Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's it like to lose 100lbs?

I think maybe @@AvaFern said it best (except I have never been able to do a cartwheel and not likely to try now! :D ). Mostly I cannot quite wrap my brain around it, but that is partially due to the denial I lived in that I actually weighed well over 300 pounds. Somehow, I just never really saw myself like that - and because I avoided pictures - I never had to see myself like that. I honestly think that only in the last 15 pounds or so have I really started to notice how much easier things are. I mowed the lawn last week for the first time in a few years and realized when I was done that I wasn't dying. Seriously, I used to have to come in after that and take a nap after lying on the floor for an hour to recover. I went for a 2 mile walk (in 35 minutes) with my skinny sister last week and realized at the end that I kept up a conversation and wasn't winded at the end. I went to get my haircut yesterday and used to, I could barely fit in their chairs. Now, I have LOTS of room on either side of my legs. (I have lost 10 inches from each thigh! How in the world did I fit in anything before?!)

I remember when I first joined this board last year and saw all the massive losses, I thought there was no way I could possibly do that. And then even after surgery and I was (only ;) ) loosing about 10 pounds a month (instead of the 20+ pounds some people say they lose), I thought "man, I am never going to get that small". And here I am 10 pounds post-op only 15 pounds from goal and 15 pounds to losing 150 pounds. (I lost about 27 before surgery but trust me those 8-10 pounds a month or 2 pounds a week add up.) Just cannot wrap my head around it.... I texted with the medical assistant at my surgeon's office (who is someone I have known for 35 years but lost touch with and had no idea she worked for this surgeon or was even in the medical field when I walked in to that office last January - but I digress). Anyway, I texted her yesterday and told her to tell the surgeon that I had beat her goal of 200 pounds and was down to 189. Her response was "WTF?! Are you eating?!" Um, yes. Yes, I am. :) I'm just following the rules.

Ok, so I think I got totally off topic. How does it feel - FREAKING FANTASTIC!! Now excuse me while I am off to a "normal" (non-plus sized) clothing store for the first time in 30 years (oh who am I kidding, first time in my life!). I am able to fit in to XL tops and all the pants at Lane Bryant are now too big. I am actually sort of anxious about this venture.... wish me luck!

PS - Just realized this was sleeve board not general. Just wanted to clarify I had bypass, but my 134 pounds still feel just as good. :)

This gave me hope. I'm seven months out and only down 57 pounds and losing faith.

Yes!!

Sent from my SM-S920L using the BariatricPal App

My surgery is next month probably and it seems sureal to me. I feel line there's no way I'll actually lose 100lbs even though I'm projected to lose more than that. I guess I feel like weight loss is simply impossible and it won't happen. After such a big weight loss, do you feel thin or do you still see yourself as fat?

Like you, I could not even begin to imagine losing 100 pounds. I originally set my goal weight at 145 because I simply could not conceptualize ever weighing less than that again. I still have days where I find it hard to wrap my mind around that fact that I've lost so much weight. I'm 9 months post-op, and I hit my goal of 135 around Christmas, so it's still really new to me. I started at about 235 and am at 116 now... I went from a size 20W to a size 2... I've lost over half my body weight!!! :wacko: Physically, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. My feet don't hurt, my back pain has lessened, I'm not popping Tums constantly, my sugar is normal, etc.

I'll be honest, though--I'm not yet used to seeing myself as a thin person rather than a fat one. And as I've talked about in another thread, I'm still struggling with feeling ugly, not good enough, etc. I recommend finding a therapist that can help you through the mental and emotional aspects of this process, because it can be a roller coaster ride.

Do you have issues w sagging skin?

I've lost 100 pounds. It feels amazing. Healthy. No pain. Daily life is easy. Energy is unreal. Knee surgery has been canceled. I am in control of what I eat. I wear a size 4. I'm no longer agoraphobic or immobile. I feel pretty. I look amazing for my age.

Want some of that? ;)

Sent from my SM-S920L using the BariatricPal App

I've lost over 270 pounds and still losing. It feels great to be able to live again. It feels great to not be out of breathe just walking around the grocery. You will feel great, I haven't heard of any stories were someone lost 100 pounds and did not feel great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

@@cal2okl - Glad my post gave you hope. 57 pounds in 7 months is really good! Also note that I am considerably taller (5'10") and had bypass (instead of sleeve - and bypass patients sometimes lose a little faster). I promise it will all add up! Just stay on task and keep your eye on the prize!

105lb down 7 months out. No real aches or pains even though my spine is collapsing!!Able to run up and down stairs with ease. Went from a 4x to a size 10. But my jeans are baggy. I have no idea how much more I will lose. Part of me thinks I won't lose anymore but that is probably a safety net. I feel like me but better.

I'm at 100 pounds lost in 9 months. Body dismorphia is a beast. I don't see myself as being a whole lot smaller than before, even though I know I am. I think it's the jiggly/saggy skin that hangs about that plays a role. I have pictures form our family vacation that I acknowledge looking good! I actually wanted to be in pictures, lol. But I have more energy, and can seethe difference in the mirror, obviously some more days than others. Shopping is easier, and more enjoyable. It's also nice to not be the largest person in the room at social functions. Went from a size 20/22- 8/10.

That's awesome you got to a size 4, I can't even imagine. What size did you start out if you don't mind me asking?

Ps how do I quote someone?

Don't be too hooked on sizes. Vanity sizing is real people. The big clothing corporations know what they are doing and a size 8 jeans, has about 6 different waist sizes (no exaggeration). It all depends on where you buy your clothes. That being said, congratulations to everyone who has dropped these significant amounts of weight. I'm sure you feel so much better. I am only four weeks post sleeve and I already feel so much better. I was 277 day of surgery and a week later at check up, 255.6. I haven't weighed since then because of my own issues and trying not to let the actual weight define me. I will know when I go to my next appointment on June 9th though. My diabetes and bp is already better (still take a few meds until the doctor instructs me not to) but taking less than pre-sleeve. So excited for all of us! Just don't get hung up on size from stores (look up vanity sizing) but do get hung up on health! JS. At least for myself anyway. Rock on brothers and sisters!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App