Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Hairloss..Any suggestions?

Susan,

Another Coos County person here. I will be banded 09/20 by Dr Tersigni.

I am concerned about loosing my hair. I hope it won't be so bad that I might have to buy a wig. My hair isn't that thick to start out with, any more. I've lost alot before on the Atkins and an herbal diet. They were only diets where I lost over 60 lbs. (of course it's back plus more)

Are you going to the support group at NBMC, too. I hope to go sometime to meet Denise and maybe you.

God bless,

Charlene

Hello again, the simple thing to do, rather than wait to see what happens, is take control of your own hormone levels, which are altered, often in the process of losing weight on a restrictive diet.

Don't think that your hormone levels are beyond good enough control so as to have to run the risks of diseases that can be caused by blindly given hormone therapies. Once the correct exam is done, and the dose is altered for you as an individual, I assure you that you won´t have Hair loss, nor any other thing that makes you feel bad as a lady.

Hope that you achieve the results you so dearly desire.

We were told to get 1000-1200 calories daily. At our support group they said to do 1000 one day, 1100 the next (fooling the body), but not to make it the same amt everyday. I think that every doctor might be a little different, but from I've been reading the advice is real close to being the same.

From 1000 to 1100 is no big deal. The difference should be more like 30%, making it look like roughly 700 one day, 1300 the next, 1000 the next, and back to 700. Bigger differences, that don´t feel to bad, make for better results. Changes in actions, cause changes in results. When you do that, you give your body more time to burn calories, you make calorie burning more efficient.

I never intended to take any type of pill---I was asking, wondering if someone on a birth control pill for instance, had less hair loss, due to a steadying effect of the hormones in the pill.

Kat

Kat 817, be careful, there are risks when using pills which do not have the dose you need. The best therapy, is one made individually, which makes it certain of zero risks, and only benefits. Taking that type of pill when there is a hormonal lack, is like shooting in the dark. You may aim too high, or you may go too low. That is risky. very risky.

I am Post-menopausal, complete hysterectomy 2 yrs ago. Since I have been on 625 C.E.S. for Estrogen Hormone replacement therapy.

Will this protect me from the 'falling hair' syndrome as I continue to lose weight?

Thanks,

a Canadian Peach

I never intended to take any type of pill---I was asking, wondering if someone on a birth control pill for instance, had less hair loss, due to a steadying effect of the hormones in the pill.

Kat

Heya Kat,

Well, I can't speal for all women on the pill, but I have been on it since I was 18 (a loooong time) and stopped for the required month before and month after surgery (my doc required it). So I've been on the pill all through my initial weight loss and it hasn't helped me. :confused:

I take 1/35/28, so I am not on a low dose pill.

Kat

Kat, a lady on birth control can see less head Hair loss, due to the progesterone effect of the pill. Now, birth control pills, cannot be taken as hormone replacement therapy, and where you see more hair loss, is in the age group close to the menopause. pills don´t do all the work to correct menopausal symptoms.

Hi Everyone,

I'm due to be banded on the 5th of October. I'm insulin resistant and although diabetic meds helped me loose weight it took me three years to realise that this was perhaps the cause of my extreme hair loss. I went from 80's big hair to looking as if my head had been licked by a cow:biggrin1:

I've been off them now for 18 mths, but the loss hasn't stopped. Thankfully I still have hair and their is regrowth but it only takes a couple of stressful days at work to start again. My very bald boyfriend says that when we met (10 yrs ago) I had hair for 4 heads and now I'm just like normal people (who ever they may be :guess).

I found that wearing a hair band helps disguise the loss. It also saves me from having to style my hair and looks good and tidy. I have a vision of loosing the weight (about 75 Lbs) and getting a Liza Minelli style cut.

A tip a trichologist gave me is to stand up and keep the head bended for about a minute once every day. He says it make the blood go to the scalp and stimulates growth. The other thing you have to get rid of is dry scalp or eczema, so the roots can breath.

Hope it stops for all of us soon

Thanks

Arsinoe

Thanks Faith, and Peaches, that was what I was trying to ask...I wish it had worked for you Faith!!!

I too had a complete hysterectomy several years prior to banding, and I do not take any HRT. My hysterectomy was done due to cancer, and at that time with the chemo, I lost ALL my hair, soI have also wondered if that predisposed me to lose more again.

Mine has stopped falling out, several months ago now, and is regrowing in quit quickly. I would say I have been growing vs. losing for 5 months now, and the back has gotten to the point it now goes into my ponytail---just noticed that NSV this morning!!! Now the top and sides are still fuzzy. When I lost my hair to chemo, I lost lighter blonde straight hair, when it grew back it was darker and curly!!!! Seems the new hair growing in is still curly!!! Frizz is a pain, but with product, it is worth every strand!!!

It is interesting to hear what the age span that the biggest Hair loss occurred in....

Kat

I'm still losing my hair, too. I sound just like some of the rest of you. I've lost 50 pounds now, since February, and the Hair loss started about 3-4 months ago-so, about 5 months after surgery. I hope you all are right about it not being permanent and that it will stop soon. Like some of you, I started out with a lot of thick, curly hair-so much that an elastic band would be hard to put around twice. Now, I can get it around 5 or 6 times. I have to clean the drain and my comb and get a handful after every time I wash my hair. I just hope you all are right about it stopping.

