Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs are like men (or women): There are good ones, and there are bad ones.

;)

When we're in the losing phases, it makes zero sense to eat any of the sugary, starchy, low-Fiber, overprocessed carbs.

When we get to maintenance, it becomes a different calculation: How often and how much of the "treats" carbs will work for us? The answer to that is a very personal, individualized calculation for each person. Some can tolerate more carbs than others. Some have food issues that are triggered by specific carbs that don't bother others.

So far, no specific food carbs eaten at mealtime and in moderation have caused me problems. I'm really pretty surprised by this. This means I can eat in moderation at mealtimes sometimes Pasta, breads, whole grain rice, even potatoes.

But what would cause me tremendous problems would be grazing, nibbling all day on completely worthless "foods" like potato chips, trail mix, candies. Ugh. Not going there ever again.

Also, drinking my calories would be terrible for me -- those are carbs, too.

i've done fruit. for a while i did a lot of fruit because it was all i could stomach. i never did any "white carbs". I still don't. I lose better when i don't. no sugar, no carbs, no caffeine is my general rule.

Edited by pr_pitbullgrl

@@Sharon1964

I will CUT YOU if you try to take my pizza.

See? See how I get?

:lol: :lol: :lol: You literally made me LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great topic. I personally choose to eat carbs, I don't look at them as evil or something I shouldn't ever eat. But honestly that's only because I can. Every BODY is different, and as people are learning themselves, their triggers and what makes them gain, they should listen. If carbs is a problem for said person, then they simply shouldn't have them as much. It's almost impossible to never ever have any carbs. But some work better on the lesser and some such as myself do fine with a one third diet. One third fats and the rest Protein. I am a very well balanced eater.

But then again it's also important I'm eating the right kind of carbs too. Carbs coupled with nutrition our bodies need, as I have the Bypass now and I have to be careful to ensure I'm getting all of my nutrients, along with supplements on top of that. I slacked a little bit in the recent past and it left me feeling bad and tired. I've been picking it back up and amazingly I seem to be feeling a lot better... :D :lol:

The the answer is that my attitude toward carbs is: Cautious. B)

In short,carbs are the devil

The only diet that remotely works for me is high Protein and low to no carbs

Edited by Nurse_Lenora

When we're in the losing phases, it makes zero sense to eat any of the sugary, starchy, low-fiber, overprocessed carbs.

When we get to maintenance, it becomes a different calculation: How often and how much of the "treats" carbs will work for us? The answer to that is a very personal, individualized calculation for each person. Some can tolerate more carbs than others. Some have food issues that are triggered by specific carbs that don't bother others.

@@VSGAnn2014, I think you hit the nail-on-the-head with this. In the loosing phase I tried (and sometimes failed) to avoid those over processed, sugary/starchy carbs like the plague. They were (and still are) my trigger foods. However, now that I have been in maintenance mode for almost 2 years, and incorporate fitness into my life style 5-6 days of the week, I follow this rule of thumb:

1) On days that I have intense workouts, 40% of calorie intake comes from carbs (oatmeal and fruits in the morning; non starchy veggies--other than sweet potato--for lunch, and strictly non starchy veggies in the evening).

2) On days that my workouts are moderate, my carb intake is at 30%

3) Sunday Funday is my off day, but I am still active. My carb intake is at 20%. On these days my kids and I ride our bikes, scooters, or we play baseball or soccer; or just enjoy the outdoors: swings, trampoline, hide-and-seek, tag, etc.

I really need those good carbs for energy. My days are long. They are non-stop. I wake up early and usually get to bed late. So, I REALLY need the energy from those carbs. But that is just it: carbs are for fuel. Its like the gas in a car, and if your car isn't going any where, then you don't need the extra gas because that extra gas turns into that nasty visceral fat that is so hard to get rid of! Lol.

I think carbs have their place. If used correctly, they are great for you. If you have those "bad" carbs in moderation and you can handle that without triggering any negative behaviors, then power to you! I agree that it is different for every person. However, every person should educate themselves and learn what works and what doesn't work for them.

I'm surprised to read so many allow carbs to some degree. Until this thread carbs have been communicated as the uber no no.

I monitor my carb grams daily, I try to keep them less than my Protein. I'm more conscious of the source of my carbs. I will eat bread occasionally, but won't eat Pasta or potatoes. I've had candy, and fruit, I see those as trade offs for forgoing 'dry white carbs' (bread, crackers, cookies).

I avoid simple carbs. I do eat a lot of vegetables and some complex carbs (fruit, Beans, some grains) in moderation. I avoid Pasta, rice, and bread. I don't count or limit my carbs, but I think I've only gone over 100 g once since my surgery over seven months ago. The vast majority of days I'm under 80.

I'm not sure I could stick to an ultra-low-carb diet for very long and am glad my surgeon's office recommends a more balanced approach, even though I haven't lost as fast as some of the ultra-low-carb folks. The balanced approach seems like something I could keep up with indefinitely. Plus carbs don't unleash the "carb monster" in me like they do a lot of people.

