Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 1 month stall and weight gain!

So for over a month I've been in this stall. 1lb up, 1lb down, 1lb up, and 1lb down. Then, I had a 3lb weight gain over 2 days! I called my NUT and we went over what was going on. I've been trying to deal with a torn knee, being on cortisteriods for that which make you insanely hungry, not being able to do any lower body exercise because of that and lupus flaring up which we have found out is liquefying my knee joint, so we've had to up and change meds to try to get it under some sort of control. But all that doesn't excuse the weight gain. It's merely running tandrum to my weight gain. The weight gain, is coming from the fact that little carbs are sneaking in. 1/4 of a tortilla here, starchy veggies like peas here, maybe some corn in my tortilla Soup there, etc. a half a slice of bread for a sandwich. Apparently some of us are really highly sensitive to carbohydrates so my NUT wants me to cut out all carbs and fruit and go strictly with plain Protein and leafy greens. No fillers and see if that will help. What I wanted to share is that if your stall is going on this long, you might just need help sorting out your diet or something and while a week or two is normal, over a month is NOT normal especially when you are only 4 months out and have an obese person yet to lose. So, if you find yourself where I am, please follow up with your NUT.. It could save you from never reaching your goal.

My program doesn't allow any of those items you were eating for the first 6 months anyway. I think most doctors are against bread forever.

So for over a month I've been in this stall. 1lb up, 1lb down, 1lb up, and 1lb down. Then, I had a 3lb weight gain over 2 days! I called my NUT and we went over what was going on. I've been trying to deal with a torn knee, being on cortisteriods for that which make you insanely hungry, not being able to do any lower body exercise because of that and lupus flaring up which we have found out is liquefying my knee joint, so we've had to up and change meds to try to get it under some sort of control. But all that doesn't excuse the weight gain. It's merely running tandrum to my weight gain. The weight gain, is coming from the fact that little carbs are sneaking in. 1/4 of a tortilla here, starchy veggies like peas here, maybe some corn in my tortilla Soup there, etc. a half a slice of bread for a sandwich. Apparently some of us are really highly sensitive to carbohydrates so my NUT wants me to cut out all carbs and fruit and go strictly with plain Protein and leafy greens. No fillers and see if that will help. What I wanted to share is that if your stall is going on this long, you might just need help sorting out your diet or something and while a week or two is normal, over a month is NOT normal especially when you are only 4 months out and have an obese person yet to lose. So, if you find yourself where I am, please follow up with your NUT.. It could save you from never reaching your goal.

Good info, as I am coming up on 3 months. I met with my dietician yesterday, and she prepared me for the stall that is coming.

Congrats on 123 points ds in 4 months. That is pretty impressive. That's pretty much a pound a day...

Your circumstances are different than most stalls; you're on medication (steroids) that cause weight gain and you're eating foods you should not be eating. Regularly consuming bread/tortillas and fruit has never been recommended, but especially if you're unable to move much with an injury. (and so sorry you're experiencing that! Sounds just awful and very frustrating!!)

Carbs are not evil and should not be eliminated from any diet completely. You just need to use common sense and stop the empty/simple carbs - like fruit, sugar, Cereal, bread, etc... and make sure that carbs you do eat are complex (fiber-filled) ones (steel cut/old fashioned oatmeal, broccoli/cauliflower, etc).

A stall of a month is normal in regular WLS sometimes. It isn't always that you're eating too much (but can be, so everyone should be monitoring their food intake). Your body can be losing fat while gaining muscle, and if you're not taking measurements and aware of how your clothes fit you, then you wouldn't know this otherwise because it would look like a stall on the scale (or a 1 pound up/1 pound down type of thing).

You're a smart cookie -- you realize that you are in a strange little world of over-sensitivity to certain foods.

Someone else who wasn't battling your current medical conditions and medications wouldn't have to worry about that and could be incorporating more whole grains, legumes, even breads at this point. But for right now, you sound legitimately like a special snowflake.

I hope you get out of this zone soon and can get back to "normal" WLS territory. :)

Best!

