Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to lost 35lbs before they'll schedule surgery...

Hello all! A little background on me: I'm 46 years old and was recently diagnosed as diabetic with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I also quit a 20 year smoking habit in June 2014. In April 2009 at my highest weight of 382 I had a lapband installed. That helped me lose 30-40 lbs that I have essentially kept off in the last 6 years. I've been on Weight Watchers since May 2014 but have gained and lost the same 15 lbs (fluctuate between 348-360 depending on the time of month.) I've been doing nutritionist visits since Oct and will have completed my 6 months pre-op period in March. The only problem is that I haven't lost any weight. Still doing the up-and-down thing. I'm currently scheduled for an outpatient surgery on Friday, February 12th to remove some fibroids from my uterus that are causing issues. I'm hoping that will help with retaining Water. But the surgeon will not perform my WLS conversion (I'm aiming for RNY) procedure until I lose the weight I need to. I know the 2-week pre-op liquid diet should help but I need to lose at least 25 before they'll probably consider scheduling (and then I'll need to lose that last 10 in the two weeks prior). I recently purchased a treadmill and I've been doing pretty good with getting in at least 15 minutes of walking every other day (sometimes more, sometimes less).

I'm saying all of this because I need ideas on Meal Replacement products to help me drop this weight. I'm an adult picky eater which means I have a small range of foods from which I'll eat - still learning to like most fruits and veggies. I can't stand yogurt (have tried all kinds/flavors etc - always makes me gag) and really REALLY don't like tuna. I'm not too worried about the cost of Meal Replacements - I make a good salary and can afford to spend on this if it will help me lose the weight I need to get the surgery. Would welcome any advice on products that folks have used either for their 2-week pre-op diet or any medical weight loss program. Thank you in advance!!

@ - have you asked your NUT about other options? Are you measuring and recording everything you are eating?

Hi Deb. I hope you don't mind my asking this but is there a reason why you didn't lose more weight with the band? I was banded three years ago and lost all the excess weight..around 150 lbs.. I'm fluctuating now up and down 10-15 lbs. but I'm in maintenance and not looking to lose. I do want to stay at a steadier weight however, so I'm actually going for another fill later this month as I only have 3 cc's of Fluid in there and I could use some more restriction. When I read things like you've posted, I can't help but worry that the band will stop working for me...or will cause health problems. The thought of having to revise is not something I'd want to have to do.....so any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

@ - have you asked your NUT about other options? Are you measuring and recording everything you are eating?

I agree. Since you are working with a NUT already and have been nutrition classes, this seems like a perfect topic for you to discuss with him or her.

Hi Deb. I hope you don't mind my asking this but is there a reason why you didn't lose more weight with the band? I was banded three years ago and lost all the excess weight..around 150 lbs.. I'm fluctuating now up and down 10-15 lbs. but I'm in maintenance and not looking to lose. I do want to stay at a steadier weight however, so I'm actually going for another fill later this month as I only have 3 cc's of Fluid in there and I could use some more restriction. When I read things like you've posted, I can't help but worry that the band will stop working for me...or will cause health problems. The thought of having to revise is not something I'd want to have to do.....so any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi gowalking -

I was fast-tracked through the band process (1 month from first appointment to surgery), told not to eat bread, rice or Pasta for 6 months, told to come in for a fill every couple of months and that was really it. I did very well the first 6 months... Then lost my job, lost my home to foreclosure (2009) and didn't have insurance to cover fills anymore (they were charging $175+ for a fill) and so I didn't follow-up. I ended up living out of suitcases for a couple of years and moved back to Minnesota (all of the surgery/foreclosure, etc happened in Texas). The band failing is more because *I* didn't follow than for any other reason. It's helped me maintain and kept me from gulping my food (I have to chew well if I don't want to experience that stuck feeling) but I need a more aggressive tool. That's why I'm seeking bypass as I hope it will help with my sugar cravings (I actually WANT to dump).

