Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guest Rita Pickering

I just discovered this forum and my insides are shaking already. I was banded on May 14, 2003 by Dr. Lopez and received great care until one fill in which Carmen doubled my fill and I have had difficulties ever since that time. I decided to have another MD do my fills. Yesterday, Dr. Kuri said my barium was going outside the band and that it was eroded. I wasn't sure what that meant so I posted on one of the boards. Someone told me about this forum. Let me get this straight. Dr. Lopez has had SEVEN patients with eroded bands. Could this possibly be true? I'm obviously nervous about this whole thing. If anyone could tell me what it is like to have a band removed, PLEASE e-mail me and tell me your experience. (reets4524@msn.com) Also, someone said Dr. Lopez changed his staff. Are Nora and Carmen still with him?

Rita, has Dr. Kuri told you to have your band removed due to erosion? Have you tried the "search" feature at the top? Best of luck to you!

Hi Rita..

I was the one who told you about this site..I was also the one who emailed you personally when I heard your story on eroded bandsters..I hope you dont mind that I posted your post here so everyone was aware of it..When you say "doubled your fill" what do you mean exactly? and what problems were you having since that time? What made you switch to Kuri ? Thank you for sharing your story here with us as painful as it must be for you but everyone needs to be aware of this continuous problem with Lopez..I wish you all the best...

Rita: Nora is still with Lopez as far as I know. Carmen left along time ago was replaced by Dr. Gabby who has since left too. So not sure who Lopez' assistant is now. I am sure if Margret comes back she can fill you in on that issue.

If I were you though I would not even bother with Lopez anymore. He is an uncaring surgeon as far as old patients are concerned. At least that is my experience.

I am so sorry you are having the erosion problem. I too was banded by him in April of 2004 and so far no erosion. I had an Endoscopy done in July to rule it out when I started having problems with my port. THank god it was ok.

Guest Rita Pickering

No, of course I don't mind that you posted my message on this board. I welcome all the feedback I can get. Regarding the problem fill you asked about, I was at a 1.3 and went down for a fill. It went badly and hurt alot. The needle stuck and I kept telling Carmen it was too much. She informedme that she was the doctor and it was not too much , and she filled me to a 2.6, DOUBLE the amount I was at. I came home and was sick, my back ached, I couldn't eat. It was awful. I had some taken out here in Las Vegas (for $800) and eventually went down many months later for another fill. That's how I ended up with Dr. Kuri. I decided I'd had enough of Carmen. Others have told me a fill should never be more than .5 other than the first one). I've stayed with Dr. Kuri since then, but I have not been the same. My weight loss has stabilized, and I've even gained 10 lbs. That's why I went down this weekend. I couldn't understand why and Dr. Kuri told me he could see that my band wasn't taking the solution and was eroded. As you know, this has been an awful experience. I am totally shocked to discover this site and all the others who have experienced this with Dr. Lopez. I though I researched him to death and now I feel utterly stupid for making that choice after reading all of this. Thanks for the support. I am so glad to hear from all of you. It's brought me comfort.

Hi Everyone,

I want to emphasize that the esrosion I was referring to is esphageal, caused from acid reflux. This other type of erosion described is obviously far more serious. I will read up on this and will discuss this with Dr. Lopez or his staff to see if I am at risk. I also want to clarify that I routinely use my husbands e-mail address to send and receive mail, Penni, you e-mailed me and I responded. Furthermore, I am not as hi tech as many of you are, being able to put pictures on the site etc. I occasionally go online and judging by the volume of e-mails I put on this site should be a clear indicator. I will continue to post my progress here because my experiences are just as relevant as everyone elses. I hope that all those who have had problems with their bands get better soon.

Love Margret

Banded July 26th

Dr. Lopez, Tijuana,Mexico

215/180/135

Margret, a couple short questions:

1. How do you know so much about me if you never read my personal medical file?

2. You claim Lopez is correcting all of his past problems. Why hasn't he contacted anyone from this post?

3. You threatened me IN WRITING. If you are not connected to Lopez or Gaby on a personal or employment level, what recourse were you planning to take against me?

4. Who are the people that we both know in the legal community that you planned on using against me (from your written threat to my PRIVATE e-mail account?)

