Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It Necessary To Have Help At Home?

Hi,

Single mom of 15 year old daughter. The case manager for my gastric sleeve knows she is the only other person with me. Now my step mom wants to come stay with me on discharge day. Lovely person but so annoying. The type that goes through your cabinets and closets without asking, stomps and speaks super loudly on the phone. We live in a tiny upstairs apartment. Anyway how essential is it to have someone with you first few days? My daughter can walk to school , heat up meals I will have prepared ahead. Man, I sound mean. My step mom is only a few years older than me I am 49 lol. I know she is trying help but I do not want to he stressed with a house guest. HELP surgery 6/8.

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

Hi!!

For the first 2-3 days I think so..after the 3rd day I was able to move around pretty easy, but the first 24hrs post discharge I was sleeping and my wife reminded me to sip Protein shakes.. for me i was not hungry so it was not having someone push me to get Fluid in the first 2 days post discharge. 3rd day I was flying well on my own, taking meds well drinking so-so :)..

So my suggestion would be, if someone wants to come help post discharge please accept it, providing your can tolerate there presence.

~MojoCAMI

I did not have anyone at home with me and did not need anyone. I am glad I was alone -- I didn't want anyone interrupting my naps, disrupting my habits, annoying me while I was trying to read or watch tv or whatever.

Probably good to have someone "on call" in the event you encounter something you need help with. Healing for the most part is a solo activity.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would say if your are spending the first 2-3 days in the hospital and they are making you get up and walk around you'll probably be fine on your own.

I spent two nights and they had me up and walking around the recovery ward every 2-3 hours. Completely alone when I was at home and had no problems. I was also taking 1-2 naps a day and sleeping for about 10 hours the first few days home so having someone around would have been annoying.

This will be different for everyone so I would play it by ear. For me all post-op pain was centered around my large incision, and I had very little nausea or other gastric discomfort.

If she annoys you, just tell her "no, thank you". You won't be an invalid. You won't likely feel up to driving is all, so plan around that for the first few days. Any reasonably competent teen is plenty enough help.

@@chele367 - ask her to be "on call" if you really need something, because you will have your phone with you in case you need her help. Politely decline the need for her to be at your house and tell her you will be sleeping most of the time anyways.

A competent teen will be there with you after school and through the night.

I didn't want someone with me all day either ~ but it was nice to know IF I needed their help (hubby and adult son) ~ that they were there. They pretty much left me alone ^_^

@@chele367 I would thank her but say it's not necessary. Maybe she could pre-make some meals for your daughter so you don't need to or stay while you're in the hospital. I am the type of person who doesn't want anyone around when I feel crappy.

Thanks everyone, the only time I have ever been admitted to the Hospital was during child birth and from what I recall I was a real B word and cursed at people lol. I just do not want to be in my room healing, listening to someone conduct their business via phone and asking me questions where is this where is that. Then I might as well be at work at my desk propped up lol. I have friends close enough if something goes down. This site is so amazing for the truth. People that have not gone through this have no idea and assume they know. THANK YOU

I live alone, the day I was discharged, which was 24 hours after surgery, my friend was here. The only thing she really helped with was filling my prescriptions. I was self sufficient and she left the next day.

Everyone is different though, it would hurt to have help, even if annoying. If you don't need her just send her home. Also even if she is annoying, you can fake sleep a lot.

Hi,

Single mom of 15 year old daughter. The case manager for my gastric sleeve knows she is the only other person with me. Now my step mom wants to come stay with me on discharge day. Lovely person but so annoying. The type that goes through your cabinets and closets without asking, stomps and speaks super loudly on the phone. We live in a tiny upstairs apartment. Anyway how essential is it to have someone with you first few days? My daughter can walk to school , heat up meals I will have prepared ahead. Man, I sound mean. My step mom is only a few years older than me I am 49 lol. I know she is trying help but I do not want to he stressed with a house guest. HELP surgery 6/8.

Im a single mom too.. (Kids are 18 and 13) my surgery was May 10th.. I had my daughter (my youngest) stay home from school for Thursday and Friday to care for me..and I was so happy that I did because I needed help getting up, remembering to drink , i woukd drop stuff. and showering and walking.... She was a great help !! My Doctor even wrote her a note for school.. So to answer your question , if your step mom may cause more damage, just keep her on call and rely on your daughter for a few days, you should be fine ,just as long as you have someone for a few days, it helps!!

All the Best !!

Hi,

This is something I am wondering about too.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App