Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm pre-op and have my first meeting/consultation with the surgeon on Monday. I'm afraid I"ll be turned away. I know it's unlikely at a BMI of 42+ with hypertension and foot pain, plus snoring that could turn out to be apnea, but I still fear it.

I also fear the reactions I'll get from family and friends when I tell them I'm doing this. I don't plan on telling many people. I told my parents, and their initial reactions were very negative. They are starting to come around, though. I hope it goes like that with others - that, no matter how shocked/disappointed/whatever they feel about my surgery, that they will come around and see that it is the choice I genuinely want to help me become healthier.

My biggest fear .... at just over 9 mos post op I fear being a failure -- that this whole process was for naught and I will never reach my goals. I tuck those fears into a tiny little compartment in the back of my brain & only take them out on very dark days when I am down & out. A little glimpse of the fear reminds me what I am doing and why and I can once again tuck them safely away for another time.

I don't have a specific weight goal ... my surgeon does, but I never did. The whole WLS for me was not about a number, but rather about me health. Part of my decision was to avoid having to go on insulin for my diabetes. I have a real fear of needles and didn't think I could inject myself even if I needed to. I am now off all meds & my fasting glucose is between 95 - 105 (when I test). My fear is that some day this number will start creeping back up and I will need to be on insulin anyway.

In the meantime, I keep following my plan and doing what I need to do. I test a couple times a week just to stay on top of my numbers. Sometimes when I don't feel 'right' I need to test to make sure I am not too high ... those fears come sneaking out of the compartment and worry sets in. I don't know if I will ever get to a point where I am not afraid of the numbers, but I try to keep the fear locked up so it doesn't interfere with the rest of life.

Thanks to all of you for sharing these fears! I know it can be scary to admit them even to yourself, much less to post them publicly! Still, once they’re out there, it’s easier to face them and to figure out what you can do to prevent them from coming true.

Reading through your great answers, it looks like there’s good news – a lot of these fears are within your control! They’re about hitting goal weight and preventing regain, and those are things you can control. It’s about trusting yourself and having confidence.

@@Eric@@ash, surgery and anesthesia definitely are scary…but they shouldn’t be. You’ll be out cold and in the hands of a professional. You don’t need to do a thing! Good luck to you.

Complications are definitely a scary possibility, but even with complications, you have some control. You can at least lower your risk of complications from the surgical procedure by following the pre-op diet right and losing as much weight as possible before surgery. You can also lower risk of post-op complications by sticking to the plan. It helps reduce anxiety when you feel like you’re actively doing your part to stay healthy.

My fear is getting ill from lack of nutrients that I can not ingest.. In big quantities anymore like Iron and vit b