Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burst out crying prepping my first soft food

So most of my posts have been fairly positive and I have been following my plan and doing well ( except for slight Constipation ) so generally feeling good about the path I am on

Today was my birthday and my 3 friends that know about the VSG took me out for mani pedi and came to look at some of the things I bought in anticipation of starting soft food tomorrow. Since they were with me I wanted to eat my first non liquid with someone around. Honestly some of the posts scared me a bit.

I decided on an egg scrambled. Loosely. When I went to get the bowl out to scramble it I broke down crying. I don't know what came over me! My friend asked what was wrong and I told her all my fears of eating to fast, eating to slow, not chewing enough, etc.

They told me I had this and oohed and awed at my scramble egg making ability hahaha. And they all sat there while I ate it making small talk to keep me calm. I was able to eat half over about 15 minutes just to make sure I could. It really helped having that support... Now I am left with the thought, will I have to get up at 3am to get this all in to be at work by 6?

Did anyone else get emotional the first time you ate something other than a Liquid Protein or broth?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by goplay94123

I can't say that I had quite the fears and doubts that you're having, but I can say that you have three loving, supportive friends.

You're probably over thinking things. Take a few slow, deep breaths when you start getting worked up again. You know what to do. You'll be fine and your find your rhythm in terms of eating Breakfast and getting to work without waking in the middle of the night, for example. Maybe the fact of your birthday contributed to your surprise tears?

Again, you'll be fine if you relax.

Drink a liquid Protein shake on the way to work. Nice and slowly. You've got this. Just relax. What great friends you have. Make sure to tell them we love them❤️.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I didn't cry, but you must make some really damn good eggs.

There are hormonal changes going on and personal issues (your obese life leading up to this, concerns about your life post WLS, etc.). This is normal. Everything is going to work out for the best and you will be one of the many WLS success stories.

Stay positive, you CAN and WILL succeed.

Think of all of the positive health aspects and NSVs that will happen as you lose your excess body weight.

I got emotional in that I was so excited haha

I started soft foods yesterday and while I didn't cry I couldn't sit still in my seat. After my morning appointment I met my husband at a Mexican restaurant near his work for lunch. After agonizing over the menu because what I really wanted was enchiladas I settled on grilled fish and a side of Beans. Oh and salsa of course. My husband kept laughing at me because of how excited I was. I literally clapped like a child when my plate came and I have to say, that was the best thing I'd eaten in the last 49 days. It was still amazing last night for dinner and today for lunch. Just go slow, take small bites and listen to your pouch. When it says it's done, it's done.

Follow up.. I put my big girl panties on (though a size smaller.haha) and ate today and feel great..no nerves!! Both Breakfast and lunch were finished.. I am getting used to the no drinking for awhile after. And am getting used to the "musical music" my tummy is making for the last hour. I wanted to post a follow up so any newbie reading in the future that felt the same way knows it resolves itself. And dang - real food tastes so so good!!! Thanks for all the supportive answers!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@goplay94123 - For what it's worth, I had the same very frightened emotional experience. I swear I stared at those refried Beans forever before I was brave enough to take that first bite! But as you found today, it does get easier. Congrats!! And Happy Birthday! Mine is Sunday! :D

Ok..I am a pre op and all I have read is you can't get much down.....what did I miss? Someone on another support forum I am in also got to soft food and also posted she couldn't do it alone and waiting for husband. Since you are passed it (yay..and what awesome pals)...what experience knowledge am I missing that got to you? Or, is this like being afraid to BM after you had a baby (and tear)? The unknown....

Ok..I am a pre op and all I have read is you can't get much down.....what did I miss? Someone on another support forum I am in also got to soft food and also posted she couldn't do it alone and waiting for husband. Since you are passed it (yay..and what awesome pals)...what experience knowledge am I missing that got to you? Or, is this like being afraid to BM after you had a baby (and tear)? The unknown....

Hi! I think the fear was around choking or food getting stuck. I haven't had a baby but your analogy sounds about right. You think worst case scenario. After being on liquids Which I didn't have to chew, I was just being a scaredy cat. It was perfectly fine on the swallowing and stuck part. Then I quickly moved on to the "I won't know when I am full" phase. I was able to feel (comfortably) when I was full.

So when u get to the point of food( non liquid) something u chew even if mushy my advice is weigh or portion per what your doctor says, take small bites, chew till it feels properly smooth and swallow. Wait a few seconds. Repeat. Give yourself time after each bite to have the food settle and let your stomach determine if it is full. If full stop, if not, continue till the portion is complete and then stop. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by goplay94123

@@Muted_Tummy, I'm someone who thinks that the unfun medical and related things shouldn't be surprises. Your asking about GoPlay's emotional response to the prospect of soft food is smart. Keep asking about things like this, but also know that you may not experience the same emotions. Not everyone does. I send you a wish for happy and wonder-filled reactions all the way.

(Do you want to know what I wanted to do to the surgeon who didn't tell me that I'd awake from appendectomy with a catheter? No, not that, but I did want to scream and him and maybe punch his lights out.)

@@Muted_Tummy, I'm someone who thinks that the unfun medical and related things shouldn't be surprises. Your asking about GoPlay's emotional response to the prospect of soft food is smart. Keep asking about things like this, but also know that you may not experience the same emotions. Not everyone does. I send you a wish for happy and wonder-filled reactions all the way.

(Do you want to know what I wanted to do to the surgeon who didn't tell me that I'd awake from appendectomy with a catheter? No, not that, but I did want to scream and him and maybe punch his lights out.)

I heart this group!