Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plantar Fasciitis

I had it and it took a while to go away. I went to a podiatrist who recommended getting specific sneakers (I don't recall what was so specific about them). She also said I could get cortisone shots if this didn't help---no, no, no.

I also was given orthotics and this contraption you wear at night on your foot. I'm not sure what helped it but I feel for you. It's awful!

I had it years ago and was miserable. I went to an podiatrist who wrapped it. I was told not to set that foot on the floor without the gauze wrap in place. I was also fitted for a custom orthotic. It was around this time that I discovered Birkenstocks, not terribly fashionable, but I could walk in them without pain.

I found that tennis shoes made the pain worse. Try any shoe without a heel: flip flops, birkenstocks and crocs. Avoid long walks because it doesn't hurt while you're walking, you hurt after.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had it, and it was terrible!

I saw my podiatrist, and she said buy a pair of Crocs. I did, and I haven't had a problem since, that was 5 or 6 years ago.

The key is to get them on your feet before your feet actually hit the floor and you stand up, and to wear them all the time when walking. There are plenty of styles, I wear the clog style a lot, around the house it's easy. I used to wear slippers or go bare footed, around the house. That is what caused the Plantar Fasciitis, she said.

I can wear regular shoes when out, at this point, and that doesn't seem to bother me at all. I've also done the frozen Water bottle to help with swelling, but as soon as I started to wear the Crocs my foot got so much better, and it fully healed! I tried expensive sneakers, with inserts, no luck at all.

Ohh....real Crocs, not the cheap knock-offs.

I still always wear Crocs when I am at home. From the moment I get up!

Edited by SkinnyDown

I had it years ago, then suddenly got it again last year.

The frozen Water bottle didn't help me as much as a bag of frozen peas under my foot. Maybe because I could sit there longer with the peas (because I didn't have to concentrate on rolling the Water bottle). I would rest my foot on a bag of peas at work, at my desk, as well as at home.

I just realized the other day that I haven't had foot pain in a couple of months now.

I've had it in both feet. I've done really well with shoe inserts and shoes with excellent arch support. I use these inserts in my athletic shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/Powerstep-Original-Orthotics-U-Womens-10-10-5/dp/B000V0BKDK?ie=UTF8&keywords=shoe%20insert&qid=1459975365&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

My favorite shoe brand with excellent arch support is Dansko. They make good-looking shoes I can wear to work (dress code is business casual).

My doctor also gave me a good exercise I use to this day when my feet/ankles feel tight: trace the alphabet with your foot.

@@rydersmama

are you sure you have the correct shoes for your feet? I know that as a runner it makes all the difference to make sure that your shoes are made for your foot, i.e. high arch, no arch, low arch. pronate, neutral, suponate. If your shoes work with your foot instead of against it, it may alleviate much of the PF pain. I recommend going to a running/walking shoe store and having them look at your walking to determine if your shoes are right.

Hope that helps.

pam

Thanks for all the advise guys. Yes, I do have proper shoes from a sports store.

I'm actually going to the dr in the morning because nothing of what I'm doing at home has helped. I'm beyond frustrated at this!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ugh..I went to my doctor for a referral she had on a pair of Nike and she advised me to never walk barefoot at home and wear comfort shoes...I am a bit pissed but I will deal with it for another week or so and then see her again.:-/

What you can do to relieve it depends on what's causing it. Mine is from ridiculously high arches and a very tight achilles tendon (so tight it's caused bone spurs).

My treatment? Stretches (dropping my heels off a step), balancing sneakers (to keep my from turning my feet inwards), arch support inserts, and - surprisingly enough - wearing heels sometimes.

The other thing that helps provide some immediate relief is to wear a night splint (you can get these at Walgreens or CVS etc.) I did find that I prefer the Strassburg Sock (found at a sports store) to the splint I got at the drug store, but everyone's preferences are different.

Good luck!

There is a newer treatment that is like a super intense ultra sound that superheats the bone growth from the inside. Over the next few months the growth should start to shrink back by itself.

I dont think its 100% effective but you have to keep the foot warm for a couple of weeks after procedure.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App

My doctor ended up putting me on an anti-inflammatory plus it has something in it to protect my stomach. I take it twice a day for a week.

He said just keep doing what I'm doing....icing, stretching it, and told me to rest it as much as possible.

My foot actually felt better today, so hopefully I'm on the mend.

Once again, thanks for all the advise guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor didn't want to hear anything because she was wearing Nike sneakers herself in the office.I guess I gotta get some Dr.Scholls inserts....:-/

Don't walk barefoot she said!

What helped me was cortisone injections from the doctor and then he recommended shoe inserts. I think they were called super feet and they were the green ones. They are very hard but really helped.

I have dealt with it for over 5 years now, chronically in both feet. I have been to multiple orthopedic surgeons, foot clinics, etc.

I have been told that Super Feet insoles are the very best, but are expensive. I wear Vionic shoes, which were developed specifically for PF feet. I used to always wear my Berkenstocks in the house which definitely helped but they are worn down to the corks and I have to get a new pair ASAP. i do non-stop stretches and the tennis ball.

As a nurse, I don't want to rely on medications long term and with the sleeve can't really take anti-inflammatories except for VERY occasional, short bursts of Indocin. I also a Medrol dose pack periodically to give me a mild steroid effect without cortisone-which most people don't realize has a lifetime max dosage attached to it so that option runs out soon; PLUS it can wear down your joints from the high coritsol levels in the body...

For ME, i notice that mine flares the worst when i gain weight, so the 8 lbs I've gained in the past 4 months is not helping. starting a 5 day pouch reset tomorrow night which will hopefully help too.