Hi Jane -

Yes, I'm recording everything I'm eating (although not measuring so much). I've asked her about doing the medical Meal Replacement route and she said we'd look at it after my next visit with her. She wants me to keep trying on my own. And I understand why that is - they need to make sure I'm committed and will make the effort to use the tool once I have it. It's just proving more difficult now than it was when I was in my 30's (or so it seems).

Hi gowalking -

I was fast-tracked through the band process (1 month from first appointment to surgery), told not to eat bread, rice or Pasta for 6 months, told to come in for a fill every couple of months and that was really it. I did very well the first 6 months... Then lost my job, lost my home to foreclosure (2009) and didn't have insurance to cover fills anymore (they were charging $175+ for a fill) and so I didn't follow-up. I ended up living out of suitcases for a couple of years and moved back to Minnesota (all of the surgery/foreclosure, etc happened in Texas). The band failing is more because *I* didn't follow than for any other reason. It's helped me maintain and kept me from gulping my food (I have to chew well if I don't want to experience that stuck feeling) but I need a more aggressive tool. That's why I'm seeking bypass as I hope it will help with my sugar cravings (I actually WANT to dump).

Thanks Deb. Sounds like an impossible situation you were dealing with. Plus, I've always had an issue with doctors not giving their patients the info they need. I went to a center of excellence but it was only by being on this site that I really got what I needed to do in order to find success with the band. The NUT was useless. In fact, it was here on BP that I learned that I needed to track and weigh my food..and get as much Water in as possible. I also learned how to use the tricks to deal with the head hunger. Something my surgeon and the office personnel never brought up. Good luck with the revision. I'm rooting for 'ya!.

Well for losing weight most places want the meal shakes to be whey isolate. There are a few out there most people like the Syntrax Nectar line because they have fruity flavors also Unjury is really good and the make the standard choc vanilla strawberry and a chicken Soup one that I want to try

@[member="Deb Hass I am 48 and a very finicky eater. Texture is my biggest problem with gagging on food. I have a very small variety of foods that I eat now and worry about that after surgery. My go to is always "chicken ". But that won't help me for presurgery diet and weeks after. I'll do what I have to, but it is concerning. I don't like any fruit or vegetables, yogurt, cream Soups. ... my husband stated last night that he's concerned about me finding things to eat. On the other hand if I get hungry enough I will eat. Good luck! and keep in touch and maybe we can give each other ideas.

Edited by Annette Arkansas

I lost almost 50 lbs pre op with my hospital's plan... basically 3 oz of Protein with 1 cup of cooked or 2 cups raw veggies, 1 serving starch (either 1/2 cup starchy veg like squash, sweet potato or Beans [which count as Protein and starch, or 1 slice toasted whole grain bread under 100 cals) can use up to an oz of fat in the form of avocado or 1 tsp butter, etc. for Breakfast, get a piece of fruit or cup berries instead of veggies. no white flour, sugar, corn, celery, rice/pasta/white potatoes, fried foods, soda, carbonated beverages, gum, or caffeine.

it was super hard to eat all the food after a few days.

I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and was able to lose.

Hi gowalking -

Thanks Deb. Sounds like an impossible situation you were dealing with. Plus, I've always had an issue with doctors not giving their patients the info they need. I went to a center of excellence but it was only by being on this site that I really got what I needed to do in order to find success with the band. The NUT was useless. In fact, it was here on BP that I learned that I needed to track and weigh my food..and get as much Water in as possible. I also learned how to use the tricks to deal with the head hunger. Something my surgeon and the office personnel never brought up. Good luck with the revision. I'm rooting for 'ya!.

I saw one of the weight loss shows recently (not My 600 Pound Life) and the surgeon was pushing lapband because the patient didn't have much money, I know the show was several years old but I thought that was the worst suggestion for someone who was short on funds: how were they supposed to pay for fills?

Well for losing weight most places want the meal shakes to be whey isolate. There are a few out there most people like the Syntrax nectar line because they have fruity flavors also powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is really good and the make the standard choc vanilla strawberry and a chicken Soup one that I want to try

These are very helpful, thank you!! I will see if I can get samples of some of them so I can try them out - thanks again!