Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you

I am a painter. I paint mostly portraits. I use very strong colours and I like decorative lines. My work has been influenced by such painters as Francis Bacon, Egon Schiele, Foujita, Klimt.

I also read a lot. I have eleven bookcases in the house and in some of them the books are double or triple parked. I haven't yet read all the books which I own.

And I am kind of in the same situation with my CD collection. I bought a lot of CDs from my wife-in-law after my ex-husband (who was a musician) died. The guy left over 5,000 CDs which his wife didn't know about. I now own around 500 CDs and I haven't yet heard 'em all.

I have a digital camera but I haven't figured out how to work the damn thing. Ditto for my iPod.

It's a good thing that I am retired. I have a lot of work to do.

What is a freecell?

I had no idea you were a painter, green. I am too, of sorts. But I don't follow that dream for some reason. I can get an awesome natural high from painting and yet, my paints sit idle and dry up... weird.

I much prefer lurking to posting although lately I have broken that rule (but am trying very hard to revert back to lurking).

My hubby is 11 years older than me.

I am a licensed nurse but have now chosen a different field entirely.

I am a natural redhead.

No, don't go back to lurking!

I much prefer lurking to posting although lately I have broken that rule (but am trying very hard to revert back to lurking).

HA! Just TRY lurking. We will *find* you and haul your butt back out to posting. :)

That's right Mrspruett! We won't let you get away with just sitting, lurking and fuming! We need your thoughts!!!

Here goes...

- I hope that my life isn't "as good as it gets"

- Have had 3 major careers - Computer programmer, Family Counselor, Business Owner - Florist

- Love to shop at the thrift store

- Always feel like I want to change careers again but don't know what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 47...lol). I really long to own a florist again. My dream was taken from me when I was robbed 2 times and had to close. Even though it was the hardest job (physically) I've ever had, it was mine, I was great at it and I miss it.

- I had to file bankruptcy

- I read self-help books for fun. I often read 5 at a time depending on what I feel I need help with at the time. I usually don't finish them either.

- I am very creative and crafty. I often feel like a "jack of all trades and master of none"

- I long to live in a beach house but I don't know where

- I love my dogs as much as my family. I am very overprotective of them. It really upsets me to hear dog abuse stories or see a dog get hit by a car

- I long to be a published writer. I start writing books and stories but never finish them. Even if I would self-publish I wouldn't know what to do with them then

- I've always wanted to teach college psychology

- One of my biggest fears is getting old and not having any money

- I am addicted to sleep & naps

- I LOVE to shop on EBAY

- Seeing snakes & wasps will literally take my breath away

- I love to stay at home. I call in sick a lot at work

- I love to watch plastic surgery shows

- I follow celebrity gossip like I know these people personally

- I get bored VERY easily

- I hate confrontation

- I am deathly afraid of guns & being shot

- I could probably afford another car with all the money I spend eatting out

- I love to take classes for fun. I feel like I can learn anything I put my mind to.

There...you probably know more about me than you ever wanted to.

I'm soliciting advise on the career thing.

Thanks,

Jeanie

What is a freecell?

I had no idea you were a painter, green. I am too, of sorts. But I don't follow that dream for some reason. I can get an awesome natural high from painting and yet, my paints sit idle and dry up... weird.

What kind of painting do you do? Green wants to know more.

I play tournament Scrabble

I love Doris Day movies, especially the funny ones

I have been married for 21 years, am crazy about my husband

I have 2 tattoos, and my nose is pierced (little diamond on the right side)

A long time ago, I lived in a commune

This is my second marriage

Um, I'm addicted to the Gidget movies. You know, the ones from the '50s or '60s. Wow, that's embarassing. I used to nag my mom to rent "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" all the time.

Green: Watercolors. The difficulty for me is that I tend to want to make a pencil drawing first that is perfect - and then have fun with the watercolors to make it pretty. I had a lady once (who was a pastel artist) tell me that a painting of mine, which I actually liked, looked like a paint by numbers. Yee-gads. Could she have been any more insulting? I would love to learn to be a watercolor artist who sits on top of the mountain with wet brush in hand, slashing out the scene below with a minimum of brush strokes. Then stand back and say, by jove I think I've got it. This masterpiece looks like a re-creation of that valley and it leaves me breathless. Usually I draw, look at it, gag, erase, draw, draw, look, gag, erase... and so on.

Cota129: Exciting stuff, tournament Scrabble. I play Scrabble with my DH sometimes. Any insider hints you can slip me so I can beat him more often? Haven't heard the term "commune" for a long time. I thought about it once. The 7 of us even looked for a farm in Virginia, but you can't buy a farm with twigs and berries. Later I decided that I was probably not cut out for commune living. I value my space and alone time too much. Did you like it?

