Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NYer going to NYU med center

Debbi,

I found you on an "over 50" thread and was looking for your progress - you haven't posted since your surgery so I'm hoping that's not a bad sign! Let us know how you're doing - I'm your age and feel we "oldies" have a bit more of a challenge. I'm scheduled for surgery in another 4+ weeks (providing there's no hangup with the insurance).

Hi, LinzerPA.

I'm still around and doing okay. I've lost 53 pounds since my surgery in February. I look and feel better, but I still have a way to go. The lapband has made it much easier to lose weight, but I find that I still have to do work on my part. Exercise, willpower and self control have to be part of your mindset. Unfortunately, sweets and soft foods go through the band easily, so if you allow yourself to dine on chocolate, ice cream or eat too many "easy to get past the band" foods -- chicken salad, tuna salad, eggplant parmagian..., you'll still consume too many calories. Of course, not as much as before, but it will hinder your weight loss.

My sister is addicted to Cadbury chocolate bars. She asked me if I thought the lapband would help her. I told her it wouldn't help unless she's ready to deal with her daily chocolate eating. That's my reality with the lapband.

However, it's definitely easier to eat half the amount of food than I use to eat at meals. If I sit down to eat a chicken parmagian dinner, I can manage about 1/3 of a cutlet and maybe 4 pieces of ziti. No salad unless it's chopped to pieces. A tiny piece of Italian bread crust with butter. That's all I can manage and I'm so happy for that. I only allow myself to eat a dessert once a week, usually on a Saturday or Sunday.

This surgery was a good decision for me. Just don't go into it thinking the band is going to do all the work for you. If you have the right mindset, the band will take care of the size of your portions. Just get the dessert eating under control before the surgery, if that's a weakness for you.

Good luck!

Debi

Debbie,

Glad to hear it's going well for you - I will take your advice. One thing they stressed in the seminar I attended was that it is a "tool" - I feel that's exactly what I need. I desperately need to slow down my eating and lessen the quantity. I am a carbohydrate addict so this will be a true test of my grit. No more donuts!

Lynne

Hi, Lynne. You won't have a problem missing donuts because they are one of the foods that you'd have a tough time eating -- unless you did it one tiny, tiny piece at a time. I don't eat too many carbs anymore. I can eat one slice of well-toasted bread with my morning coffee, if I want a slice of bread. I can eat a few pieces of ziti or two or three forkfuls of liguine. When it comes to mashed potatoes, maybe 1/2 a cup (probably less) would go down if I eat nothing else with it. You'll definitely be eating less carbs. You'll eat less of everything. Just stay away from junk. Really. food portions will no longer be a problem for you.

What is the date of your surgery? If you have any questions, please feel free to private message me. I'm glad to help. I would have been so nervous if it hadn't been for some of the nice people on this board who took the time to address all my concerns.

Hope you're having a nice weekend!

Debbie

Hi NYers I have an appointment on Wednesday to see the Nutritionist at NYU and I finished my 6 month supervised diet...finally. I cancelled my appt. 3 times, I think that this step may be the final step and I was probably getting cold feet but lately my eating has put an end to the hesitation. I can not control portions any longer. It may be due to hormones related to menopause or meds but whatever it is I am so glad there is the lap band.

I have a few questions tho for those of you who are banded and would really appreciate any feedback; It seems that the amount of food you can consume (to me) now is so much smaller that before.

1. Do you ever get frustrated that you can't eat "normally" like you did before?

2. Do you forget after a while that it's there?

3. Have you ever regretted getting it?

4. Do you feel healthier since getting the lap band?

Thank you so much....I have a million more and hopefully can ask the nutrionist when I see her/him?

