Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NYer going to NYU med center

Hello everyone,

I am a 48 year old female, 5' 8", 238 lbs. and am about 80 lbs over ideal weight. I have not been banded but just had to say that this is an amazing site and I am very greatful for all the generously helpful people here. I probably wouldn't have the courage to get this operation if it weren't for all the help and encouragement given here.

After reading the health risks from being overweight I feel 100 percent on the positive side about this procedure. I have learned that is not a magic bullet and it will still take effort on my part to lose the weight but this I am hoping will be a powerful tool in helping to stop re-gaining the weight that we work so hard to take off! I like going to the gym but I don't like being the only fat person that's been a member for almost a decade.

I have an appointment with the NYU Medical Center in Manhattan. CIGNA pays 100% when you have it done there. (Would love to chat with someone who has gone here or plans to!) I am thinking positive thoughts that they will pay up. I am a grey area BMI though at 37/38 but I do have recent back problems and high cholesterol. I am only nervous about them not paying. Don't want to go into debt again. Was wondering which was worse being in debt for a decade or 80lbs overweight? I've come to the conclusion that risking a shortened life is worse especially when you still have young kids. I am excited about the health benefits of this procedure and of course the perks of fitting into clothes better. I know this has got to be healthier than using diet pills and over exercsing! Thank you all once again for your support! :)

Joan

NY

Hi Joan,

I am also going to NYU to be banded. Which doctor do you like? I really like Dr. Fielding and he has been banded as well. I'm only starting my journey - I have my psych exam on Aug. 3rd. I think this is the best decision I have made for myself in a long time. I am substantially heavier than you so my BMI is over 40. I am travelling from the East End of Long Island - but I feel NYU is a really good place to have this procedure done. Good Luck !!

Maria

Joan and Maria,

You will be very pleased with the NYU program! Good luck to you both.

Dr. Fielding was my dr--and he was on my insurance. Whichever dr. is on your insurance--you should go with. as for being in debt or being overweight---being in debt will be easier--once you weigh less!

Dr. Kurian also just joined their practice--she is excellent too.

If you have any questions, drop me a line!

best wishes,

girlinnyc

Joan and Maria,

You will be very pleased with the NYU program! Good luck to you both.

Dr. Fielding was my dr--and he was on my insurance. Whichever dr. is on your insurance--you should go with. as for being in debt or being overweight---being in debt will be easier--once you weigh less!

Dr. Kurian also just joined their practice--she is excellent too.

If you have any questions, drop me a line!

best wishes,

girlinnyc

Hi Maria & Linn:

I am a few steps behind you Marie I have an appt. this Thursday for an introductory seminar. It's good to have a referral of a good doc like Dr. Fielding thank you girls! I live a bit closer to the city so I think I will drive in :)/ I just wanted to use that smily! This should be interesting. Did the NYU staff referr you to a nutritionist as well? I heard CIGNA needed you to see one as well as psych evaluation. Do they help you with all the step? I'm hoping.

thanks

Joan

Hi There Girlinnyc,

So happy to hear that you were satisfied and had a good experience with NYU! Dr. Kurian spoke at the seminar I went to. I like Dr. Fielding, Dr. Ren and Dr. Kurian - and yes, I would have any of them do my surgery if it was an insurance issue (I have Oxford). Question - does NYU use a flouroscope for fills?

Hey Joan,

The seminar is very informative - lots of info! I have my psych eval w/Dr. Huberman on Aug. 3 and then a nutritional assesment (which I'm told cannot be booked until after the psych eval). Good luck to you and maybe we will be getting banded around the same time!

Maria

They don't use flouroscope for fills, in my experience. i have had dr. fielding do my fills--and he definitely knows what he's doing!

hi joan,

i recently moved away from NY. i ended up getting my band in texas.

however i did investigate it in NY and i also know people who had it done (successfully)

one doctor who stands out nationally is Dr. Ren. she was part of the original FDA trials when they were just testing the procedure.

i went to one of her seminars and really liked her frankness. my doctor in texas was also in the trials (there were only a handful nationwide) and he has the highest regard for her.

regardless of who you choose...NYU is an excellent program and you are in good hands.

i would say for me....50 pct in importance is the operation. of equal importance is how the doctor sets up aftercare. meaning does he/she have seminars, how do they handle problems, fills, etc.

i originally investigated the band in 2002 and am very sorry i just did it this past march....it is one of the best things i've ever done for myself.

it isnt a magic bullet.....you definitely have to work a program (good food choices, exercise) but it has made it easier in terms of taming the "food demons"

good luck with your band.

I was banded by Dr. Fielding in April 06 and have had nothing but a wonderful experience with the practice. Feel free to PM me if any of you have questions I can answer for you. (I'm not likely to check this thread very often as I'm not so new -- it just caught my attention because it was at the top of the list on the new bandster forum).

Take care all -- you can't go wrong with NYU.

Julie

Hi Fellow NYUers,

Have appt with Dr. Ren on Aug 1.Cannot wait!!I have had a tough time over the past couple of years,but I am making a serious come back.Even beginning to love myself again. I know this procedure will be a great tool to help me feel better physically.(emotionally too-I am not comfortable this size)

Sooverit, Congrats to you! I am close to you in age(45) and BM.Think its great we are taking positive steps for ourselves!

Girlinnyc, Soooo glad to hear you were pleased with NYU. When was your operation and how are you feeling?

Mariaxoxo4u, Hey Woman-Want to tell you how wonderful it is to have you as a friend! I think we really "get" each other. Glad we are taking the journey together!

LIGHT ER NYC;)

Hi Guys.....I was banded by Dr Fielding. He does the fills without a floroscope.

He knows just where the port is and has never had to do a second stick. Gasper the Nurse Practioner was great too.

Julie how do I PM you? I'm having a ventricle hernia and pannus surgery done August 20th by Dr Fielding.......how bad is the recovery going to be? The banding was a breeze compared to what is coming next.

help!!!!!!!

Judy

Hi Maria:

Best to you at the next two steps of your journey. Please keep us posted. I'm making my appt. today for phych eval. I thought the seminar was very informative and actually shocking at times when they showed on the screen the country chart and the increase in obesity in each state in the last 25 years!! It's amazing, and I felt completely sure that I want this after going. I clearly understood the dozens of reason why we all became obese...it was really fasinating actually. Thank goodness for this technology!!

Hey Josie: Howz Texas treating ya? We are lifetime NYers but almost had to move to TX for my husb's business. I thought it was a fun place except for the heat, but I bet with the weight off it's much more tolerable. Thanks so much for the great info regarding Dr. Ren! It really makes me feel confident she is the right choice. They charge alot out of pocket though - 26,000 now. I don't have the co-morbidities my insurance company wants...yet, so I don't know if I can afford this proceedure. It's killing me because the "food demons" as you so rightly called them are winning finally....they've been tormenting me my entire life ....not they are in charge! :-(