Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just like I am entitled to my experience.

I definitely never felt like just a "business number" during either of my surgical experiences in Mexico. I felt genuine care and compassion from the people who I encountered, including my surgeons, nurses, techs, etc. I, like I assume nearly everyone, had my own host of pre and post-op concerns. I never felt like any of those went unaddressed. Even a year out from my surgery, I know that I can ask a question of my surgical team and get an answer within an hour or two. I feel very good about my decisions to have had two surgeries in Mexico in the past and my upcoming surgery in September.

Let's face it people- for some who have to self- pay for surgery, going over the border is the only choice they may have. Saying "aren't you worth it" is somewhat demeaning. We are ALL worth it. Unfortunately we don't ALL have the resources to afford it. I'm lucky. Good coverage by insurance and a world- class medical team via the University of Chicago. Sure- it's a win- win for me.

BUT- the likely benefits to a persons overall health, especially when it is a self- pay situation in choosing over the border surgery FAR outweighs any hand holding your surgeon may do. Yes, I see my doc at post op visits. But my PCP could hold my hand while he is following up on my care just as well.

Having an opinion is one thing- projecting negatives that are hurtful- possibly due to finances, quite another. We all walk different paths in life. How we get from A to B doesn't matter as long as we get there.

Play nice people.

"We all walk different paths in life. How we get from A to B doesn't really matter as long as we get there.​"

Really? I have learned the hard way that it certainly DOES matter how one gets from A to B. I hope to God that you never have to experience what I did before you learn how much it does matter. I will pray for you.

MY opinion about the cost issue stands. One is definitely worth waiting until one can save the funds/qualify for funding. to have the surgery here--at home---in the USA.

I repeat: if everything goes well, going to out of the country for WLS is a find choice.

I'm not that much of a gambler with my well being.

When researching, one needs to investigate the "dark" side of having WLS out of the country as well as the cases with happy endings. That is my point! The "bad" experiences percentage is way too high.

I am a USA flag waver, I admit. I do not think that is a bad thing.

On this day: MY opinion.

"We all walk different paths in life. How we get from A to B doesn't really matter as long as we get there.​"

Really? I have learned the hard way that it certainly DOES matter how one gets from A to B. I hope to God that you never have to experience what I did before you learn how much it does matter. I will pray for you.

I am a USA flag waver, I admit. I do not think that is a bad thing.

On this day: MY opinion.

Valentina, dear Valentina, so, you are telling me that SHOULD I have chosen to get an associates degree and then take 5 years to complete my bachelors degree it MATTERS??? The degree is not the same?

Or, if I had to use invitro fertilization to achieve pregnancy and deliver a healthy baby that is better- or worse- than "normal" conception and delivery of a healthy baby?

PUH-leeze! Get a grip. You are acting like judge and jury. There are CRAPPY doctors all over the US practicing medicine without censure- because they haven't been caught!

And do not- for ONE MINUTE assume your journey has been harder or easier for any other person on this forum or in the "real" world. You do not know what the circumstances of the OP are- nor do you know mine. That is pretty dang assumptive of you, and we ALL know the old saying about AssUMe-ing. You'd be wise to remember that.

As for praying for me, I'll take all the prayers I can get. Thank you. But don't forget! I get the distinct impression you have a direct line to Heaven's ears.

As for flag waving- good on you! I'll join you anytime, any place, given the RIGHT cause. I don't think this qualifies.

On this date-MY opinion.

what?

"There's your sign"...

Prayers going up for----all of us.

I'm stuck in the middle of self pay in the US and self pay in Mexico. I have done research on both options and I can't decide. I am scared to go out of the country and never see the same doctor again but the price difference is huge .

Surgery here would be 16,500. Please help. What is your input or opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctors prices were $25,000. I almost had to self pay. I would've done a TON of research but Mexico was an option

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Bariatric Pal Mexico is the way to go. I've not had surgery yet but the extensive research I've done, and the very public nature of this website and their openness convinced me to choose Bariatric Pal Mexico. Follow up? San Diego is a quick flight from Seattle and I can see the surgeon again.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took their time in replying and giving their opinions. I truly thank you because I finally have my surgery date for June 20th in Tijuana Mexico. I am scared, excited, nervous, but I feel a big sign of relief!!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took their time in replying and giving their opinions. I truly thank you because I finally have my surgery date for June 20th in Tijuana Mexico. I am scared, excited, nervous, but I feel a big sign of relief!!

Congratulations! You'll be joining us the losers' bench in no time!

@@garciagiss - there are a lot of folks here who had to go to Mexico. If I didn't have the insurance coverage for WLS, I probably would have done that too.

YOU do what you need to do to be healthy. I would see if there is a "local" place to go for a follow-up, because that is me.

Good luck and keep posting!