Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4.5 months out and requesting guidance

Ok. So I've read 'embrace the stall' and I'm really trying to. The thing is- I'm worried I'm causing the stall. You see, my NUT says I should be eating 1000-1200 calories with a relatively balanced mix of Proteins and carbs and fats, but I find I'm only able to get in 700-900 calories and every time I reintroduce carbs above 30+ grams my weight loss seems to stop.

Ok that's not entirely true. I probably could eat more calories but I'm feeling anxious about raising my calories because I've not lost in over 3 weeks. Upping my carbs also seems to make me crave and feel more hungry. I've debated doing the '5-day pouch reset' but then I'd really be ignoring my NUT who seems to promote the opposite- she says eat more and eat carbs!

I guess I'm just wanting to hear from vets or others who may have increased their calories and added carbs to jumpstart weight loss. It seems contradictory to me. Thoughts?

I'm curious to hear what others say, too. I feel like I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds for weeks. I really limit carbs to what is absolutely unavoidable and getting in about 800-900 calories a day.

Generally the guidance is to restrict the volume of your meals as a function of time after surgery. At 4.5 months, that should equate to 4 ounces per meal (1/2) cup per meal at 3 meals per day. [but this guidance may vary by surgeon]. So if you are controlling the volume of your meals, counting calories isn't as important.

The surgeon identified a minimum requirement for Protein. This requirement is met by the Protein from supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars) combined with the protein from meals. In the beginning with such restrictive volume control, it is impossible to meet the protein requirement unless you consume Protein Shakes. But as time goes on, if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals, you will be able to drop off some of the protein shakes and the calories they contain.

I am 33 months post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I consume an equal mix of protein, carbs and fats, with the emphasis on protein first. I avoid all sugars except natural sugars (found in fruits and milk), artificial sweeteners and low calorie natural sweeteners (such as stevia). But again I am in maintenance mode. After surgery, the part of the stomach that process fats and sugars was cut away and most people who consume excessive fats or sugars encounter dumping syndrome. After about a year, your intestines learn to process fats and sugars and the dumping goes away. So it might be a little early to consume fats at 4.5 months. When I was in the weight loss phase, I restricted myself to very lean meats and low fat milk. But now I consume butter, whole milk and other fats.

My nut has promoted a well balanced meal from day 1. As you think about carbs they are talking specifically about vegetables, fruit, dairy. They are not talking about bread, crackers, junk.

The Way I have focused my diet to ensure I get my Protein is 2 bites of Protein for every 1 bite of good carbs. I have a tight restriction so I still drink 1 Protein shake for Breakfast. I then have a balanced lunch and dinner. In order to meet my protein goals, I then will have 1 or 2 small Snacks that are protein focused. One of my favorites Is a pot of chocolate chai tea made with milk. The tea is a loose leaf teeth at I buy from Teavanna. There is no sugar and a hint of chocolate with all the wonderful chai spices. If I don't have my tea I might have an apple with Peanut Butter as dip, cheese, a piece of lunchmeat, a couple of shrimp or a tiny amount of nuts.

This balanced approach works fantastic. My nut does not believe in protein only meals, she has had me eating good carbs since the puréed stage.

Now that I am at goal, I have introduced whole grains, or small bite or two of potatoes or brown rice at my lunch or dinner meal.

I am 17 months out and my calories are usually between 1000 and 1200. I rarely ever go over but I do have days where I hit 800 - 900.

I will say I have had many many stalls but I simply stay the course and they always break. Also my longest stall was 28 days. At that point I was about 7 months in and I did add more calories and shortened my 1 hour a day work out to 30 minutes. I was not getting enough calories for how much I was working out. It did break the stall.

There is no reason to go back to the pouch test unless you have come off the plan completely. That is not a good behavior to get into. Just remain patient.

That's how I do it.....I would be interested to see how others respond.

