Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what did you take to help with bowel movements

sorry about the insensitive subject but I would like to know how you handled this problem. I am 5 days post op and nothing yet - don't want to let it get out of hand!

I have tried stool softners but don't seem to be working - I melted them in cream of rice.

Thanks for any ideas!:help:

Since you are on liquids a lot, there isn't much up to offer coming out the other end.

BOOST is liquid Protein. I would have that for Breakfast followed by black coffee 30 minutes later. If that doesn't work..green tea.

It doesn't get better when you start eating again if you eat high Protein and low fat. I use chewable Benefiber - fruit flavor and they aren't too bad. I have also used Gerber strained prunes on occasion.

What worked for me (and others I have suggested this to) is to get some Gerber baby Apple Prune juice. It comes in 4 oz bottles and is 70 calories for each bottle. It is a clear liquid and it is VERY good. I drink one a day, or now that I'm on food, I'll have a jar of baby food prunes or a prune combo. They are quite yummy.

Trust me, it will do the trick.

I've actually never had a problem with this becuase I'm a carb eater - I've kept up the wholegrain cereals and plenty of fruit. Even in the liquid phase, I was having things like a smoothie with both a banana and a couple of weetbix blended into it - and tons of stuff like vege and lentil Soup. So even with the reduced volume overall, I still managed to get enough fibre in.

I think if you make Soup and blend it or buy really fibrefull ones (the Heinz lentil and bacon one we have here has 12 grames of fibre in it - look for anything with lots of veges like a minestrone ) you should be able to ward off the Constipation and maybe add some Benefibre for insurance.

And stay active, exercise really helps.

What are weetabix???

It's a Cereal. You can usually find it in the States in larger supermarkets that sell various world foods, it's usually in the British section. I think I've also seen it at World Market.

Yeah, its just wheat flakes compressed into a small brick shape, no sugar, no salt in it, really plain cereal. I cant believe it isnt common as mud there, Weetbix are an Australian Institution! But much more palatable than vegemite, lol. Its nothing fancy or weird, just plain cereal.

I have added Lemon to my Water. It has to be a real lemon. It workes well for me. Something about the citrus? Anyway try it.

Thanks for all the help - will go to the grocery store today and see what I can fine. If I would just get rid of the swelling and gas I would be GREAT! Feeling good but tire easily. 6 days post op! - no pain!

weetabix - cool!!!

okay jachut what is vegemite??????

Yeah, its just wheat flakes compressed into a small brick shape, no sugar, no salt in it, really plain cereal. I cant believe it isnt common as mud there, Weetbix are an Australian Institution! But much more palatable than vegemite, lol. Its nothing fancy or weird, just plain cereal.

Wheatabiz sounds good. I don't think they sell it in Canada though - here's another cultural difference - what is vegemite?

Hi Kero,

Yes Weetabix is available in Canada. Just look in the cereal isle. Most grocery stores have it. I always have it at home LOL!