Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right... help needed

Hello,

Merry Christmas to all!

Well I'm a little confused if I'm drinking correctly. I'm 4 days post surgery and I feel like I can drink all the Protein with no restriction which scares me, however the odd thing is that it hurts when I drink plain Water. Mentally I'm afraid of being dehydrated so I always have a drink in my hand, whether it's a Protein Drink or Water. I can honestly drink more than just a sip. I had a full cup of broth in about 20 minutes. Should I slow down? Am I stretching the pouch unintentionally? Am I harming my sleeve?

I'm not comparing at all, however I communicated with another person that had the surgery the same day and we were following up with each other's recovery (same surgeon). She said she hasn't been able to drink a full bottle of water. She says that she sips and when it hurts she stops for 15 minutes and drinks a little more. Is that how I'm supposed to do it?

I think I'm just freaking out because I can drink more than I expected.

suggestions? advice?

thank you!

I could drink a lot after surgery. It took me awhile to where I felt full. But now I can eat a egg and be stuffed. Kinda goes by the day for me.

I could drink a lot after surgery. It took me awhile to where I felt full. But now I can eat a egg and be stuffed. Kinda goes by the day for me.

Thank you for your response. I just feel like my body is always asking for liquids and I'm always drinking. I hope I have the same when it comes to the food stage. Thanks again! :)

Merry Christmas! I was sleeved 12/16 and can compare except I still can't get all my Protein in but thats because the taste grosses me out no matter what I mix it with

Be thankful you can drink so easily. No you aren't doing any harm to your sleeve....liquids flow right through your sleeve into your intestines. Meeting both Protein and fluids goal this early is excellent! I couldn't tolerate plain Water either. Same with artificial sweeteners and lactose. But shakes, Soup, juice, sports drinks, etc, went down just fine. All of these intolerances passed after 4 months.

If 100 people had WLS you would get 100 different versions of what WLS is like. All of them are normal....for that person. So relax and enjoy YOUR journey.

I posted almost the same thing after surgery! By day 3 I was getting all my liquids in with NO issues. You are fine! Like @@Kindle said, we just all experience this a little differently.

Merry Christmas!

One of the strangest things for me after surgery was how hard it was to drink plain Water. I found that just about any liquid was easier to drink than Water. Try Decaf tea. Try water with Mio drops or another enhancer. Try different temperatures: room temperature, warm, or even ice cold. Try sugar-free Popsicles. Try ice. Try broth/soup. You may find some temperatures are easier than others.

Fortunately, you can count all non-caffeinated beverages toward your Fluid total, including your Protein shakes.

Just keep trying. It will get easier. For me, I was eventually able to drink plain water without difficulty.

Be thankful you can drink so easily. No you aren't doing any harm to your sleeve....liquids flow right through your sleeve into your intestines. Meeting both Protein and fluids goal this early is excellent! I couldn't tolerate plain Water either. Same with artificial sweeteners and lactose. But shakes, Soup, juice, sports drinks, etc, went down just fine. All of these intolerances passed after 4 months.

If 100 people had WLS you would get 100 different versions of what WLS is like. All of them are normal....for that person. So relax and enjoy YOUR journey.

Thank you for your response! I seriously thought I was doing something wrong because I was able to drink more than I thought I could tolerate. I'm trying my best to get in my regular fluids but Protein hasn't been an issue. Well I started off with adding powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to cream Soups and I couldn't get the taste down my throat, I tried in the yogurt as well, it wasn't working for me. I went to GNC and bought the ready to Isopure Zero Carb drinks that has 40 grams of protein so it's easier. Yes, you're right, everyone's journey is different. :) Thank you for clarifying I'm doing fine :)

Merry Christmas!

One of the strangest things for me after surgery was how hard it was to drink plain Water. I found that just about any liquid was easier to drink than Water. Try Decaf tea. Try water with Mio drops or another enhancer. Try different temperatures: room temperature, warm, or even ice cold. Try sugar-free Popsicles. Try ice. Try broth/soup. You may find some temperatures are easier than others.

