Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to talk to ten post operative people as part of Dr's pre-op requirments

Hello,

As part of my pre-operative regimen my Dr. requires that I talk to at least ten post operative bypass patients. So here we go. My name is Chad and I am 46 years old. I am having the gastric sleeve surgery with some bypass or sleeve with RNY, my surgeon doesn't do pouches anymore.

The main reason I am getting the Surgery is to get rid of my diabetes, so any post ops who have advice about what to expect in this regard please feel free to post and let me know about it.

Thank you

Chad

Hi Chad. This isn't a requirement I've seen before but I don't think it's a bad idea! Welcome to our website. Stick around for support through out your process!

I am a 38 year old female. I am just over 9 weeks post op and had sleeve surgery done on Nov 16th 2015. My reason for surgery was morbid obesity. I am 5'4" and at my highest I weighed 256lbs. I was lucky enough to not have any comorbities but knew they were coming quickly as I aged. Since my 2 week pre op diet I am down 47 lbs. My joint pain has significantly decreased.

My surgery was complication free but I suffered pretty extensive pain after surgery due to 4 prior abdominal surgeries that left me with a lot of scar tissue for the Dr to patiently work through laproscopically. The first 2 weeks were hard and painful though I did return to work after only 1 week off. Week 3 the pain started to let up and at week 5 I felt 100% again.

I now have no food restrictions, though I definitely eat well and much less. I get between 750 and 1000 calories daily, though usually I am around 850 or 900.

I think I'm probably an "average" loser. Not real quick, not real slow. Somewhat predictable. I see weight loss for a few days and then the scale doesn't move for a few days. You find your pattern pretty quickly.

I'm glad I did this! Again welcome and good luck on your journey!

Edited by HopeandAgony

Chad,

I was 49 when I had RNY last August, best decision I have ever made concerning my health. I was 331lbs on the day of surgery and suffered from Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure as my weight spun out of control. The day after surgery I stopped taking medication for both conditions and have never needed it since then. Had a physical two days ago as I prepare for some overseas travel and my BP and blood sugar levels were excellent. I'm down to 228lbs as of today and feel great. Good luck on your journey.

I am 59 year old male. when I started this journey I weighted 364lbs. get ins coverage & requirements in writing. I started this journey in 2014. have high blood pressure(2 meds) type 2 diabetes(2 pills & Lantus shots twice daily, high cholesterol(1 pill) shortness of breath, joint pain(knees mainly) & slept on a cpap machine. didn't do it for my vanity. thought it would happen in early 2015. insurance then wanted a 6month diet after telling me it wasn't required. finally got clearance in early dec, 2015.

ad to go on 1 week liquid diet. I ask surgeon about blood sugar dropping during this time & he told me

to eat something. weight on Christmas day was 330 surgery was on 12/28/2015. didn't have pain from surgery, just felt something inside. pain came from the bed being too short, I am 6'4". no problems in surgery, took them a little long to wake me up, worried my wife. quit pain meds the day I came home from hospital. I started eating ice just after I woke up. worst part besides bed was sore throat from tube that was down my throat. ice & pain meds helped with both. have had no problems drinking or eating. only time I felt pain from drinking was when I got stupid & not thinking gulped 4oz of milk. I get a weird felling when I get close to my eating amounts. feel to ask any questions, I don't think I am a good person to ask about problems, due to not having many. good luck.

when I weighted on 1/17/16 I was down to 292

I won't count as one of your ten because I am a Sleever, but wanted to welcome you.

I think your surgeon's idea of asking you to talk to people who have had the surgery is great.

Best of luck with your surgery.

I'm a 35 yo male who is almost 5 wks post op. My original factors for surgery were being young and already having health problems of someone twice my age. Aside from the HTN, fatty liver, and borderline diabetes (A1C of 6.4) I was looking at my daily pill regimen thinking "What the hell am I doing?!"

The biggest factor for me was my 4 yo daughter. Aside from not having enough energy to keep up with her during play time I started to think "How much longer will I live if I stay this weight." As I pondered this question it came down to this: it's selfish of me NOT to try RNY and do everything I can to be around for her as long as possible.

@@chadhcanterbury

Hi there!