I have come off plan quite a bit in the last few days. I've been eating crackers and I had 2 grilled chicken wraps from Wendy's. Not at all how careful and on program I was before reintroducing carbs recently.

I think you're both right though. I've been thinking bringing in carbs means whole grains, which seems to set me off. I will try to focus on fruits and vegetables instead.

Both of you who responded (thank you!) seem to have been eating considerably less than I am at 4.5 months. This does concern me.

And I also don't seem to dump- I don't feel sick really after eating anything. I even had one really bad emotional eating day where I had some candy, chocolate, and a chocolate chip granola bar without any stomach upset. ( not at all how I typically eat and I came back to program after)

I am working out a lot and I'm not sure why my eating has been so off track the last few days. It's like carbs are a drug and I can't have any.

I think maybe I should do a variation of the pouch reset to just get my carbs under control and hopefully dull these cravings and the emotional eating.

Then as you have recommended I will focus back on volume- capping myself at 1/2 cup per meal even though I am capable of eating much more than that.

I don't think my calories at 4.5 months should mirror that of someone who is at goal and 17 months out. (You look amazing btw- I was so happy when you replied as I have actually followed your journey even when I was pre-op)

It seems my Nut is maybe not giving me the best advice. Back to basics.

I would suggest you give your NUTs suggestion a try.

Upping your calories doesn't automatically mean you up your carbs. You can eat more Protein and/or fats.

Also, not all carbs are equal. Try upping your complex carbs (vegetables, whole grains). Starches are what I try to avoid.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but eating more may be exactly what your body needs.

If following your NUTS advice or suggestion inspires so much fear, you may want to consider talking to a counselor or therapist about why that is so.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I am a month behind you and was losing pretty slowly, like .25 lbs over a 2 week period for a few weeks. I upped my calories & Protein for a few days and started losing again. I recently dropped my calories again because I mentally thought I should (I was so worried about eating 1100 calories a day - sounds ridiculous now), and my weight loss has slowed again. The mental aspect behind all of this is amazing. Even though my scale started moving my mind convinced me I shouldn't eat that much. So, I am increasing again. Some day I'll figure it out. You will too. Hang in there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all for your replies. Excellent advice.

I am fearful of increasing calories and it's exactly this 'all or nothing' restrictive thinking that has made me fail diets in the past. As a lifestyle change, I must address these fears. I have avoided therapy or support groups but you have given me something to consider.

I will try my NUTs advice and see what happens. I'll focus on increasing my Protein and fat first so I don't get craving carbs.

It gives me hope to hear that someone else has lost weight upp'ing calories. I will hang in there!

This isn't easy, is it? The emotional and mental element is definitely the most challenging part.

Thanks for the support and for anyone reading this thread and experiencing a similar issue, I will post how it goes after a few days of raising my calories.

Fingers crossed!

I am also 4.5 mos out. About a month ago my coordinator told me to up my calories specifically my carbs. This had to do with working out more. Sure enough when I did this I lost more weight faster. By upping my carbs I am eating more fruit. I also have started to add some nuts in my diet to help get more calories.

That is awesome news! Thanks so much for sharing that. I'm upp'ing my calories and focusing on those good carbs.

Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind sharing, what did increasing your calories mean for you? Were you as high as 1000-1200?

I increased from 700 to 1000. I work out 2 hours every day (primarily cardio). I could probably go to 1200, but I still have trouble getting in the 1000 at times.

Wow! That's a lot of working out! Amazing!

I'm 3-4 times a week- cardio and light weight training. I love it. (Never thought I'd say I love working out!)

Well, it worked and it didn't take long!!!! I increased my calories (even though it seemed so wrong) and you were all so correct! I've dropped 3 lbs since I'm previous post and I'm experiencing fewer cravings. I feel strong of mind again and back on track.

So to those people struggling with the never-ending plateau- consider increasing your calories, refocus your lean Proteins, drink that Water, and be patient. If you work it, it works.

Eventually! Lol

Great! Glad to hear it worked for you.