Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ouch.

Sorry. That did come across pretty harsh now that I look back at it. I was just shocked that anyone on these forums wouldn't have that basic knowledge, since presumably we've all been on diets in the past, talked to nutritionists, etc.

Some people have other things in life that are more important than food and calories. Especially to the point of having them memorized.

I haven't been a fan of carbs for about 15 years. I find that my body and my mind run better on very few carbs. I get my carbs in from veggies and the occasional sugar alternative and that is about it. I have never liked crackers, cold Cereal, Pasta or rice. I did love French fries and that is something I just have to remove from my diet and mind entirely, including sweet potatoes.

I used to do Atkins. I found Keto a few years ago and I like running on healthy fats and grass fed/organic meat.

Carbs are necessary for energy. Like everything, it all works in moderation.

be careful with that moderation thing because its totally not true. eating everything in moderation will leave you moderately fat.

Unhealthy food is unhealthy whether you have a moderate amount of it or not. This is about changing your life, your food intake is not a diet you can just switch off when you hit goal. People fail at these surgeries all the time, if you cant create a totally new way of looking at food, you will fail.

Look at all the successes here, these people, they never stop eating healthy, sure there are cheats here and there and on maintenance you can eat a bit differently. But you still have to change what you eat , forever. Unless you want to gain it all back.

Be careful with the moderation thing, it gives you a way to cheat and a way out of being healthy and that is the path to failure.

This is not a diet, this is Forever.

I try to avoid starches and white carbs for the most part. I do occasionally have a bite here and there but its more as a garnish than the main focus of my meal like they would have been pre-op.

I find myself embracing carbs. My sleeve doesn't like rice or Pasta (mama Mia!) but handles crackers fine. I get most of my carbs from fruit, sweet potatoes and dairy, and I never feel in danger of even coming close to the guidelines for carbs issued by my surgeons office.

I've tracked my food the past three days out of curiosity and I've come in at about 70 grams of NET carbs each day. But none of those days have I eaten chips or ice cream or Cookies, which I do occasionally indulge in.

Nothing to do with Carbs or Protein IMO.

My GP, in the 1990's, when asked about weight gain/loss said "just keep your 'explicit adjective' mouth shut".

Oh how right he was!

The most important thing is the psych aspect!

One needs to forget what is considered normal plus all the peer pressure along the lines of needing to eat 3 times a day & cleaning your plate, whether you are hungry or not.

Keep reminding/asking yourself 'am I really hungry'? & if the answer is NO or NOT REALLY, don't eat or leave whatever is left on your plate.

Friends now know not to give me large servings as I eat & chew slowly & 3/4 will be left on the plate.

Eat & drink anything that you like, take the Vitamin & supplements your doctor/s recommend & have the required blood analysis done every 6 months or so, to ensure it's all working to your advantage.

It's nearly 2 years & although my wife went to meet with the nutritionist, who fully explained/demonstrated serving sizes etc. she still insists on trying to do things, as before my sleeve.

I like a good hearty Breakfast & light lunch, then maybe a salad, snack & perhaps a couple of beers @ night....

She doesn't do/want Breakfast or lunch but likes a big evening meal.

There are always copious leftovers & the dog up the road gets extremely well fed.

Plenty of arguments, but I did not go through this to get fat again.

Regarding carbs:

Make own bread from scratch 2 or 3 times a week with plenty consumed as toast & open sandwiches,

Love rice & noodles

Have a few beers or ciders most nights & drink about 1 litre of full milk throughout the day as iced coffee [decaf].

So am I doing everything wrong carb wise?

Weight stabilized @ about 80kgs [surgeon said it would be 83], BP 120 on 72 & blood glucose 4.2

Edited by rastus

I used to think my way was the only way. I'm a lot smarter now.

I'm almost 18 months post-op. And I've learned a lot in that time. I've been very successful and have learned what really does work for me.

The funny thing is that what works for me doesn't work for some other very successful WLS patients. And what works for some other successful WLS patients would soon have me back at 235 pounds.

