Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm another newcomer..

The latest for me is as such..

I waited 2 weeks for the clinic to review my paperwork and finally, I got a call on Friday from one of the nurses saying that they looked over it and passed the paperwork to a dietician who passed it over to the insurance verification folks. As it turns out, I'm covered 100% for the surgery, which is a huge relief! The nurse stated that my chart has been passed over to the scheduling department and someone will call me in the next couple of days to set up my consultation with one of the surgeons.

I'm really excited now!

jetlagjane: That is so awesome! I can't wait to be that size! *lol* I can't remember ever being under 180 or so. I figure with the pre-op stuff, I'll lose some weight. Was your 20 pound weight loss due to the pre-op?

nan42: Aww, I'm sorry he feels that way. As long as you're doing this for yourself, I think you'll be fine. Now, if you were doing it for him and he were feeling that way.. B) but sometimes you have to put yourself first and do what you know is best for you.

I got the call from the clinic last Tuesday while I was at work. I'm scheduled to see the surgeon for the initial consultation with him on Tuesday (9/18) in the afternoon. That'll be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing whether he thinks I'm a candidate and hearing what he has to say.

Also, in a strange note.. I got home Thursday afternoon and noticed one of the new tenants in my apartment complex was sitting in his car. He had just arrived minutes before me, obviously, and he was finishing up a conversation on his cell phone. I fumbled in my car collecting my things. When I got out, he had already started up the stairs and entered the apartment above mine. I didn't think anything more of it, other than, "So that's the guy who sounds like he's stomping around all day." I went to get my mail and started for the building as he came out of his apartment suddenly. We passed each other on the sidewalk and we smiled and exchanged pleasantries. The whole time I kept thinking, "Where have I seen him before? I know I've met him somewhere."

Friday afternoon, another tenant and I were chatting outside briefly when she mentioned, "Yeah, you know one of those weight loss doctors lives in our building." BINGO!

So, in a strange twist of fate, the surgeon I'm meeting with on Tuesday afternoon lives upstairs above my apartment! Apparently, the other tenant told me that she's spoke with him (because when she found out who he was, she went upstairs and proceeded to bother him at home with questions about the surgery for herself.. LOL) and he's living here while he's having a home built.

Weird, weird, weird.. who would have thought, y'know?

Anyway, I'll update after the consultation on Tuesday. Hopefully it'll be good news. (And hopefully it won't be awkward when he realizes I live in his building.)

I just got back from my consultation with the surgeon. It went alright.

The surgeon looked over my medical history and advised me that with my BMI (38), I needed 2 co-morbidities in order to justify having the procedure done. Looking over my medical history I submitted, he said I only had one - joint pain. I couldn't remember everything I had marked down, so I listened as he told me that the best thing for me to do would be to come back for a follow-up in 3 months to see where I was.. was I gaining, was I losing, maintaining? Did I have any new problems? Then take it from there. He did suggest sending me to be tested for sleep apnea after questioning whether I snored (no) and I admitted my sleeping habits were irregular. I mentioned to him that I have had persistent acid reflux over the past couple of months and it's caused me to cut out carbonated beverages completely. He flipped back through my paperwork and acknowledged that he had overlooked that. I had checked it, and yes, that was the second co-morbidity I needed. Still, he wanted to do the sleep apnea test.

He did say that first I need to submit some additional paperwork relating to my medical history. He wants a letter from my dermatologist (since I was diagnosed with melanoma in '03) stating I have clean margins and have had no problems since the diagnosis and subsequent treatment. He also wants a 5 year weight history for insurance purposes. (I've called in a favor at my PCP's office and I've got an appointment on Friday with my doctor to have him provide that info and give me a once-over skin check. I no longer see a dermatologist as mine stopped taking my insurance and the only other one in town is not accepting new patients currently. I'll need to have him write up a letter explaining the circumstances with my dermatologist so I can fax that with my weight history.)

Once that info is received, then he says we can begin scheduling everything. He advised me of the routine pre-op stuff that he wants done.. a gallbladder ultrasound, (I believe:) a barium swallow, the sleep study, some lab work, and so forth.

He told me that he thinks I'll be a great candidate for the surgery if I have it done, as I'm young and he says I seem very motivated and dedicated. He also told me that it'll probably be within 2-3 months. But once all of the test results are in, they'll set up a surgery date for me.

So, that's how it looks for now.

Should I start calling around to set up my procedures? I've got a friend who works at a radiological facility, so I'm hoping she can help me get squeezed into the schedule for the barium swallow and the gallbladder ultrasound. The lab work will be a breeze; I can do that on my lunch break. The sleep study is what I'm worried about. We'll see how it goes, though. There are more procedures he wanted, but I can't remember at the time.

I'll keep this thread posted.

Monday afternoon, I had an appointment with the surgeon. I gave them the documentation they requested from my PCP/dermatologist. They gave me a list of the stuff they want me to have done for pre-op..

-Some lab work

-Pulmonary function test/clearance

-Psychology consultation/clearance

-Sleep study

-Abdominal ultrasound

-Copy of my results from 7/07 OBGYN routine exam

-EGD/endoscopy procedure

I started scheduling everything on Monday after I left the surgeon's office. I had the ultrasound this morning when I snagged a great cancellation.. I have the pulmonary function test tomorrow morning.. the EGD/endoscopy procedure is scheduled for the 15th.. I have a follow-up with the surgeon on the 17th.. the sleep study is on the 22nd.. I received a copy of my exam results from my OBGYN's office in the mail the other day (so that's in my paperwork to take back to the surgeon's office on the follow-up appointment).. and all I'm waiting on now is the psychiatrist's office to call me with an appointment date and time. I'm trying to get everything done by the end of the month.

There's some more stuff I have to do with their clinic, though. I have to go to a 3-hour long nutrition group session, then go to a private 1-hour nutrition session as well. Once that's done, I should be cleared for surgery.

Also, although my insurance covers the procedure and all of the pre-op testing 100%, I still have to pay fees to the surgeon's office. Total, it's gonna cost me $550. Not bad. There's a $250 program fee that all patients have to pay, then there's a $300 fee that covers the nutrition sessions, plus a visit from the nutrition advisor to check up on me after the surgery, and I'm assuming all of the fills thereafter as it mentioned post-surgery follow-ups. Not bad, really.

So far, things look like they're going to be fine. The ultrasound tech who did my procedure this morning was a former co-worker (I'm in the medical field) who informed me at the end of the exam that my gallbladder looked fine, and she didn't see anything abnormal or anything to be concerned with. That's good. Let's hope the rest of it goes like that.

I'll keep this posted.