completely avoid the starches.