I am so sorry that you are struggling. I can totally relate! In June I had major spine surgery, November another spine surgery and in February shoulder surgery. Of course this all began happening while in the sweet spot (under 1 year) for my surgery.

My doctors put me on meds that cause you to gain weight and of course my ability to exercise has been impacted greatly.

I was still able to get to goal although it took me a lot longer and I really had to be careful on my diet.

I did have to limit my carb intake greatly although I have always eaten whole fruit. Not everyday but just about every other day.

Someone mentioned fruit being empty calories. That is not true. There is huge benefit to eating the whole fruit and fruit is a part of a balanced diet.

My nutritionist has required that I eat fruit, even in the puréed stage. So many nuts have different plans.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, hopefully your stall will break soon. My longest was 28 days and that was when they put me on steroids following spine surgery.

Hopefully just changing some things up in your diet will help break the stall and you will be back on track! You can and will do this, just keep working with your nut. Good luck!

Does your surgeon know you are on steroids? According to my surgeon steroids can cause leaks. I would be cautious.

it was the best decision for the sl current problem. I have lupus and my knee joint has liquified, so it's a cautious forward we are going using the steroids til my insurance will approve a more permanent treatment.

I am so sorry that you are struggling. I can totally relate! In June I had major spine surgery, November another spine surgery and in February shoulder surgery. Of course this all began happening while in the sweet spot (under 1 year) for my surgery.

My doctors put me on meds that cause you to gain weight and of course my ability to exercise has been impacted greatly.

I was still able to get to goal although it took me a lot longer and I really had to be careful on my diet.

I did have to limit my carb intake greatly although I have always eaten whole fruit. Not everyday but just about every other day.

Someone mentioned fruit being empty calories. That is not true. There is huge benefit to eating the whole fruit and fruit is a part of a balanced diet.

My nutritionist has required that I eat fruit, even in the puréed stage. So many nuts have different plans.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, hopefully your stall will break soon. My longest was 28 days and that was when they put me on steroids following spine surgery.

Hopefully just changing some things up in your diet will help break the stall and you will be back on track! You can and will do this, just keep working with your nut. Good luck!

I agree Djmohr, my NUT wanted me to eat a balanced diet including things like whole wheat tortillas and sprouted bread and fruit. Just Protein first, veggies second and any room leftover was for the fruit and or carbs, but since my stall, we're revamping and trying to get it going.

Your circumstances are different than most stalls; you're on medication (steroids) that cause weight gain and you're eating foods you should not be eating. Regularly consuming bread/tortillas and fruit has never been recommended, but especially if you're unable to move much with an injury. (and so sorry you're experiencing that! Sounds just awful and very frustrating!!)

Carbs are not evil and should not be eliminated from any diet completely. You just need to use common sense and stop the empty/simple carbs - like fruit, sugar, Cereal, bread, etc... and make sure that carbs you do eat are complex (fiber-filled) ones (steel cut/old fashioned oatmeal, broccoli/cauliflower, etc).

A stall of a month is normal in regular WLS sometimes. It isn't always that you're eating too much (but can be, so everyone should be monitoring their food intake). Your body can be losing fat while gaining muscle, and if you're not taking measurements and aware of how your clothes fit you, then you wouldn't know this otherwise because it would look like a stall on the scale (or a 1 pound up/1 pound down type of thing).

I'm not eating foods I shouldn't be eating. I was eating foods from my plan. I'm allowed to have 1/4 of a tortilla, or a piece of sprouted bread or fruit as long as I've had my Protein first. I'm following my plan. I also take measurements every week and I wasn't losing inches or lbs. it was completely nothing. I know part of it is because of the steroids and part of it is because I have had to scale back my exercise to things I can do without legs like upper body weights.

My program doesn't allow any of those items you were eating for the first 6 months anyway. I think most doctors are against bread forever.

not mine. Mine allows all the things that I was eating. I haven't fallen off my plan at all. I'm allowed to have bread if I can tolerate it. I also opt for sprouted bread and not like whitey white bread that turns to gum paste in the intestines. I'm allowed to have tortilla in small amounts as long as I get my Protein in first. Same with fruit.