Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with food intake issues and nausea after Sleeve surgery?

I was originally banded 4-28-11 then my band slipped the beginning of 2015. My doctor told me that the Sleeve surgery would be better for me now since I have a higher chance of my band slipping again. They told me that the Sleeve surgery was like having your sweet spot with the band right off the bat. Wow that sounded great.

I had the band removed and the Sleeve surgery done both at the same time on 11-18-15, so I am 10 weeks post op.

I went for my 2 month post op check up and explained the problems I was having of not being able to get food down, not able to get liquids down, I have not been able to get Protein down nor any Vitamins due to the constant nausea and vomiting (actually dry heaves).

They told me that my body is rejecting the food and that after surgery it is common to have an increased amount of acid in your stomach. Even drinking Water can create acid. They said the increased acid in my stomach is what was causing the nausea/vomiting. So they put me on a prescription strength antacid and a nausea pill. They also told me to take ONE bite of food every two hours for the next week or two to get my body use to food again. So I have been doing that for the last two days. Have not noticed any changes yet and the nausea pill makes me so tired that I cant take it during working hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, in the past 10 weeks I have eaten very little I am tired and have no energy to begin with and the last week or so I have been getting really dizzy. My blood pressure is low (around 92/63 to 89/61).

At this point I am wondering if I should have taken my chances with the band again because this is not what I thought I was signing up for with the Sleeve.

I am just wondering if anyone else is experiencing any type of issues like this and what you did or did not do. My doctor also told me the 3 oz of Protein and 1 oz of something else per meal 3 times a day is not realistic and will not be realistic for a very very very long time if ever.

Hi there,

I was sleeved on January 6th--I had nausea for the first three days and then my surgeon prescribed me anti-nausea medications that dissolved under my tongue. I have had no nausea since. I am three weeks out and able to eat three to four times a day plus liquids. My meals consist of four ounces of cottage cheese, four ounces of plain yogurt and bananas etc. I cannot eat a lot of volume, but I don't really want to. What you are experiencing I have not heard of nor experienced--it sounds a little abnormal. I really hope you are going to be alright.

Leilie

I'm at 28 months post-op and since I was a little under a year out my stomach is intolerant of a lot of food. I was super sick the first week after surgery, then I was mostly ok, for the first 3-6 months or so, if I remember correctly. After that I slowly became more intolerant of certain foods. By the time I was a year out I was barfing fairly regularly and that remained fairly consistent over the next 16 months. I doubt that our issues are the same, however your point that our stomachs now have a different acid balance is interesting to me. I assumed I just had a slight stricture, and I don't care much because it's only food that is really bad for me that makes me sick. Having a condition where I can't eat food too quickly, too much of it, or anything with sugar, butter, or oil really does good things for weight maintenance. For the most part, I know what I can eat and some weeks I make it 4-5 days without a barfing incident (I'm current on a recent record- I haven't puked in 5 days), while some weeks it seems like my stomach just hates everything and even things that are usually fine come spewing back up.

So, while again we are at very different points post-surgery, once you find the foods that your stomach will tolerate and you can eat and drink somewhat normally again, having a stomach that is picky is really not the worst thing. :)

10 weeks out, I suddenly lost the ability to tolerate the small bits of food I'd been eating. I started feeling nauseous after a bite of anything, and even the smell or thought of most foods made me dry heave. After a couple of weeks, I started vomiting and felt so awful I ended up checking into the hospital for vitamins/hydration. They suspected a stricture, but it couldn't be dilated as an emergency (and I couldn't afford to pay for one), so they had me eat whatever I wanted (so long as it wasn't sweets) just so the familiar taste of things I loved could combat the paranoia of vomiting. I lived on Peanut Butter crackers (I loved them as a kid), and gradually get better. I still eat a lot less than most people at 7 months out, but I can live with it.

I'm 12 days out and have been nauseous just about every day and it would get really bad when I would go to lay down. I called my nutritionist and she recommended papaya enzyme. She said it helps trigger peristalsis (the digestive movement of fluids down your throat to your stomach and beyond). And I've been using it for 2 days now before I lay down and it's been helping me.