I WILL BE SLEEVED JAN.21/22. I AM ON liquid diet, BUT WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS HOW MANY CABS /PROTIEN WILL I HAVE TO CONSUME A DAY TO CONTINUE TO LOOSE AND MAITAIN WEIGHT LOSS?

I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE ADD SUBTRACT FAT CALORIES AND CARBS. I NEED A INSTRUCTER FOR IDIOTS.

@@Amelia Mahone

You should really go with your dietitian's advice. The opinions and methods of everyone here, will vary vastly. However, a consistent consensus on this forum is this: while in the loosing phase, stick to low carb consumption (the goal is for your body to use its fat as fuel vs. the carbs you consume); and that those carbs are of quality (i.e. *complex carbs vs. simple carbs). So, the questions you should ask yourself are these:

1) What are your calorie goals post-op? Now, mind you, immediately post-op you are on survival mode. Those first few weeks, all I cared about was getting enough Fluid and calories in not to pass out or faint. But, there will come a point when your tummy is healing, swelling is subsiding and there is more room for food. You will notice that your intake is increasing. Is it at this point that the game for learning new eating habits begins and you need to figure our your calorie goals.

2) Of those calories, how many are for Protein, carbs and fats? For example, if your dietitian says that you need 60 grams of Protein (minimum) a day, 20 grams of carbs and 20 grams of fat; then you are looking at a 500 calorie intake. Mind you, this low calorie intake is typical for the first month due to the swelling in your tummy. It is really hard to consume more than that. Calorie intake increases with progression and healing. Again, you and your dietitian should set goals. Now, carbs and Proteins are worth 4 calories per gram, and fat is worth 9 calories per gram (that is where the 500 calorie calculation came from).

Hope this helps!

I don't avoid carbs, I just find that by putting Protein first, I end up eating relatively few carbs. At a meal, I will rarely "waste" room on things like rice or Pasta or bread. For a snack, I will sometimes incorporate some carbs, like wheat toast with Peanut Butter. But my nutritionist told me to NEVER eat a carb-only snack or meal.

I generally avoid simple carbs like rice, bread, Cookies, Pasta, potatoes, tortilla chips, tortillas. Don't get me wrong I will steal a bite or two from hubby's plate. I have had the occasional flatbread too.

I limit corn, peas, sweet potatoes, Beans. I don't like lima Beans but would limit those. But I just had chili that had beans. Last weekend I made chicken tortilla Soup with beans and corn. I did not top with tortillas, only cheese.

When I make Pasta at home for my husband it is Dreamfields low carb pasta so I don't feel bad snitching a bite or two.

I also limit fruits and only have them with Protein. Grapes and cheese, mangos/peaches in my Protein shake, apple slices and Peanut Butter. I also only have whole fruit not fruit juice. I don't even have no sugar added juice.

I love my vegetables so eat a lot of those. salad, sauted, steamed, grilled, oven roasted. Mostly lettuce, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, snow peas, carrots, red/yellow peppers, green beans, cooked onions, mushrooms. I occasionally have squash-butternut or spaghetti. I tend to not think about squash much so I just forget about it rather than actively limit it.

@@Amelia Mahone

You should really go with your dietitian's advice. The opinions and methods of everyone here, will vary vastly. However, a consistent consensus on this forum is this: while in the loosing phase, stick to low carb consumption (the goal is for your body to use its fat as fuel vs. the carbs you consume); and that those carbs are of quality (i.e. *complex carbs vs. simple carbs). So, the questions you should ask yourself are these:

1) What are your calorie goals post-op? Now, mind you, immediately post-op you are on survival mode. Those first few weeks, all I cared about was getting enough Fluid and calories in not to pass out or faint. But, there will come a point when your tummy is healing, swelling is subsiding and there is more room for food. You will notice that your intake is increasing. Is it at this point that the game for learning new eating habits begins and you need to figure our your calorie goals.

2) Of those calories, how many are for Protein, carbs and fats? For example, if your dietitian says that you need 60 grams of Protein (minimum) a day, 20 grams of carbs and 20 grams of fat; then you are looking at a 500 calorie intake. Mind you, this low calorie intake is typical for the first month due to the swelling in your tummy. It is really hard to consume more than that. Calorie intake increases with progression and healing. Again, you and your dietitian should set goals. Now, carbs and Proteins are worth 4 calories per gram, and fat is worth 9 calories per gram (that is where the 500 calorie calculation came from).

Hope this helps!

I'm interested in your last 2 sentences. How did you discover that? It will be very helpful to me in designing my daily meal plan.

@@Amelia Mahone

Hope this helps!

I'm interested in your last 2 sentences. How did you discover that? It will be very helpful to me in designing my daily meal plan.

Hope you aren't referring to the protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. That's just common scientific knowledge. Everyone who has ever been on a diet knows that much at least!