Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm another newcomer..

Hi there, everyone.

I'm Secret (obviously not my real name.. heh) and I'm looking into having the lapband procedure done. I'm 23 years old and I've been unable to keep my excess weight off over the past 4 years. Finally, I started seriously considering the lapband surgery and I have a conference to attend on August 23rd, and from there, I can set up a consultation with a local doctor.

Basically, the reason why I'm using a goofy alias is because I don't have the most supportive people in my corner. Some friends of mine do not agree with surgical weight loss, and some family members are extremely critical and can be biting at times when it comes to my weight. Despite that, there are others in my life who are wonderful and who understand why I'm doing this. Still, I'd rather keep it on the low to avoid any awkward conversations.. especially when I don't even know that this is going to happen for me.

Currently, I'm 247 pounds and I'm 5'8".

We'll see what happens though! For now, I'm going to click around here and read everyone's stories and get a decent understanding of what I'm in for!

Thanks!

Welcome Secret! Good luck on your journey - this site is awesome, learned so much about the procedure and what to expect pre and post op. I'm not banded yet, but hope to be soon!

Maria

Welcome ...and your secret is safe here....I don't blame you for not telling everyone...sometimes it is best just to keep it to yourself or share the info with just a few close friends...You need to surround yourself with supportive people and you will find lots of support here in LBT(Lap Band Talk)....I hope that you find the answers you are looking for...I was banded on 4/6/07 and I have lost 46 lbs...this is amazing..I couldn't be happier with my band...best thing I have ever done for myself...I was a self pay...$15,000.00 and worth every single penny...

Hi Secret - welcome!

I don't think you need to tell everyone you know - especially if you don't think they will be supportive. I am telling only a few people and maybe that will change in the long run. I don't need their approval - I'm doing this for me and my life. This is something I have had to learn and really it's not selfish to do something for your health!

Hi there secret,

I understand you, about a year and a half ago I mentioned my thoughts of surgery to my mother and a few others her reaction was probably the harshest and most unreceptive reaction that I recieved. SHe has always been a place of strong support for me, but at 5'7" 337, I continued to research the band, I found out my insurance would not pay and had to convince my husband that this was the best for our family. I prayed alot, found the money and strength. After the decision was made, I went back and sat both of my parents down togethor and explained the decision. Sometimes even the people who love you can't see what is best for you. I believe that my always thin mother truely does not understand the feelings and life of an overwieght person. Today I am not sure that she supports my decision, but she is not vocally campaigning against it. I know after the surgery she will come around when she sees how much better my life will be.

Keep you chin up and make the right decision for yourself not others.

All will be well!

Secretstolen-I am having surgery on the 17th. This is something I researched extensively and was not a rash decision. My family/friends are supportive mostly because I told them I needed their support. I think that people who have never had a weight problem or addiction can not relate. It is so easy for them to say, "well, if you just eat less, exercise more, etc." They are right, but food is an addiction, but you need it to survive. Hang in there and try to ask them to see your point of view. Good luck!

Hey Secret! Seems like everyone has given you great advice, so all I have to say is Welcome and Good Luck with your decision.

Ang

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the lovely words and advice! It's nice to have a place where I can go to read up on things and meet others who have gone through this kind of thing.

Tonight is the conference where the banding doctor speaks. Our local weight loss clinic (which is new to the area, but the doctors are well experienced.. and I Googled them to read what others had to say about them) doctors require that you attend one of their conferences in the presentation rooms in the hospital before you can set up a consultation. Tonight's the night. I called the office about an hour ago to get an idea of how far out the consulatations are being scheduled, but the girl I spoke with was a little vague, but she told me I could call on Monday and get an appointment. (I'll probably call tomorrow just for good measure.)

I've already checked with my insurance and my employer's benefits department and as of 8/1/07, my Aetna insurance covers the procedure as long as it's done by our new bariatric physicians. So, that's a good thing. Plus, the only screening for it is whatever tests/hurdles the bariatric doctors require before surgery.

So, I'm hopeful that things are going to be okay.

The friends that I've shared the news with have been okay with it. Only one has been exceedingly understanding about it. The others are kind of passive to it, which is fine, I suppose. At the end of the day, the really great question to ask myself is: If I'm active and I'm making healthy choices with my life and my diet and I can't take the weight off, then what's the sense in continuing to be overweight? I'm really lucky because I have low blood pressure, low cholesterol, and I'm in good health - but who's to say one day that won't change and my excess weight won't cause other problems to develop?

Eh. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the conference tonight will be very informative and that the doctor will be able to see me soon for a consultation. I'm impatient, I suppose. :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the great words of wisdom! I can't wait to make some new friends here. :)

Hi secret and welcome to the site. You will find the support you need here. This is a great site. I go for my first fill tomorrow and i am excited about that. I love my band. Lost 19 pounds so far. Donna

Hey there Secret! I'm also brand new here and I totally understand about what you are saying about people in your life having mixed reviews. I'm 5'5 and am at 210 lbs. I'm getting banded in Sept, and I'm so nervous and excited. I just wanted to say good luck with everything and let me know how everything goes!

~ Miss V

Secret: Don't let anyone talk you out of anything you want to do to better your life. Stick to your guns & have tons of confidence. This is for you so who cares what other people think. You will have the support of your family once the weight comes off & you are healthier with lower cholesterol, etc.... Hang in there!

Hi Secret, I kinda know where your comming from, I Just told my husband yesturday and my sugery date is 9-6-07. I chose not to discuss it with certain family members and friends everybody has a opinion but the bottom line you have to do what makes you happy.

This online forum is the best thing ever, pretty much you will find out everything u need to know, there are a lot of pictures the people are very honest at the same time they are very nice..

Essence 36

LI, New York

Thanks, everyone!

So far, everything looks good to go. I filled out all the new patient information with stuff like health history and so forth, and faxed that over on Friday morning. I also called my PCP who signed off on the authorization form that the clinic required from our general physician. I called the insurance again just to double check and was told that if everything is done in my employer's facility (since I work for a non-profit health organization), I won't owe anything and the insurance will cover it all. (Of course I don't think that's true, so I'm planning ahead for deductibles and copays.)

Now comes the waiting game. I have to wait for the clinic to call me and let me know if they think I'm a candidate and when I can come in for a consultation. The staff member who spoke at the conference Thursday night said that it usually takes a couple days to review over everything, but if you don't hear anything from them in a week, call to check on it. I'm hoping I'll hear something on Monday.

We'll see!

Thanks again, you guys! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who are going for your first fills and your bands soon! How exciting! :huggie:

Only my husband and best friend know about my band and thats how it will stay with me! I'm 5'7 started off at 216llbs managed to loose 20llbs before I even looked at lap band. I've had my done 3 months and I tipped the scales at 160 this morning, I know I'm a goddess!!!!!!! your secret is totally safe and respected here. I which I'd had it done at 23. The very very best of luck! You'll have a real adventure, all your questions and fears will be answered on this forum, I seriously couldn't have done it with out this place!

I too have not had the surgery yet in oct (hope) I am giong to go to Mexico and not tell my partner. He wont understand why I would spend money on something I could do my self if I just ate less. Well that is what I think he would say.