Jazlady: I share some of the items on your list. I think if new challenges are fun for you, sticking to one career might be difficult. I have had lots of interesting and fun "careers" but they only kept me interested for about 2 to 3 years at a time. Makes you feel like you don't possess the ole stick-to-it-tive-ness gene sometimes, but I've learned to embrace the challenges and not worry about it when I want to move on. Of course it doesn't make for tenure with a company that provides all the benefits of a lifetime career. But like you, I've been an independent contractor or business owner myself a lot too. Focus is what you and I need. And that's an illusive bugger sometimes.

laurend: If someone had asked me to guess which movies are on laurend's top 100 favorite movies list, Gidget movies wouldn't have even made last place. I am very surprised. You seem like such a solid, grounded, intellectual person. Gidget characters weren't exactly all that. But maybe you use them to mentally escape and allow your brain some rest from all that thinking! I appreciate that you are not an intellectual "snob" like some of my college buddies were! That makes you a much more interesting person, by far!

<p>

That I used to be a head ((into drugs (never addicted )) and dropped them cold turkey 15 years ago when my company gave a six month warning for random drug tests.</p> <p> </p> <p>edie
</p> <p> </p> <p>Me too, Edie! I've only been sober about 8 years though. I quit because my now DH doesn't do drugs.

I am a very good photographer and love taking pictures of my family. (I think I started taking pictures originally to keep form being in them.lol) I also scrapbook my pictures.

I am a natural redhead.

I LOVE to read and will read almost anything. I have lots of books, but try to keep my collection to a minimum. They are heavy to move and that makes DH very mad after lifting a couple of those boxes.

I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up (besides rich and skinny I mean)

There are 3 generations of police officers in my family.

I enjoy writing letters. Not emails. REAL letters - on paper, in envelopes, with stamps. lol

BJean, I used to work in watercolours. Because I had been taking photographs for awhile before I started painting this really liberated me from wanting to make things look "real." These days I mostly work in acrylics but I sure did enjoy working with aquarelles. I would do a loose undersketch in pencil, then draw over this in India ink and afterwards goof with the paints.

I always found working in watercolours to be kind of zen, that is to say that what you are doing when working in this medium is making a series of mistakes and then trying to use these to your advantage. You let the paint lead you. I dunno if this makes any sense........?

Acryllic is much, much easier for the artist to control. You can paint over your mistakes. I wonder how I would fare if I were to try working with watercolours now? It has been over 20 years.......

As for Scrabble and Boggle, I was nuts about these games. I had the computer versions of both which I found much more satisfying to play. There is something about waiting around for someone else to make his move which is very frustrating. Unfortunately my current PC is too sophisticated to accept the software for these games. *sob*

BJean: There is the Official Scrabble Dictionary and also websites like isc.ro where you can play for free against people of all play levels. The website is a very good practice tool. As far as the commune, I really am aging myself, aren't I?! It was a growing and exploring experience when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I could never do it now. I like my creature comforts too much. But many of the "hippie" principles and thoughts will carry with me forever.

laurend: If someone had asked me to guess which movies are on laurend's top 100 favorite movies list, Gidget movies wouldn't have even made last place. I am very surprised. You seem like such a solid, grounded, intellectual person. Gidget characters weren't exactly all that. But maybe you use them to mentally escape and allow your brain some rest from all that thinking! I appreciate that you are not an intellectual "snob" like some of my college buddies were! That makes you a much more interesting person, by far!

Yep, I tend to avoid movies that make me think. I just want to have fun and escape for a while. Give me Gidget, or some good car chases, or some big explosions, and I'll be happy. The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Die Hard, Bourne, and Lethal Weapon series are all faves of mine, as is The Hunt for Red October.

Okay, here it goes:

1. My husband is the only guy I've ever dated (started dating when I was 14, he was 17 and we married when I was 19)

2. My DH and I made out at Disney World on "It's a small world" ride while we were on a high school choir trip.

3. I love to sing

4. I like to paint trees

5. I've never colored my hair

6. Life-size Barbies freak me out, seriously... scares me to death (had a nightmare once that one was trying to kill me)

7. I'm a reality tv junkie - I watch American Idol religously

8. Ashamed to say I like soap operas (General Hospital and Days of Our Lives)

9. I have all 10 seasons of "Friends" and I have watched all 10 seasons at least 20 times. (How YOU doin....) love that Joey!