Sooverit

Sooverit,

1. Do you ever get frustrated that you can't eat "normally" like you did before?

No. I can eat normally -- just a lot less. The surgeons aren't going to fill your band to capacity from the get-go. It's done gradually so you get used to it. Tell them that's the way you want it done. I have a VG band. It's seems to be more flexible with different textures of food than the original 4cc lapband. At least that's my understanding. I've never had the 4cc, but I can eat pretty much anything as long as I take small bites and chew well.

2. Do you forget after a while that it's there?

I'm reminded that it's there when I try to eat too big a forkful of food or if I try to eat past what my stomach tells me is enough. I don't feel the lapband any other time.

3. Have you ever regretted getting it?

Only when I read posts about bad experiences with the band. They scare me to death. However, I made the decision to get the band, Drs. Fielding/Ren are top notch and are well acquainted with what can go wrong, and I go for regular follow-ups. I wish I could have gotten my eating under control without it, but I wasn't having much luck with that. It seemed the more I tried, the more I gained. I knew there would be risks going into getting this surgery, but there were risks to my health if I didn't.

4. Do you feel healthier since getting the lap band?

Absolutely, and I've only lost 53 lbs of my weight. I can get up and down from a chair without other people noticing that I'm struggling. I walk faster. I'm less winded. Best of all, the dosage of my blood pressure medicine has been cut in half.

Hope my answers have helped you.

Debbie

hi I am very new to this site I have my first appt with my surgeon in 2 weeks in Long Island and am very nervous- about 60lb to loose- I am in my fifties fifties and have a daughter who did bypass-why did you decide to do the band? the md's in nyu dr fielding and dr wren have great reputatuins- good luck

I am also getting my lap band done with Dr felding, and am set for surgery on 1/24/08, i felt the seminar was what help me to really want to move ahead with this, i will be worth you wild. Dr. felding speaks at the forum, and holds a questions and answer, so do not be afraid to ask questions. Good luck

HI everyone:

Haven't been on in months. I finally met with the amazing Dr. Fielding yesterday and one word that comes to mind is confidence....he completely made me feel 100% confident in his abilities and my reasons for having this proceedure. It was like any anxieties or doubts were completely quelled after listening to him talk. I felt like I was talking to an old friend. With that charming slight Austrialian accent I would do anything he says. He desribed the lap band like it was the most normal thing in the world and just about every one in the country will if not does need one now before we all die of obesity related complications. We almost have a date just finishing up paperwork for our "friends" at CIGNA. The only slight small red flag was when I asked him how much I would lose with a BMI of 38 and he said you can expect to lose 60 -70 lbs. That's a BIG promise and I didn't think that was the "norm".

Hoping for Februay date,

Marg

Dr. felding also made me feel more comfortable and helped me feel the need to get this done. My surgery is tomorrow, hope all goes well,

I am also going to NYU. I am still in the paperwork part of the process. I am just about done. I have done the psych oart with Dr. Huberman and have an appt for 1/30 with the NYU nutritionist. I am hoping to be banded by March.

Christine

I'm new to this site, but would like to thank you for making me feel more comfortable with choosing NYU and specifically Dr. Fielding to perform the procedure. Are there any pointers that will help me with my psych evaluation with Dr. Huberman? Does anyone know if we will ever be able to have six pack abs, or will the port be sticking out?

Hi MIKECEE: hOW did it go? Hope you are recovering easily and taking it easy. Keep us posted and you are in our thoughts.

Hi Staylucid: Met with Dr. Huberman about 5 months ago and felt he had an easygoing very "sane" personality. He put my mind at ease and I never once felt like he was "evaluating" me. I just felt like he was there to give me support and piece of mind. Dr. Fielding told me the port does not stick out but if your stomach is firm you may be able to feel it more right under the surface of the skin.

Hello Everyone I would just like to tell you I had my surgery 1/24/08 by Dr. Fielding cant say enough positives about him and the staff at NYU so anyone using him your in great hands and the care i received in NYU was top .....I was very nervous about the surgery but when i got there everybody was wonderful and it was pretty great..Hope this helps....Good Luck CarolAnn