Fortunately, you can count all non-caffeinated beverages toward your Fluid total, including your Protein shakes.

Just keep trying. It will get easier. For me, I was eventually able to drink plain water without difficulty.

Yeah, the water oddly puts pressure in my belly, but Protein I can just drink and drink. It's trial and error at this point. One thing I learned is that Skim Milk goes right through me. I wanted a cold glass of milk with protein and it went right through me. I tried again later on at night and it was the same thing so perhaps my pouch is not happy with milk, who knows. Thank you for your reply. :)

I posted almost the same thing after surgery! By day 3 I was getting all my liquids in with NO issues. You are fine! Like @@Kindle said, we just all experience this a little differently.

Thank you! :) Like I said, dehydration during the holidays and ending up in a hospital is not something I want, and I'm sure my mother wouldn't be too happy about that. :) That's why I'm trying my best to constantly drink.

Hello,

Merry Christmas to all!

Well I'm a little confused if I'm drinking correctly. I'm 4 days post surgery and I feel like I can drink all the Protein with no restriction which scares me, however the odd thing is that it hurts when I drink plain Water. Mentally I'm afraid of being dehydrated so I always have a drink in my hand, whether it's a Protein Drink or Water. I can honestly drink more than just a sip. I had a full cup of broth in about 20 minutes. Should I slow down? Am I stretching the pouch unintentionally? Am I harming my sleeve?

I'm not comparing at all, however I communicated with another person that had the surgery the same day and we were following up with each other's recovery (same surgeon). She said she hasn't been able to drink a full bottle of water. She says that she sips and when it hurts she stops for 15 minutes and drinks a little more. Is that how I'm supposed to do it?

I think I'm just freaking out because I can drink more than I expected.

suggestions? advice?

thank you!

As weird as it sounds...it is called "water nausea." It will subside! I found that drinking water at room temperature, rather than ice/cold water is easier! From what I understand, some people have a harder time than others! I, too, can drink a lot at one time! I am going to ask my doctor questions like yours on Tuesday when I see her 17 days post-op. If she provides any info that hasn't been posted all ready, I will reply! Hang in there!

I was like you. I had absolutely no problems drinking. it's just liquid, it goes straight through us. be careful with gulping, though. just keep doing what you're doing and get in all of your liquids! congrats on a successful surgery. it is such a blessing

Sounds like you're doing great. I don't drink any plain Water because it hurts but at my post op visit my surgeon said that was normal and no worries as long as I'm drinking something (decaf tea, crystal light, any zero calorie non-carbonated drink really). I had my surgery 12/17 I was 302 day of surgery I'm now 278 as of yesterday. I drink a lot of broth and live off of Popsicles as drinking is still a bit difficult. I can scramble an egg and eat about 3 bites. You shouldn't eat more than 1-2 oz. even if you can tolerate it because you will stretch your sleeve. Sleeves take 8-12 weeks to heal that's why the diet is so important. Keep up the great work and no worries! Love the name by the way!

Sounds like you're doing great. I don't drink any plain Water because it hurts but at my post op visit my surgeon said that was normal and no worries as long as I'm drinking something (decaf tea, crystal light, any zero calorie non-carbonated drink really). I had my surgery 12/17 I was 302 day of surgery I'm now 278 as of yesterday. I drink a lot of broth and live off of Popsicles as drinking is still a bit difficult. I can scramble an egg and eat about 3 bites. You shouldn't eat more than 1-2 oz. even if you can tolerate it because you will stretch your sleeve. Sleeves take 8-12 weeks to heal that's why the diet is so important. Keep up the great work and no worries! Love the name by the way!

UGH! I hope I haven't stretched my sleeve....I wonder if there is a way to tell? If so, do you know if it will go back if I get strict with my diet? I'm seeing my doc on Tuesday so I will definitely ask those questions! I've only lost 12 lbs in 14 days post op and it bums me out when I hear people have lost more! But don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited for your loss so far!

Sounds normal to me!! Keep plugging away!

Edited by DaisyAmy