Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS hair and period issues

I have PCOS and I'm currently 5 months post op sleeve. I just recently started having issues with my hair falling out. However, the hair everywhere else has started growing in like crazy on my face, neck, and even my lower back! I've always had problems with the hair in those areas but it's been controllable. Now no matter what I do or how often it seems it just keeps coming in thicker and thicker. Anyone else experience this? Also, how long after your sleeve before you started ovulating?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Sarah 82 Have you not had a period since your operation? I would touch base with your PCP or Gynecologist - they will probably want to run some lab work to see where your hormone levels are. The hair loss is normal from what I've read - but I haven't heard anything about Hair growth being a problem but since it's all hormone related - it makes sense.

Good luck! Let me know how you make out!

I am a week post op and I have pcos. Is there any good news from anyone yet? Did it go away? Pcos is a major reason for me getting the surgery

On 2017-02-20 at 1:52 PM, lambypie said:

I am a week post op and I have pcos. Is there any good news from anyone yet? Did it go away? Pcos is a major reason for me getting the surgery

I've talked with lots of other PCOS sleevers and they all seem to say that the surgery helps with their insulin resistance, helps with their Patches of darkening skin, helps to make their periods more regular, helps them get pregnant naturally... but we are stuck with the hair!

I'm hoping that once I reach a more normal weight my hormones will even out enough that I'll at least be able to get electrolysis and have it work! I once looked into it and the doctor I saw told me not to bother because the minute my hormones fluctuated I'd be getting it all back again :(

On 2/26/2017 at 8:13 PM, teacupnosaucer said:

I've talked with lots of other PCOS sleevers and they all seem to say that the surgery helps with their insulin resistance, helps with their Patches of darkening skin, helps to make their periods more regular, helps them get pregnant naturally... but we are stuck with the hair!

I'm hoping that once I reach a more normal weight my hormones will even out enough that I'll at least be able to get electrolysis and have it work! I once looked into it and the doctor I saw told me not to bother because the minute my hormones fluctuated I'd be getting it all back again :(

Agh, i feel so doomed. how unfair. thank you for replying to me. this hair is so awful, even when i put on makeup, my foundation shows off my facial hair more (the light fuzz hair) its so annoying and embarrassing. and im sure you know how I feel, thank you. I hope all goes well for you!

I know exactly how you feel! I hate it so much and think it's so unfair :(. Like, I am already fat and covered in acne, you gotta give me a beard too? whine whine

I know exactly how you feel! I hate it so much and think it's so unfair :(. Like, I am already fat and covered in acne, you gotta give me a beard too? whine whine

Lmao you just made my day that's hilarious, mostly because it's true ahah

Yeah the hair hasn't lessened for me and I'm almost 9 months post-op. I have had a 'regular' period the last 3 months, though. And I had like maybe 2 periods a year for the last 7 years, so that's a good sign. The hair is annoying, but it's just a part of my routine to take care of it at this point. I'd rather deal with the hair then the lack of fertility and the weight.

On 3/1/2017 at 7:01 PM, clc9 said:

If you have dark hair and light skin, laser hair removal is awesome. I have PCOS and had it done maybe 15 years ago. It didn't come back.

Really??!!?! Most people I've read that tried laser removal said they saw it lessen but it still was there. I'd given up hope on it.

On 2017-03-01 at 8:01 PM, clc9 said:

If you have dark hair and light skin, laser hair removal is awesome. I have PCOS and had it done maybe 15 years ago. It didn't come back.

this is what I'm going to do once I get down to a normal weight!!!

15 hours ago, MissKay said:

Really??!!?! Most people I've read that tried laser removal said they saw it lessen but it still was there. I'd given up hope on it.

Maybe people are different, but sometimes I think a few people had it not work for whatever reason (maybe the tech didn't really know how to work the machine, didn't have it high enough, they didn't go for the prescribed number of visits, etc.) and word gets out it doesn't work for PCOS sufferers. Go to someone good, not necessarily cheap and try it. I had it done by a nurse in a plastic surgeon's office because I didn't trust that the local waxing joint knew how to calibrate the machine properly. So glad I did it!

Well that's good to know! Thanks for sharing that :)

lmfao hahaha I hear you I have PCOS too and I have a little hair on my boobs and hella mustache! My boyfriend legit pets it sometimes like "baby you gotta take care of this" YA DONT SAY! [emoji35][emoji23][emoji23]