One thing that probably is common to most successful WLS patients is that they observe and collect enough information about their own eating and understand how those foods affect their bodies and they have the discipline to stick to what works for them.

Sometimes I wonder if we're all even the same species. ;)

I used to think my way was the only way. I'm a lot smarter now.

I'm almost 18 months post-op. And I've learned a lot in that time. I've been very successful and have learned what really does work for me.

One thing that probably is common to most successful WLS patients is that they observe and collect enough information about their own eating and understand how those foods affect their bodies and they have the discipline to stick to what works for them.

I totally agree. I keep a careful watch on my blood sugar levels (which carbs directly affect) having struggled with diabetes for over a decade.

I have found that artificial sweetners affect my blood sugar level just as much as real sugar. My blood sugar levels spike the same if its Crystal Light, iced tea with Splenda or Stevia, or raw sugar. So I stick to Water and unsweetened tea.

Amazing how the same consumption affects different people.

Some really good comments & observations....we are all different & so are our metabolisms before & after this reasonably radical surgery.

Luckily I had an excellent surgeon who has a support team of heart, psych, nutritionist etc.

So it was a real team environment, not just cut, stitch, go home & muddle through it on your own.

A retired Army cook, I knew a bit about food, hated those shake things but they started me off loosing weight quickly.

Got a couple of cook books specifically directed @ WLS patients.

What a waste of money.

These books are primarily aimed @ one eating the same stuff/way they used to & that is what one will automatically or must change away from, IMO.

All this pre-programmed stuff upstairs went skewiff, after my sleeve.

There was no 'let's' eat healthy consideration or planned change. It just happened.

I can tell you the nutritionist would not like my diet, milk consumption, drinking diet pop or beer.

But my blood tests come back all good, every time.

The food that I used to enjoy were french fries, steaks/hamburgers & leave the salad, I no longer like.

Indian food is off my list, as is most Asian except for dim sum/yum cha type offerings.

Just the smell of some frying foods now, tends to make me gag.

I don't like french fries, but love real cream, mashed potato/parsnip/carrot combo.

chicken legs & chicken Maryland* [done in the Charbroil Big Easy Turkey Fryer] fish any style & salads I really appreciate.

*In Australia the term "Chicken Maryland" refers to a butcher's cut for a whole leg consisting of the thigh and drumstick.

So - it's important to differentiate between "bad carbs" which I assume everyone to mean over-processed, and mostly simple carbs like Pasta, sugar, etc. - and "good carbs" - fruits, vegetables, whole grains (which can be good or bad depending on YOU.) I can't handle grains at all (except for rice), so I just don't eat those. However, it's important to recognize that even starchy carbs can be important to your health. Pre-biotic starches (sweet potatoes, plantains, yuca) are the preferred food for some of the Probiotics that colonize your gut. Doesn't matter how wonderful your probiotics are if you're not feeding them!

Alex you bring up a great topic. I will enter my two cents. Currently in science there is something of a revolution going on regarding diets. Science has figured out that essentially DNA driven diets, and in the next couple of years this will be rather mainstream. I theorized on this about a decade ago when I was living the Atkins lifestyle (that I am trying to get back too today). I wondered why some people can eat sugar and just remain thin. My best friend used to say those folks 'won the genetic lottery', but I thought it was something in their ancestors past that allowed them to eat carbs and not gain weight. I though about the rather limited time man has had to deal with sugar in particular. Corn Syrup especially. Corn, 200 years ago was a grass. We have not had time to evolve to properly deal with it. Now science has figured out how to tailor a diet based on your DNA. So the answer is that for ME, I avoid carbs like herpes. I strive to get 60-70% of my daily calorie intake from Protein and keep carbs as low as I can. That works for ME, others will respond differently. I look forward to the day when my DNA can be tested and a diet recommended based on sound science that will tell me what foods I should be eating to lose weight. Until that day, carbs = bad.

Carbs no longer rule my life. They are important part of meal plans.

Complex carbs serve me better.

And the Holy Shredded Wheat with Bran is a daily necessity.

Am loving this thread. Am also learning a lot about what works for other people. Thanks, guys.

:)