Margret: If you use your husband's email then why would you sign it with his name? That seems slightly deceptive to me. Wouldn't you sign it with YOUR name?

No one said your experiences weren't as relevant as anyone elses. We have all said we would love to hear of your experiences regarding the band. I even said that in one of my posts here.

Also, if you were banded by Lopez you are at risk for erosion. Everyone that was banded by Lopez is at risk for erosion. Lately you hear of more of his patients with erosion than any other doctor. So there is your answer about being at risk. However, he might have changed his technique to put you less at risk.

Margret, did someone tell you that you have esophageal erosion? How did they diagnose that? Just curious, so that this is something we can all look out for. Did they tell you what could have caused the erosion to take place other than the acid reflux? How long did you have acid reflux before the diagnosis of esophageal erosion?

Hi Everyone,

When I went in for my October visit with Dr. Lopez, he examined the band,port and placement. He determined that everything was fine in that respect.All this was done in conjunction during the baruim swallow he also mentioned that gurgling which I was experienceing was caused by swelling in the esophagus. this was caused by frequent vomiting, which was caused by food getting clogged at the band. He put me on an Rx of Nexium and liquids a week later not feeling any better I went back and he removed .5cc of the fill which made a huge difference. After being on liquids for a few weeks and taking Nexium I tried to back to solids. Unfortunately, the swelling had not gone away completely and the original symptoms came back. I went to my primary care doctor who, gave me another Rx for Nexium. I e-mailed obesity Control Clinic explaining what had occurred and got a response back from Dr. Barba, who stated that I needed more time to heal before going back to solids. He also suggested that if the swelling did not go away, that I would need to have the fill removed to allow for better healing. This e-mail was sent to me within the last week. So If by the middle of the month I still cannot tolerate solid food I'll go back for a visit with Dr. Lopez.

Delarla, not to make light here but you actually tell alot about yourself in your postings. I'll bet if you go back and read some of them you'll see where you mention your name Lisa, and even more about your backround is listed in your profile. So thats how I know so much about you. Penni, I know when an e-mail is sent the persons name who registered the account pops up ie: Penni wrote;.... you must be referring to that. Tell you what guys, lets just focus on the topic of this site o.k.

Love Margret

I just went to see my Dr. and I asked him about this..he told me there is no such thing..it is either Esophagitis which is inflamtion or irritation/swelling of the esophagus

or Erosion of the band, 2 entirelty different things..I have Esophagitis, I just found out today but not from being filled too tight, it was from a Almost PB episode that I did not treat as a PB which iswhy I contiuned to irritate and inflame my esophagus. It can also happen from being filled to tight ..Iam on a medication to regulate my esophagus, Dr Ortiz told me the Prevacid or Nexium will not heal this alone...

Margret: When you or whoever sent the email to me it was signed at the bottom of the email by your husband. Not at the top. You have to PUT it there manually/deliberately whatever. Not sure what you are quoting me on in your last post?????

Here is what I have learned about being banded with PB (productive burp) issues.

If you eat something that won't go through the stoma you will PB

If you eat too fast then you can PB

If you eat something and then drink too much you can PB

The gurgling sounds we all get as part of the food passing through the stoma. It does not mean you have swelling it just means your food is passing through the stoma. IF you were told that means you have esophagitis then they were mistaken or you misunderstood or you misrepresented what you were told.

If you are frequently vomiting then that is different than acid reflux which you previously said was the cause of your esophagitis/erosion ??? whatever it was. If you are frequently vomiting then you are definitely filled too tight and are at risk for band erosion which can be a result of being filled too tight.

If you have esophagitis then you need to give yourself a break and rest your esophagous. I hope you seek other care. You are not being treated properly it sounds to me. I hope you get to feeling better Margret.

HOORAY!! for Michelle that she got the proper care.

Margret, here's your quote, "I know where you work and I know the same people as you, so you better watch out." Where did I post my job location? Who are these people that we both know? I've asked you this several times, but you always answer in bits and pieces.

Now I'm reading that you have food clogged in your port. Must be nice to have a port. Never knew food could get clogged in there. Sounds mighty unhealthy. I thought the port only held saline. Can anyone explain? How does food get outside the stomach to get clogged in the port?

LOL Lisa I missed that part about the clogged port statement. She is talking in circles anyway.