Hello everyone,

I will be banded Sept 28th, it is fast approaching and I am both scared to death and excited. I have been reading this fourm since I made my decision to be banded. I have read the pros and cons, the PB'ing, getting stuck, the nausea, being too tight to not being tight enough. That being said, I still feel like I can do this and come out lighter and healthier on the other side. BUT, the one thing that disturbed me most of all was the Hair loss. I have long blonde baby fine and thin hair and have had all my life. It is in very good condition and it has taken me over two years to get it the length it is, mid back length. So to read that at approx 4-5 months post op or 50-60 pounds lost I will lose my hair is heartbreaking. So I have decided to be pro-active as Dr. Mike suggested. I will visit my ob-gyn doc and discuss what is going on before it starts to happen in hopes of a prevention, but if that does not help, and since my surgery in self pay, I chose to get the extra money needed to go to a reputable salon close to home and have human hair extensions put in until my own hair is restored enough to have them removed and start all over. I have decided I will not let the threat of hair loss deter me from my course of a healthier me. I don't know if this will help anybody but me,but just writing it down helps. When our family has faced difficulties in the past, we always had a mantra that we would say and do. Make a plan and work the plan. It helps to organize the chaos that is happening at the time and gives you direction. Be proactive and take charge. Read about the difficulties that could take place during and after your lapband journey and take the necessary steps now to get ahead of the game. Just my 4 cents worth! I wish everyone their heart's desire, to be their normal weight and healthy!

Blessings,

docsdeb

Hello everyone,

I will be banded Sept 28th, it is fast approaching and I am both scared to death and excited. I have been reading this fourm since I made my decision to be banded. I have read the pros and cons, the PB'ing, getting stuck, the nausea, being too tight to not being tight enough. That being said, I still feel like I can do this and come out lighter and healthier on the other side. BUT, the one thing that disturbed me most of all was the hair loss. I have long blonde baby fine and thin hair and have had all my life. It is in very good condition and it has taken me over two years to get it the length it is, mid back length. So to read that at approx 4-5 months post op or 50-60 pounds lost I will lose my hair is heartbreaking. So I have decided to be pro-active as Dr. Mike suggested. I will visit my ob-gyn doc and discuss what is going on before it starts to happen in hopes of a prevention, but if that does not help, and since my surgery in self pay, I chose to get the extra money needed to go to a reputable salon close to home and have human hair extensions put in until my own hair is restored enough to have them removed and start all over. I have decided I will not let the threat of Hair loss deter me from my course of a healthier me. I don't know if this will help anybody but me,but just writing it down helps. When our family has faced difficulties in the past, we always had a mantra that we would say and do. Make a plan and work the plan. It helps to organize the chaos that is happening at the time and gives you direction. Be proactive and take charge. Read about the difficulties that could take place during and after your lapband journey and take the necessary steps now to get ahead of the game. Just my 4 cents worth! I wish everyone their heart's desire, to be their normal weight and healthy!

Blessings,

docsdeb

Deb...

I've easily lost 50% or more of my hair but at least I don't have bald spot. I've always kept my Protein up, take Biotin, Vitamins x6 daily, blah blah blah. I've done it all. If it is going to happen it is going to happen. Hopefully the hormones are the key, I honestly don't know. Dr. Mike drew my labs two weeks ago and I should be getting the results tomorrow or Monday. Then I'll start on hormone therapy and see if it helps.

One thing that did work for me was cutting my hair. My hair was down to my butt and I cut it shoulder length and the hair loss came to a dead stop. No clue how that works. I can guess that it was the weight of my hair or maybe it was coincidental, not a clue.

But I will tell you that if I had it to do all over again I'd do it. If need be I could always cover up bald spots for a few months, I can't cover up fat.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone loses hair. According to an unscientific poll here on LBT about 50% lose *some* hair. Nobody lost it all. Nobody lost more than 50%, most lost 25% or less.

You'll do okay, it will all be worth it.

Has anybody here that has experienced hair loss tried hair extensions? I am terrified to lose my hair and think hair extensions would be my first defense. But I am wondering, wouldn't the extensions fall out too?

starryeyed

I wouldnt advise hair extensions personally. They constantly pull on the roots of your hair and can cause major Hair loss even in people with a healthy head of hair. I think you would regret having them.

This is from an old post but I wondered what you found out from Dr. Mike and if it helped you. I am having probs with hair loss right now so I would really like to try to start taking care of it before I get my band.

Thanks!

Missy

Deb...

I've easily lost 50% or more of my hair but at least I don't have bald spot. I've always kept my Protein up, take Biotin, Vitamins x6 daily, blah blah blah. I've done it all. If it is going to happen it is going to happen. Hopefully the hormones are the key, I honestly don't know. Dr. Mike drew my labs two weeks ago and I should be getting the results tomorrow or Monday. Then I'll start on hormone therapy and see if it helps.

One thing that did work for me was cutting my hair. My hair was down to my butt and I cut it shoulder length and the Hair loss came to a dead stop. No clue how that works. I can guess that it was the weight of my hair or maybe it was coincidental, not a clue.

But I will tell you that if I had it to do all over again I'd do it. If need be I could always cover up bald spots for a few months, I can't cover up fat.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone loses hair. According to an unscientific poll here on LBT about 50% lose *some* hair. Nobody lost it all. Nobody lost more than 50%, most lost 25% or less.

You'll do okay, it will all be worth it.

Honestly, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Just make sure you are getting more than 60 grams of Protein a day. That's the min amount

and it takes protein to grow hair.< /p>