Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting started.. General questions... Kinda a long post..:-/

I've just began my journey. My hubbys employer changed ins providers and I'm eligible!!! I've done the pretesting, still have to do the psych exam for everything to be submitted for the final approval. My hubby is on and off on his support resulting in me rescheduling and finally cancelling my psych exam.... On top of that were my office had 3 employees we are down to 2 so I feel guilty for planning a surgery that will put us shorthanded should I need more time than I think I will off work.

My biggest concern lately has been the follow-up visits for after care I see many post about... How many follow up visits typically are there? I've seen posts of coming home with drain tubes but my dr didn't mention that part yet....

I know this is something that I really want to have done as I've seen the results 1st hands of many friends and some family members and have tried for tea to take it off myself.. 10-15 off then 20 back..

1. get the psych eval done and get approved. once approved for my insurance the approval was good for 12 months. you can check to see how long yours would be good for. You will have to decide to do this or not no matter how his feelings may vacillate. it was hard. David wanted me to have a healthy life, and the risks of surgery are scary, but not likely.

2. Don't ever put something off you need done because of work. My supervisor asked me to wait because we had another girl out on FMLA, and wanted me to wait for her to return. Guess what? she decided to retire. So glad I didn't wait.

For me, I knew the weight was not going to stay off any other way and I did not want to spend the rest of my life as a diabetic. I am very happy with my decision and looking forward to seeing what the next year brings.

I've just began my journey. My hubbys employer changed ins providers and I'm eligible!!! I've done the pretesting, still have to do the psych exam for everything to be submitted for the final approval. My hubby is on and off on his support resulting in me rescheduling and finally cancelling my psych exam.... On top of that were my office had 3 employees we are down to 2 so I feel guilty for planning a surgery that will put us shorthanded should I need more time than I think I will off work.

My biggest concern lately has been the follow-up visits for after care I see many post about... How many follow up visits typically are there? I've seen posts of coming home with drain tubes but my dr didn't mention that part yet....

I know this is something that I really want to have done as I've seen the results 1st hands of many friends and some family members and have tried for tea to take it off myself.. 10-15 off then 20 back..

Welcome!

I didn't have a drain. Not all surgeon's use one.

My follow-up appointments (off the top of my head) were:

One week

One month

Three months

Six months

Nine months (we skipped this one because of the weather -- they sent me an order for my blood work so I got than done locally)

My one year is coming up this month.

Personally, I would recommend you putting your needs first. The last time I put off something at the request of my supervisor I was layer off. No one will look out for your needs better than you.

Why are follow-up appointments your biggest concern? I'd be more concerned if there weren't a series of visits recommended to be sure that all is well after my surgery.

There's no reason for you not to ask about drain tubes or other possible aspects of surgery and what to expect, but don't sit and wait for your doctor to mention things. As questions occur to you, ask the surgeon or whomever in the practice. As capable adults each of us has a share of responsibility for our treatment and info-gathering.

I should have explained my concern for the follow-ups. Due to the distance btwn home and the dr it worries me how much time here and there I'll miss from work. It's about a 1-1/2 hr drive to the dr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

For me, I knew the weight was not going to stay off any other way...

Surgery is certainly giving you an excellent opportunity to lose wait and keep it off. Because, however, far too many people think that it's the magical answer and I don't know if you are one of that group, I will say that maintaining weight loss isn't guaranteed. It takes diligence forever. People lose and regain because they all sorts of reasons. You need to know this if you want success happily ever after.

For me, I knew the weight was not going to stay off any other way...

Surgery is certainly giving you an excellent opportunity to lose wait and keep it off. Because, however, far too many people think that it's the magical answer and I don't know if you are one of that group, I will say that maintaining weight loss isn't guaranteed. It takes diligence forever. People lose and regain because they all sorts of reasons. You need to know this if you want success happily ever after.

thank you for your reply and concern.

I certainly don't think surgery is a magic cure - and I do not know how successful I will be long term - but I know without the surgery I would have 0 chance. how do I know? I was riding that rollercoaster for decades. :-)

and, if I still loose and gain but it is 70 pounds less than my current loose and gain, I will still consider that a success.

I will also say that you have to put yourself first. No one else will. I am in the early stages as well. I don't know how long it will take to get everything done but I know that my quality of life is definitely not where I want it to be and as I get older things are going to get worse. I want to live a long healthy life and that means that I need to do this for myself. Everyone else has to take a backseat. I truly love my job and the people I work with....but not more than I love myself. Jobs come and go. Okay...stepping off my soapbox now.

I also am having surgery done at a distance from my home... 4 hours away, 8 hours round trip! So I understand wanting to know about all the post op appointments. My surgeon wants me back at 6 months and 12 months for sure. My PCP will be doing the incision check and I believe I'll have a 2 week video conference. I've found my surgeon to be really willing to work with me. So ask yours about that too!

I should have explained my concern for the follow-ups. Due to the distance btwn home and the dr it worries me how much time here and there I'll miss from work. It's about a 1-1/2 hr drive to the dr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

If your surgeon clears you to be off four weeks, you could plan to have your one month follow-up before you return to work.

If you take less time you will still have follow-ups, but I would think your one week would still be while you are off of work recovering.