Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Story

I've struggled with poor eating habits for as long as I can remember. I am a product of a mom who used to pack me a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich, a snack cake and a bag of chips in my lunch every single day. fruit as a quick snack option didn't exist. We didn't always have fruit, but we always had Snacks in a corner cabinet of our kitchen. All of our problems were solved over a cup of coffee or tea and a coffee cake. Sunday afternoons were spent watching football with a giant bowl of ice cream topped with potato chips and Doritos. At the movies, we always got the biggest popcorn and largest drink and finished it. My grandmother made me bacon and butter sandwiches as a treat. Needless to say, junk food represented a lot of things to me; family, comfort, love, life.

In high school I was very thin. I took it upon myself to eat better and exercise and I succeeded. I looked and felt great. Then I got into an abusive relationship and my self-confidence was shaken to its root. To this day, it hasn't completely recovered. In college, I turned to beer and pizza and packed on a quick and stubborn 25 pounds. But I still wasn't fat by any stretch. Moving into the real world was a challenge and I ballooned in weight. Poor choices, little money and lots of alcohol contributed to adding another 70 pounds to what I'd gained in college.

Then I met someone. He was interested in me, even though I was over-weight. He helped me gain some much needed pride in myself and confidence that I'd been lacking. I lost 90 pounds. Fast. But that didn't mean I was eating right. I was just eating painfully little.

Soon thereafter, I reconnected with a wonderful man I'd met in college. The man I'd always hoped I would marry. And before long, we were engaged. Happiness made me chubby again. A wedding made me slim again. A honeymoon baby helped me pack on 65 pounds. But once I gave birth to our beautiful daughter, I worked to lose all of the baby weight and I was successful.

I battled with postpartum depression. I battled the demons from my abusive relationship. I won. Then I discovered I was pregnant again. All of my newly discovered happiness, I literally devoured. I gained 80 pounds. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I gave birth to another perfect, healthy daughter. But this time, I didn't lose the weight. Not an ounce.

For ten years, I've held onto an extra 80 pounds. I had another daughter four years ago. During that time, I was also diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I was warned that I would probably remain diabetic after this pregnancy. That should have been a wake up call, but it was not. My blood pressure began to escalate out of control. That too should have been a wake up call, but was not. The doctors had to deliver my daughter early because of my hypertension. She was five weeks premature. She swallowed amniotic Fluid during her delivery causing her to develop pneumonia and she had to remain in the NIC Unit for 10 days. Those were the most difficult days of my entire life and should have been a wake up call. I felt guilty that had I not been hypertensive, this wouldn't have happened to her. But after she came home, I still didn't change my ways.

In January, 2015 I decided to get a full physical work up. I hadn't done it in a while. It showed I had serious blood pressure issues, high triglycerides - so high they were immeasurable, I was diabetic and had an extremely fatty liver. I refused to believe it. I took the medicines I was given sporadically and chose not to follow any sort of diabetic diet. I would work it out myself. But I didn't.

In April, 2015 my father passed away unexpectedly. It was said his diabetes was a contributing factor to his passing. The grief was and still is overwhelming. He was my best friend. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him and miss him.

Finally in September, 2015, my family doctor told me that if I didn't do something soon, I was going to have a stroke. My blood pressure remained out of control, as did my diabetes and the triglycerides. I was experiencing a lot of reflux as well. Not to mention, I was feeling horrible. She recommended Dr. Louis Balsama. He changed my life.

I learned just how horrible my health was as I went through all of the pre-surgical testing required to authorize the surgery. While my BMI was on the low end of what would qualify someone for surgery and I didn't have over 100 pounds to lose, my overall health was so poor that I quickly became a candidate for surgery. During the pre-surgical testing I also learned I had sleep apnea and I had high cholesterol. I was put on 13 pills per day; 4 pills per day to control my blood pressure, 5 to control my diabetes, 3 for my cholesterol and triglycerides and one for irritable bowel. This doesn't factor in the over the counter Probiotics and acid reflux medications I also used. I refused to live this way any longer.

On 12/28/15, Dr. Balsama saved my life. He gave me a gastric sleeve. I am incredibly grateful for what he's done.

Recovery was not the easiest. I was in pain, I got angry, I got frustrated. I got over it. I had 71 pounds to lose to be at a proper weight for my height.

As of 1/18/16, I am down 21.5 pounds; 30% of my excess weight is already gone. In 14 pounds I will reach 50% of my goal weight. My BMI has gone from a 36 (Obese 2) to 32 (Obese 1). Soon, I will just be overweight. I no longer have sleep apnea. I no longer have acid reflux. Of my 4 blood pressure pills per day, 2 have been eliminated entirely. The dosage for 1 has been cut in half. It is anticipated that as a result of some upcoming blood tests, some of my other pills may be cut or eliminated also. In only 3 weeks. Imagine what will happen over time!

I still have quite a journey ahead of me. But in 3 short weeks, my life has already changed for the better. Don't give up. Yes, this was a drastic step but it's not a magic bullet - it's a tool. Use it wisely and it will serve you well. If you don't use it as intended, there will be undesired consequences. Be smart, be diligent and be good to yourself. The surgery was the easy part, now work for what you want and you will achieve it.

Great story. Thank you for sharing. I am so relieved that you chose to save your life and have this surgery. It sounds like things were getting fairly dire for you! Congratulations on your success so far and good luck in your future endeavors. As long as you stay committed and focused and you use this great tool you've been given to its fullest potential, I have no doubt you will reach your goal and live a long, happy, healthy life!

I was having health problems, high blood pressure, family history of diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure. My Daughter in-law Terra did alot of reaserched and found Bariatric , with a Doctor Carlos A , we called doctor A. . My sleeve surgery went really great. I was taken care of at Bariatric very well with the greatest of care, and treated as family. I was at the weight of 189 when I came home the end of October and here it is 13 weeks out on the losers bench and I weigh 145 lbs. I have more engery and have a new skinny body and feel amazing. I'm extremely thankful for the care I received.

Great story. Thank you for sharing. I am so relieved that you chose to save your life and have this surgery. It sounds like things were getting fairly dire for you! Congratulations on your success so far and good luck in your future endeavors. As long as you stay committed and focused and you use this great tool you've been given to its fullest potential, I have no doubt you will reach your goal and live a long, happy, healthy life!

Thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement. They mean a lot. :)

I was having health problems, high blood pressure, family history of diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure. My Daughter in-law Terra did alot of reaserched and found Bariatric , with a Doctor Carlos A , we called doctor A. . My sleeve surgery went really great. I was taken care of at Bariatric very well with the greatest of care, and treated as family. I was at the weight of 189 when I came home the end of October and here it is 13 weeks out on the losers bench and I weigh 145 lbs. I have more engery and have a new skinny body and feel amazing. I'm extremely thankful for the care I received.

I'm glad you've seen such incredible success with your surgery and your results! Keep up the great work!

Thank you, it was the best decision to become healthy, My sister needs a kidney transplant , I'm hoping to be a match to save her life.

Bless you - what an amazing person you are to do that for her. I hope you don't mind, but I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.