Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 15 days post op vsg. According to schedule I am to be eating soft, pureed food. I have been trying to keep food down. Within a short time, I throw up until it is out of my system.

First I tried 4 oz of cottage cheese, then 4 oz of salmon (pureed), tonight I tried 2 oz of chicken, it went down ok then within a short time, I was throwing up the chicken also.

I am eating slow, I don't mix liquids with the food. Is something wrong with my stomach or anyone else experience this? I can drink shakes and Water, Jello, popcicles but would like to eat real food sometime soon.

Anyone give me suggestions what could be wrong or maybe its still healing???

Considering going to see dr if it doesn't resolve soon.

It's awful early for you to be eating solids like chicken and salmon. I was on liquids for three weeks and then gradually transitioned to pureed foods (cottage cheese, refried Beans, Greek yogurt, pureed soups) and eventually soft foods. I only ate 2-3 tablespoons at a time for the first couple months. It was 6 weeks before I was eating solid fish and chicken and even longer than that before I even attempted to eat 4 ounces of anything.

I think you are just trying to advance too quickly, but if the vomitting with solids continues, you should contact your surgeon. A stricture can cause your symptoms,

Your stomach probably isn't ready for what you're giving it. I'm Day 16 postop and I can only handle less than a quarter cup of cottage cheese, for example. I know you want more solid food, but your new sleeve is telling you it isn't ready yet. .

Chime in with the others -- try eating food that is easier to eat (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese) and eat much less of it. 4 oz is crazy. Try 2-3 tablespoons (measure carefully) and see if you have problems with that. If you do still have problems, go back to full liquids for a week, then try again. If you are still having problems, maybe then contact your surgical team and see if they think there might be an issue other than you just need a little extra time to heal.

I was on full liquids for four weeks, then purees for four weeks (with a max serving of 3 tablespoons 3x/day). I was SO ready for "real" food when I could advance to soft foods! But being on liquids and then small servings of puree for a long time didn't hurt me.

I had what could've been the easiest WLS recovery in the world. But no way in hell was I trying to eat 4 ounces of meat (salmon, fish, chicken, whatever) 2 weeks post-op .

Go back to yogurt.

What worked well for me was 2 ounces of refried Beans and melted cheese.

Become more patient.

This journey takes months and months to get back to what feels like "real food" and "normal" to you.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was trying to follow the surgeons diet plan. It calls for 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of food (i.e. eggs, chicken, etc) for 3 meals a day plus Snacks. So I thought something was really wrong as I was only trying to get in one meal of 2 oz.

But I will definitely put off "real" food for a little longer.

You are trying to eat solid foods but your stomach is still healing. I didn't try eating some solids until 4 wks post op. At 2 wks post op you should be drinking Protein shakes and eating yogurt (my nutritionist recommends Dannon Fit and Light - the regular yogurt is thinner than the greek version). Stick to that for the next week then you can get Soups and puree them in a mini chopper. Make sure you count your Protein - this should be your focus and not moving onto solid foods. I tried ground beef at 4 wks and vomited it right back up. I was able to handle ham at 4 wks - pureed of course. I'm 6 wks post op and haven't touched chicken yet although I'll be trying a bit of Turkey today. Good luck!!

You are trying to eat solid foods but your stomach is still healing. I didn't try eating some solids until 4 wks post op. At 2 wks post op you should be drinking Protein shakes and eating yogurt (my nutritionist recommends Dannon Fit and Light - the regular yogurt is thinner than the greek version). Stick to that for the next week then you can get Soups and puree them in a mini chopper. Make sure you count your Protein - this should be your focus and not moving onto solid foods. I tried ground beef at 4 wks and vomited it right back up. I was able to handle ham at 4 wks - pureed of course. I'm 6 wks post op and haven't touched chicken yet although I'll be trying a bit of Turkey today. Good luck!!

My advise was, when trying something new - or onto a new phase, if your tum doesn't like it, to go back to what you were eating for a couple more days - give yourself time to heal and don't worry.

I just found out my vomiting was not caused by my new stomach not ready for foods. Its because I had a large hiatal hernia in my esophagus , which caused my stomach to rise up 2 inches into the diaphragm. Anything I was eating or drinking would come back up. Now 5 days later and after spending 8 hours in emergency room and the rest of the time in the hospital after having immediate hernia surgery, I can keep down foods and everything is still painful but it works again.

This is my second surgery in the stomach area within the month of March. I am so ready to be pain free and get on with the weightloss.

Interesting. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the time of my sleeve surgery - it was diagnosed during my preop workup. I did develop too much swelling around the repair and was rehospitalized for a few days til that subsided and I could swallow again.

So glad you're on the mend now!

Glad you are on the mend. Did you talk to your original surgeon or see the OR report? Seems the hernia should have been identified and repaired at the same time as your VSG.

I did email my surgeons office in Mexico about a week ago. Havent heard anything from them except sorry to hear that. I will be in contact with them again as the surgeon has yet to contact me.

I cant believe that this hernia was not present during my sleeve surgery on the 11th.

All I know is that this extra surgery has caused me nothing but problems. Had to be fed through iv because I hadn't been able to keep anything down for the 5 days prior to going to emergency room. I gained like 10 lbs being fed through iv. Hoping it is all Water weight and getting back on track again.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.