Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people at work

I posted a similar thread for the Sep. '07 bandsters but I wanted everyone to "weigh" in on the topic. What did you tell people at work? Did you tell them you were getting weight loss surgery? Just a "procedure"? Did you just take vacation time and not say anything? How did you deal with it. I work in tv and I think it would be humiliating to tell people here that I am getting weight loss surgery. They are very snotty (and skinny):help:. Please help!

I told people that I was having a hernia repair :girl_hug: Since I did have a hernia and did have it repaired it worked. So they understood the diet that I was on after the surgery and everything. I just told them that it hurt to swallow so I was taking it easy. Which was the truth...

I am lucky enough to work with a great and supportive bunch of people in the health field, so I didn't think twice about telling everyone. I can imagine it would be hard in your situation. My husbands workplace is kinda like that (all the "beautiful" people), and I probably would NOT have gone so public with it if I worked there. Are there one or two people you trust that you could tell? That way you would not feel so alone with it while at work, which, let's face it, is where we spend the majority of our time! :girl_hug:

I hope some others will pipe in and help you out here.

I'm just starting, I've done my first PCP consultation bringing up the subject, attending an info session tonight, and setting up a nut. consultation today, and since the info session is 3 hours away, I have to leave work early. I said I'm visiting a doctor for hernia repair consultation... which is mostly true. The doctor wil be at the info session, I'm visiting that and by proxy him, and the PCP said they could most likely fix the hernia while in there, so...

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

I told everyone at work I was having weight loss surgery.

Several wanted the details of what lap-band is (all these skinny girls, no one knows about WLS lololol)..so I told them. I'm not ashamed! Only downside (and only really), is when they ask for an update on how much I've lost. I don't want to talk numbers till I'm done. But for the most part they all make comments about how good I look, etc. So I'm glad I told them, it's a good reinforcer to hear them notice!

I'm worried that if I tell my co-workers they will become the lap-band police and watch everything I eat and comment on my progress. I just don't want the judgement.:girl_hug:

I'm worried that if I tell my co-workers they will become the lap-band police and watch everything I eat and comment on my progress. I just don't want the judgement.:girl_hug:

Seriously. We get judged enough for what we eat now, I don't want to continue the scrutiny! At least when people see me eating like a rabbit, they leave me alone! :D

I work from my home so it wasn't an issue for me. But I actually received an amazing job making more money than I have ever made before BECAUSE I am banded. That wasn't the only reason, but it was a big part of the reason for the offer. It was in a field doing something I never ever thought I would want to do but I accepted the job offer last week. Best part is, I work primarily out of my home and I will be traveling to other countries as needed.

Tell people, it pays off! I am not sure I would have told in the very beginning until I knew it would work, but after I knew it worked I would have told anyone. And I do.

I don't know about you, but I am so self conscience about myself as it is. Don't let anyone get in your way about this. You are doing it for yourself and they should support you in your efforts. Good luck!!!

I just told them I had to have a procedure done. I'm not one that gives out a lot of personal information so they didn't ask. I didn't tell them specifically because I don't want to have to deal with the 'how much have you lost' inquiries on a regular basis. When I lose weight I will tell them how because there are several others that could benefit from it.

I told everyone exactly what I was doing. I get a lot of questions from people and their spouses but I like not having to hide anything. And when I wasnt feeling well after surgery everyone was very understanding and encouraging. I work in a small office though so I imagine its different. I am proud that I have gotten my band am willing to do whatever it takes to improve myself. I dont care how skinny they are. Good for them! I am on my way to joining them!

I hope that I can have that kind of strenght after I have the surgery...Well, actually, I hope I can find it before the surgery. I'm still on the fence with what I'm going to tell them, but I'm seriously considering telling my boss I have to have my gallbladder removed. The recovery time is the same and that way it won't be wierd when I come back to work, and it might "explain" at least to them why I'm loosing weight afterwards. Would a little white lie be so bad? Probably, but it's my body and it's none of their business.

I'm proud of my decision, and I really don't care who knows. I can quote Captain Jack Sparrow when they say to me, "But you won't be able to eat anything ever again!" My reply, and I quote, is, "Only a little."

Darr :girl_hug:

I work with only men so didn't say anything but that I was getting an outpatient surgery done and that is all they knew or asked. We all went out to lunch last Fri. and I was a little nervous that I might eat something and it get stuck. I just nibbles on the appitizers which started to hurt so I stopped and then for lunch had clam chowder with a side salad. They didn't say anything and it went okay. They know I have lost a lot of weight but told them portion control.....just didn't mention one little detail.......of the band. They think it is just will power but I feel it is no ones business that I have the band. It is my personal decision and don't want others gossiping about me because I made this decision. Only a couple of friends know I have it so it isn't discussed very often. I figure once I loose all the weight and maintain it I can open up more to the people I feel might be interested in it.