I am a 52 year old female who had RNY gastric bypass almost 16 months ago. I was 310lbs when I started, 303 on surgery day. I am currently 172lbs and 7 away from my ideal weight. I am no longer overweight, I have a normal BMI.

When I began this journey I had type 2 diabetes, severe Gerd, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, stage 3 kidney disease, anemia and I suffere from both psoriatic arthritis and osteo arthritis of my spine.

I had my surgery on 9/29/2014. When I left the hospital I was removed from all diabetes medications as the 10 pre op diet helped to normalize my blood sugar. At the 1 month mark I was removed from high blood pressure, high cholesterol and Gerd medications.

At the 3 month mark my a1c was normal and most importantly my stage 3 kidney disease was in remission. At the 6 month mark all of my tests were normal and my a1c was phenomenal.

The only regret I have is that I did not do this sooner. I waited too long and have severe arthritis of my spine because of it.

I don't get dumping syndrome unless I overeat. I can pretty much eat whatever I want with a few exceptions like eggs, bread and Pasta. They just don't sit well with me.

I never had complications post surgery. I will say that since surgery my heart rate and blood pressure runs on the low side but my cardiologist tells me this is good not bad. I sometimes have to be careful about standing up too fast.

I feel fantastic and went from a size 26 to currently a size 12, soon to be 10.

Hi Chad!

I am a 64 yo female who is 4'11" who began this journey at 262 pounds.

After loosing 10 pounds on my pre-op diet I stalled for 6 months.

On surgery day (July 17, 2015) I weighed in at 252.

Before surgery my BMI was 54 and I was categorized as "super morbidly obese."

I have been type II diabetic for many years, but diet controlled, and in the past year my diabetes was out of control, and I was on my third medication to control it.

I was getting an attitude because all the diet & exercise I was doing wasn't helping and I had been gaining weight; even on Atkens and Weight Watchers.

My knees and back were often sore.

I had an umbilical hernia repaired in 2012.

In 2013 I had my gall bladder removed.

I had developed sleep apnea, and atrial fibrillation. For which I had a cryoabalation in 2014.

I am Native and IHS doesn't fund bariatric surgery.

After getting on my BCBS plan at my new job I inquired about surgery and they agreed to pay 85%.

So, I decided to go for it.

It was the best decision I ever made.

I have had not troubles or complication from surgery.

I awoke in the hospital diabetes free

I also felt like I was invincible and could do anything.

After a month I got back to my gym, and added yoga to my workouts.

In October I added resistance training.

I have now lost 78 pounds.

For my 3 month visit I was "Right on track"

My 6 month is coming up in Feb.

And I think I'll be fine.

My AIC is about 6 right now.

I feel GREAT and look FABULOUS !

I wish I had done this years ago.

I could have avoided so much discomfort and maybe those other surgeries.

It can seem like an elusive or unattainable dream when you are pre-op.

Hang in there. You only get one body. Do your best for it.

Chad,

Oh yeah.

My biggest FEAR pre-op was that I would miss my relationship with food, and feel hungry all the time.

NOT SO!

I fill my senses with smell and sounds and taste.

I don't really get hungry anymore, just eat when its time.

I am 51 and suffered with the lapband since 2004.I suffered because it wasn't working for me and caused me so much problems.I was constantly throwing up....let me just say...I desperately needed a revision.I chose bypass and had surgery 12/28/15 .I want to say this....WLS is no joke.It is major and not something to take lightly.I have had a rough time ...the first week I felt like I was run over by a truck but everyday It gets better and I am so happy I went through with it.I am finally getting a grip on the situation and taking my life back....

Hey Pinkgirl!

My first choice was a band,

but my surgery team at the mayo Clinic said they no longer do them.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why.

Many surgeons are backing away from LapBands as research shows poor sustained loss', and lots of patients having to have subsequent sleeve or gastric bypass.

Thank you everyone for replying to my post. I work 3rd shift so I usually check the site during my breaks late at night into the morning.

It is looking like I will have surgery sometime in the early part of may, so hopefully that will be the end of the shots and pills for me. I think on the weight loss side I will only end losing around 65-70 pounds. When I graduated high school and quit wrestling I weighed 185 and had single digit body fat, so I am looking to level out around 195.

Don't box yourself in...you will lose what your body tells you .You will feel wonderful.

May is a couple of weeks away....start preparing .

do you need to talk to people 1 on 1?