Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stall vs the end of weight loss?

I've read so many posts about stalls, I know they're normal and expected and embrace the stall and focus on NSV's and all that. But every time I've had a stall I worry that the weight loss will not pick up again. My understanding is that eventually the weight loss does stop, and my fear is that it will stop before I reach goal, even despite following the plan. So how can you tell if that's happening or if it's just another stall? Any insights would be appreciated, thanks!

I sense you are operating under a false notion that you have no influence on your weight loss. Suggest you read some of the comments in this thread.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/361872-when-is-it-not-a-stall/

My initial weight was similar to yours. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. I transitioned quite naturally from the "weight loss" phase to the "maintenance" phase at around 6 or 7 months post-op. The strategy in the 'maintenance" phase is different than the "weight loss" phase. I am 33 months post-op at this point. And even in the "maintenance" phase it is possible to lose additional weight. I lost around 20 additional pounds in the "maintenance" phase.

I wrote a short article about the "maintenance" phase. Here is a link. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

Like others said, you do not have to be a helpless bystander throughout your weight loss process. You can lose as much or as little as you want. In the beginning it's all going to come off very easily. Eventually you will hit stalls and you may even hit a long plateau where you aren't losing anymore. But if that's not the weight you want to be, it's up to you to be proactive and find a new formula that works to shed more pounds.

I have been in maintenance for over 1 1/2 years and am happy where I'm at. But I also know what works for me if I do want to lose more. Which I have, but at a lower weight I look and feel too thin, so I go back up to where I'm comfortable.

@@CowgirlJane and @@James Marusek both gave excellent descriptions of how they not only maintain, but also how they can lose even in "maintenance". Take their examples and be an active participant in your journey. Learn to listen to your body and pay attention to the details. This will help you formulate a plan that works for you. There are no cookie cutter answers to long term success. You are responsible for your own success or failure.

And remember....if you think you might fail then, yes, you might. But if you KNOW you will succeed then you will.

My initial weight was similar to yours. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. I transitioned quite naturally from the "weight loss" phase to the "maintenance" phase at around 6 or 7 months post-op. The strategy in the 'maintenance" phase is different than the "weight loss" phase. I am 33 months post-op at this point. And even in the "maintenance" phase it is possible to lose additional weight. I lost around 20 additional pounds in the "maintenance" phase.

I wrote a short article about the "maintenance" phase. Here is a link. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

James, that was a great article. You are an inspiration.

@@carmar23 I FINALLY just broke out of a stall that lasted a little over a month. The first couple of weeks, I felt these same fears. I'm still in the 270s, and I had this panic, imagining that my weight would be staying in the 270s indefinitely. Logic and reason, while they are helpful and clarify a lot of things, have never had a whole lot of positive effect on reducing my anxieties when it comes to my weight loss. The only thing that has ever helped me was powering through this scary/frustrating stall and telling myself that even if I were to enter maintenance at this high weight, that doesn't mean I'm not losing any more. It just means I have to work harder to do it. I know what it feels like to be trapped in your body and feel like you have no control over it, because I lived that nightmare for many years. We aren't like that anymore. We're in control now.

After the first couple weeks of my stall, I got to this kinda zen place. I obviously have no control over when the stall is going to start and end, as the various things I tried to end it did not work. So I just let out a breath and accepted that I should focus on being healthy and let the weight loss come when it will.

Today I woke up two pounds lighter than yesterday. :P If you are doing everything right, then you'll reach your goals or something comparable in the end. Hang in there!

JustWatchMe (comment #5) I read the article on maintenance and ordered that essential oil combination that he mentioned. I will give an update when I see what results I get.

http://www.breadandb...om/Surgery2.pdf