Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facelifts, Botox, Injectables, Fillers, Lasers -- Plans, Stories, Prices, Problems, Results

I am considering fluffing up my face after weight loss surgery. Post-op nearly 21 months now, I'm a great-looking 70 years old, have lost 100 pounds, and am maintaining well at 135 pounds. My goals in this area are to (1) look like me, (2) look well rested, (3) look a little younger (but not a lot).

Suggestions? Stories? Got questions of your own? Please share them here.

Many thanks in advance! :)

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass. I am 67 years old. One of the problems I encountered after surgery was that my face began to severely wrinkle. These were very fine wrinkles. They made me look like I was 100 years old. My wife suggested that I use an oil on my face called Bio-Oil. It is available at CVS and Walmart and other stores. It did the trick. I put on a few drops on my face in the morning and it works fine. I am young again.

I would say first start with a good derm and chemical peels. A series of chemical peels will remove fine lines and plump your skin. Then go from there.

James, thank you.

But remember that women (including me) have been using moisturizers for decades. So if your bio-oil was the first moisturizer you've ever used it's likely I've already achieved the max benefits I'm going to get from oiling my face.

Nonetheless, I WILL try your bio-oil and see if it produces different results than my other moisturizers.

Again, thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know what I learn from using it.

I have always been fascinated by those "lifestyle lift" type of face lifts.

We do a good amount of botox at the office I work at, and I think the results are fantastic - our doctors are good at doing the shots near the eyes, for cosmetic as well as some medical reasons.

I am looking forward to hearing how this progresses for you!

I would say first start with a good derm and chemical peels. A series of chemical peels will remove fine lines and plump your skin. Then go from there.

(I assume you mean "dermabrasion"?)

Any specific kinds of chemical peels you've used? And where do you have practitioners who are good at this? Should I go to a plastic surgeon's office? Or are strip mall spas reliable places to have this work done?

(I assume you mean "dermabrasion"?)

Any specific kinds of chemical peels you've used? And where do you have practitioners who are good at this? Should I go to a plastic surgeon's office? Or are strip mall spas reliable places to have this work done?

I really like the philosophy microdermabrasion peel, which you can do at home and might be a good place to start.

@@VSGAnn2014

No, not microdermabrasion, that is a baby measure. You need to find a good Derm that does all the fancy skin stuff and has a trained esthetician on staff in the office.

TCA Peels.. Those will get you dramatic results. They require downtime, you will want to avoid the sun and you can't wear makeup while your skin is peeling, and all your skin will peel.

https://www.realself.com/tca-peel/before-and-after-photos

You can google for more results.

TCA Peels are a good place to start, you can see how much you improve with those, then if that doesn't help I would move to surgery. I am thinking your face isn't in bad shape, since you haven't talked about it before and TCA Peels, strong enough and done with the right professional should get you results.

@@Christinamo7

My skin hates Philosophy, with a passion.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I started using a Retin-A/hydroquinone product prescribed by my dermatologist a year ago with great results. I have had one peel with very minor downtime - I'm starting out very slow because my skin is super-sensitive. I may decide to have some filler around my mouth but I'd like to try a couple more peels first.

I'd stay away from the strip mall places, find a derm office in your area that also has an esthetician on staff.

Plastic surgeons do peels also, but a Derm is going to be more affordable than the plastic surgeons office, but you might call around to both.

Edited to add.

I use these peels

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/At-Home-Chemical-Peels_c_53.html

I have done them to even out my skin and correct hyper pigmentation.

If you have the cash, I suggest starting with a pro, but if you tolerate them well, and can follow directions, you might want to start doing TCAs at home.

The people at Makeup Artist Choice are very knowledgeable and helpful. you can send them your pictures and they will make a recommendation. They might have something less dramatic than TCA for you to start with.

Also this cream is a miracle worker. I put it up there with LaMer, except its better.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/BellEvolve-Advanced-Repair-Cream_p_232.html

Check out their customer submitted before and afters. A lot of them are acne, but when you get to mature skin, the results are always dramatic.

http://makeupartistschoice.blogspot.com/

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I'm lovin' this thread!

And I've finally figured out that "Derm" means "Dermatologist."

;)

for retinol, I like the retinol res Q from the alpha hydroxy line. I just order it online, and as an aside, their massage oil is lovely too. I've used it off and on since my mid 30's, when the work of raising my wild boys started to make me look older than I wanted to.

I found it!!!!!! Hooray!!! I'm 44 and I love my Botox. I had a very deep crease on my forehead and my doctor told me overall I have face muscles like a man (gasp!) they are strong and I pull a lot in my forehead. I get the minimum done- I hate the vacant or overdone look. I just look well rested. My husband also said now I don't "make faces" when I listen to people- it's something I can't help!!! When I get shocked surprised or angry my face says it all without me opening my mouth. Botox has enabled me to sit with my mother in law and listen to her. ;). I get my forehead done and my crows feet. Notice a huge difference. My mom is 73 and uses retin a religiously. We are from the Florida keys (pre sunscreen years :) ) and the retin a has kept her face smooth and helps with dark spots. I use it on my upper lip - my doctor does not like fillers in or around lips so this is his recommendation and it's a huge noticeable difference. I look at it this way... We have done surgery. Come so far. Don't we deserve this???? :) :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jaxmom

Good grief! Those before/after pix at Makeup Artists' site are amazing.

And I'm loving the other tips here, too.

Please let us hear from others -- pro or con.

Here's another question: I have a friend who started using Botox about 10 years ago. She looked amazing. But now she just looks ... not so good. She's got duck lips and her eyes move, but not her eyelids or the skin around her eyes. And she doesn't seem to smile as much. (Maybe she can't?)

What's the downside of these products?