Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood clotting disorders and the sleeve ? and Vitamins

I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and am wondering if I could have complications after my sleeve surgery because of it. anyone else who has had the sleeve have blood clotting disorder? my doctors don't seem concerned but my mom is very worried (that's what moms do lol) hoping to ease some of her worries and I'm not gunna lie mine too lol. also I was wondering about Vitamins I will have to take afterwards.

I am getting a bypass and also have a clotting disorder. Mine is such that I bleed too easily. I've worked with the hematologist and they are giving me a DDAVP infusion prior to surgery and will keep me in ICU to monitor my bleeding. I'd encourage you to talk with a hematologist. Always better safe than sorry. Good luck!

I am on Coumadin and will be the rest of my life . I was told that I can not be taken off blood thinner I will be on the lovanox shots in my belly for a while before surgery and stop them like a day or two before surgery and start them back as soon as they can afterwards. I have factor 2 mutation and Protein C&S deficiency. (Factor 2 mutation acording to my Dr is very rare and was passed down to me from my mother's father.)

Oh I also have had blood clots before in both lungs . They told me in the ER I had extensive blood clots in both lungs and sent me by ambulance to another hospital.(I went about 4 days having trouble breathing and it got to a point to ware It was extremely painful to breath or move.thats when my husband took me to the ER) I was in the hospital for a week I think.. Very painful and awful experience. And while in the hospital I got pneumonia on top of all that . (By the way I'm 23 years old ) I was terified. But I made it :) thank god.

I take Coumadin daily. I had vsg 10/26. They took me off Coumadin 5 days prior and I started injections daily. After surgery, they started me back on Coumadin as soon as I passed the leak test, while keeping me on injections. I stayed on both until I reached therapeutic levels post op. This is common anytime there's any type of procedure. They are very use to this and it's no problem. As an FYI, I'm on Coumadin due to spontaneous clots 4 years ago when both of my lungs were over 50% filled with clots, so it was a pretty serious intro to clotting! But as I said, surgeons are generally well use to dealing with this!

Mistie

Thank you it makes me feel better to hear from someone and confirm what I have been told. Oh I was wondering When do you have to go to do the leak test afterwards?

You are welcome. Bridging, as it's called, for surgery and other procedures, is very common and not a big deal. I even had to come off of the Coumadin to do my EGD, in case of biopsy. So no big at all.

The leak test for most is done 1) during surgery and/or 2) the morning after surgery. My surgeon did both to be extra careful. So around 9 am the morning after they took me down.

My only word of caution is afterwards, I still did not want anything to eat, of course. However, I took my Coumadin when they brought it. It was the first thing to hit the new tummy. The new tummy did not like this. I had to grab a trash can! lol. I kept it down, but oops! Just be careful of that.

Lol . Thanks for the tip . I've heard it helps a free surgery to get a sippy cup to help you remember to sip and not gulp ...and to get small kids plates and kids utensils. Have you heard /done either?

I've heard of it, and I did buy cutesy plates and 'taster' forks/spoons (as opposed to kids utensils, because they usually LOOK like they are for kids, whereas 'taster' ones are just smaller).

I learned for me, the smaller utensils were not really necessary. I adapted quickly to taking smaller bites. The first few weeks - I ate out of measuring cups, lol, it just was easier. Since then, it hasn't really been an issue. I have really nice dishes, and I just use the dessert plates, etc. As for the sippy cups - I don't like those - I tend to take in a lot of air when I use cups like that - and that HURTS like crazy for me. So I try to be careful what I drink out of, to avoid excess air in the tummy! My tummy is very sensitive to air!

I think I'll stick to regular or maybe smaller plates and use a regular cup. Can you use straws? And I was thinking of buying measuring cups and a food scale to measure my portions out ? What do you think. Sorry I'm asking a thousand questions . Lol

I think I'll stick to regular or maybe smaller plates and use a regular cup. Can you use straws? And I was thinking of buying measuring cups and a food scale to measure my portions out ? What do you think. Sorry I'm asking a thousand questions . Lol

Not a problem at all. Preop, that's how we prepare.

For plates, I will admit it's a mind game. Sometimes the smaller plates help. When using a regular size plate at first, it is sometimes hard to mentally accept, 'that's all I can hold' and you may be more likely to try to overeat, because you'll try to fill the empty space.

Most surgeons say do not use straws. The reason is it can cause stretching or simply air buildup in the tummy (think about it - you suck a bit before you get fluid). Some argue it does not cause stretching and use straws. I admit I used one briefly because it helped with Fluid intake, but it DID cause me to take in more air, so I stopped.

Measuring cups and a scale are a must! It will ensure you don't over eat, that you eat enough, and that you don't make yourself sick because you "eyeballed" the food, guesstimated, and got it wrong!

Thank you so much . Most people I talk to about this get annoyed and just don't want to talk about the surgery. OK so I've made a list of things to buy for afterwards anything you would say is a must ? (I'm adding measuring cups and a food scale. lol. )

Thank you so much . Most people I talk to about this get annoyed and just don't want to talk about the surgery. OK so I've made a list of things to buy for afterwards anything you would say is a must ? (I'm adding measuring cups and a food scale. lol. )

Hmm. liquid Tylenol - the pain is not intense after surgery, so you don't generally want the strong pain meds after a few days, but you might want something - so liquid Tylenol is great. Have some Protein shakes and Protein powders on hand - but don't overdo it. Your tastes change (for most people) after surgery - sometimes they change back, and sometimes they don't, so 'stocking up' might be a waste of money. Have all the things you'll need for the first week post-op already bought up (ie. broth, popsicles, Jello, etc.) - that'll save you a trip to the store after surgery - makes things easier!

I'd also suggest a good Water bottle that will help you measure your Fluid intake. You can use regular Water bottles, have a special refillable one you like, or whatever works for you. Also, go ahead and be looking up recipes for your different stages. My biggest challenge was figuring out what to eat. I had looked up recipes, but because the Ghrelin was gone, nothing has sounded good, so it has been (and remains) a challenge finding something I could make myself eat - so having options helps.

Hope this helps!

I went to the doctor yesterday for my second month of the six month supervised diet.(required by insurance) I was shocked to find out that I have lost 11 pounds! I was like umm am I seeing this right? I have a appointment next week and the week after that for a sleep study and another to see a pulmonologist because I have to have a clearance letter saying that my lungs are healthy enough for surgery. next thing to mark of the check list after those is a clearance letter from the cardiologist . I am so happy and things seem to be speeding along way faster than expected. My doctor called today to let me know that she was sending all of my information/documentation (that she has so far) for my insurance to my surgeon. yay!!! I have had a lot of time to think and my concerns and fears that I had before are fading away I just feel like the best way to go into all of this is to be calm and positive . no need and worrying myself to death. lol