Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people at work?

I am getting banded on Sep. 7th and I still haven't told anyone at work. How is everyone else dealing with it? Are you telling people you are getting the band? Are you telling them you are getting surgery? Any hints?:help:

I have told my boss and a few people that I work with. There are quite a few nurses that in Critical Care where I work, who have had the gastric bypass but I will be the first with the lap band. I tried to keep it quiet at first, but once a couple of people knew, everyone seemed to know.

I am telling everybody when the time is right, not all at once, but as the subject lends itself to it. I don't know about you all, but there is a lot of food going around my workplace ( I am a school teacher), and lots of events centered on food, so people notice and ask and offer more food etc... therefore I will tell so they will understand why I am not being sociable and eating.

I tell the people that work in my office. They are all very supportive. My biggest supporter is my boss. He had it done 4 years ago said it was the best thing he ever done.

I have also told all my brothers and sister (8 altogether) and children and they support me all the way.

I find this surgery to be very personal. I would love to feel comfortable telling people but I don't. For now I plan to tell people that I am just watching my carbs and portion sizes.

For me the surgery was a very personal thing. I did all of my research and educated myself about the band. The few family members I did tell were full of questions, it was like I had to sell them on it in order for them to be supportive of me. I had hernia repair at the same time I had the band. I choose not to tell anyone at work about it. So if they asked about me having surgery I could tell them, without lying, that I had hernia surgery. I have found that not telling was the best decision I made. I just didnt have the patients to educate anyone else about what I was going through. I do not have the on lookers at every meal and the questions about what I can and cannot eat. I may feel diffrent about it later, or I might feel that my process could help someone else down the road. But now I am happy about my decision. Just remember, once you tell, you cannot take it back. So be ready.............. Just my opinion.

I haven't told any of my family. This has been a very difficult decision for me. the reason I haven't is because my family is very critical of my weight. I know that I couldn't tell my parents without them bringing it up at every family function and sadly I couldn't trust them to keep it to themselves. I really didn't want to have to go to family weddings, etc and have people talking about how I had to get surgery to lose weight. Did anyone else struggle with this?

Luckily I worked for a very small law firm and my mom just so happens to be the manager. :) There is only one attorney, my mom, a part-time accountant who I rarely see, and two other employees who work from home. I've been very open about my decision to have this surgery with my family and friends. I haven't told the attorney that I work for but I don't think I would feel uncomfortable speaking with him about it. I can understand how some people may not feel comfortable talking about this with family, friends and co-workers. The decision for me to be open about getting surgery was the best decision for me because I have the best support system now. Good luck to you all!

Hey, I will be banded on Sept. 7th as well! I work in a medium sized dental office. I work with the receptionists and the office manager mainly. I told them because they were around for all my pre-op stuff, phone calls, appointments.... I figured I had to tell them since they were covering for me for all these appointments. They were very supportive. Of course theres some people at work that I just plain don't like. I don't want them in my business! So only a few choice people know. I think your more "accountable" when people aorund you know.

The first time I had the surgery I just told people I was taking a few days off for personal days. It was midsummer, everyone else had been taking vacations here and there and I figured it was my turn. No one I hadn't told personally about it was aware that I'd had anything done when I returned the next week.

This time I said I was having "minor abdominal surgery." In my small office it's no secret that I've lost a lot of weight, but I don't relish discussing the details with my three male bosses. So I just gloss over it and no one is rude enough to pry.

I have to take off about 3 hours from work for my pre-surgical check in and work-up. I had gotten in late from meeting with the surgeon and my boss knew I had a "doctor's appointment" so I just told him that I had to have further testing done (the pre-surgical appointment, I'm sure there will be tests) and that the doctor thinks I may need surgery. He didn't ask a single question, he said, that's totally fine, don't worry about work. And that was it. I think he's so scarred that it's "Female issues" he would rather die than know anything more. Also our firm just merged with another and apparently one of the new partners has recently lost a significant amount of weight and he eats so supper healthy and strict, not even cake on his birthday, that everyone is talking about eating healthier. So I'm just going to start talking about eating healthier too. And i'm buying the Nike ipod Nano and I'm going to sign up for a 5K. Since everyone in my office loves ipods that will be fun to talk about and then everyone will think that it's just the exercise. So there is no lying (well flat out lying) and I was surprised at how easy it was to get time off, even though I have taken up all my vacation time this year. Here's to no more beach pictures with a beached whale hiding under the worlds biggest beach towel and a t-shirt!:whoo:

I haven't told anyone except 2 people in my choir. I just stated that I would be having surgery and needed to be on a liquid diet for approximately 6 weeks. Having had 2 previous serious abdominal surgeries this is nothing unusual. I haven't even told my husband yet. The only thing is I'm having my surgery in Mexico. So, I am praying that all goes well and that there are no emergenices. :notagree

I am very open with my weight, but I am choosing to keep this one to myself. My husband and best friend know and one of the teachers in my building guessed what I was doing one day when I had to leave at the end of the day. (we had a previous discussion before I had made my decision...she too is overweight)

I NEVER take time off work, so it will be difficult to keep this a secret for too long. I am a school administrator and unfortunately everyone knows when I am not in the building because I have to "arrange" for coverage!

Working on keeping my mouth shut!

Have a good day!

I think that is a personal decision. My surgery is on SEPT 4th. I only told my family and very close friends. I own a painting company and I feel this is my own personal business. How do you feel?