Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 days out and just starting to fell hunger

I am 9 days out and still struggle to get all my Protein and Water in each day. Its like a constant battle to remember to drink something. I am working at home and sometimes I realize it has been an hour since I have had anything. For the most part I am not hungry or thirsty, but I know I have to do it. The first few days I barley got down a couple bottles of Water and 3 Protein shakes and that was for the whole three - four days. Each day got better. I noticed the more I increased the Protein and water, I started losing again. So the last three days I have gotten in the minimum in each day. I also moved onto full liquids which was great but I am having some issues. Cant seem to tolerate almond milk or yogurt (only tried greek) I made SF pudding with FF milk and protein mix and that seems to be ok (though it didn't set very well.) Creamed Soup was pretty good though. Thankfully because everything else is so sweet. I just ordered unflavored protein so I can add it Soups and stuff. The Protein Shakes made with water are just so sweet it is getting harder and harder to get down.

My big issue is that I am not sure I am eating correctly. I start the morning with 8oz water. I have to take thyroid meds in the AM and then I cant eat for an hour. It takes about an hour to get the water down. I think I am so worried to over do, maybe I am under doing it. With each meal taking about an hour to drink, it takes a lot of time and effort to get down. I started full liquids and after about 2oz I stop. I get a weird feeling in my stomach so I stop. I don't know if I should push this because now an hour later I'm getting hungry. I hear that eating too often is just as bad as overeating so I don't want to get in that habit. Just not sure what is actual pain or signs to stop eating and what is just discomfort of putting new foods in and everything is just adjusting.

Any suggestions

Do you have a nutritionalist or support from your surgeons office? I think your pills add a little bit of complexity and they can help you with that.

So, if you feel "hungry" it frankly is probably acid if you are only 9 days out. Do you take a PPI?

I became somewhat lactose intolerant post sleeve - if it doesn't agree with you, don't consume it for now. Give your system some time to recover and try again later. Honestly, hydration is the most important thing. Your body has alot of calorie reserves if you are obese so you aren't going to starve to death :)

I hated the Protein drinks until I found ways to work with them. Syntrax nectar has a bunch of flavors and it is "thin". Later on, I graduated to Premier Protein, and 4 years later - I still drink at least one day to get to my Protein goals.

In those early weeks, I ate and drank by the clock. I followed my schedule like it was taking a prescription. It was alot of work. I was on full normal foods after about 6 weeks which was a very difficult, and kinda scary transition for me. That was probably a bit of a low point - I had this feeling of "OMG, this is a full time job"..... but it gets easier.

I hope I answered at least some of your worries, but it would be really great if you could talk this over with a good NUT or support person from your surgeons office. Hang in there!

Hello Sixties,

I'm losing faith, can't believed one day I'll be out of the 200's all of a sudden I dislike all proten drink, can not get 60oz of Water down, want something good to eat, feel like I need a Pepsi, have any body ever gave up, maybe I'll feel better tomorrow

Do you have a nutritionalist or support from your surgeons office? I think your pills add a little bit of complexity and they can help you with that.

So, if you feel "hungry" it frankly is probably acid if you are only 9 days out. Do you take a PPI?

I became somewhat lactose intolerant post sleeve - if it doesn't agree with you, don't consume it for now. Give your system some time to recover and try again later. Honestly, hydration is the most important thing. Your body has alot of calorie reserves if you are obese so you aren't going to starve to death :)

I hated the Protein drinks until I found ways to work with them. Syntrax nectar has a bunch of flavors and it is "thin". Later on, I graduated to Premier Protein, and 4 years later - I still drink at least one day to get to my Protein goals.

In those early weeks, I ate and drank by the clock. I followed my schedule like it was taking a prescription. It was alot of work. I was on full normal foods after about 6 weeks which was a very difficult, and kinda scary transition for me. That was probably a bit of a low point - I had this feeling of "OMG, this is a full time job"..... but it gets easier.

I hope I answered at least some of your worries, but it would be really great if you could talk this over with a good NUT or support person from your surgeons office. Hang in there!

thanks for the advice. I have my first post op appointment next week, but not supposed to see the Nut till week 4. I am at a little disadvantage with my current NUT. I was scheduled with another hospita/surgeon but had and ovary issue that forced me to have the ovary out. My GYN DR and WLS DR were not with the same hospital. My GYN Dr talked with the WLS Dr at his hospital and they agreed to to the surgery together. I figured one surgery was better than two so I was rushed trough the new WLS program. So much different than the one I went through first. I had one 20 min session with the first NUT, The second I only went through the last nutrition class (they have 4) I just dont have that relationship with the new NUT yet, but will have to bring it up with the surgeon when I go next week.

thanks

Hello Sixties,

I'm losing faith, can't believed one day I'll be out of the 200's all of a sudden I dislike all proten drink, can not get 60oz of Water down, want something good to eat, feel like I need a Pepsi, have any body ever gave up, maybe I'll feel better tomorrow

One thing I have learned in this process is that every day gets better and everyday is different. Dont give up.