Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NYer going to NYU med center

Light how was your appt. with Dr. Ren? Was this your actual surgery date?? If it was congratulations ...and how are you doing now? Had a quick ? about insurance ...did you go thru insurance? Everything work out with that? Well take care of yourself. It only dawned on me after I started to write that you are probably newly post op...:notagree get your rest.

Maria: I loved Dr. Huberman also...he really made me feel confident about this surgury. He didn't really seem like a "shrink" at all. I thought he'd be playing head games to see if I realy wanted the surgery but he was a great guy.

Yes, I too am going to request Dr. F because of the scaring. This part is really nerve wrenching...waiting ..waiting and for me obsessing about being approved by insurance co.

I hope you find out soon about your insurance. Did you call the insurance company and ask if the procedure was covered? Did your PCP get back from vacation yet? I have Oxford and they cover the procedure and I don't need to do a 6 month medically supervised diet. What's weird is I just switched from MDNY about 3 months ago - I didn't know it 3 months ago, but MDNY does not cover the operation at all. Divine intervention? Maybe.... Well, we WILL be banded, all in good time. Sometimes we make plans and God laughs, ya know? Keep in touch....

Maria

Update: I had my psych eval on Aug. 3 - almost didn't pass, Dr. was leery about the fact that I have a tendency to binge. Hello? How does he think I got this huge? By eating like a bird and not eating in between meals? Is there anything wrong with eating 8-10 MINI Reese's Peanut Butter cups one after another? !!!!

First off, congrats to everyone on here who is doing so well. I too am from Long island, and have decided to go with dr fielding/ren at NYU. I have an appointment on friday with doctor Huberman and was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what kinds of things he will be asking, and what he is looking for. any insights and things you remember from the conversation would be appreciated.

Hi Geccofoxx! Welcome! You are going to love Dr. Huberman. He's so nice and down to earth and REAL. He makes you think. I am not banded yet, and any of you experienced bandsters can correct me if I'm wrong, but from the questions he presented to me, I think the psych eval is to make sure you are mentally stable, not suidicidal, not bulimic or have anorexia, and you have decided to have this operation for the right reasons. He did express concerns about binge eating which initially I said I was not a binge eater. After some discussion, it was clarified that I was in fact a binge eater and he will give you the explanation of a "binge eater". (Which I cannot remember what the explanation was because I was preoccupied with "Oh, my God - I failed the psych exam" ringing in my head!) He will have you fill out a form with a short family history and typical meals that you eat now and general info about yourself. It was virtually painless! It's a necessary step if you want Dr. Fielding to do your surgery and I'm soooo excited to have this procedure done by a PIONEER in this field - We are so lucky!!!

Maria

Hi Gecco:

I am in total agreement with Maria, I loved Dr. Huberman and he was so much nicer and more charming than I thought he'd be. He made me feel like I was making the right decision and I actually felt I didn't feel like he was testing me. He talked lap band talk in person and no one I know does that....I only get on line lap band talk, so it was good to talk in person about it.

The questionaire was only about a 6 or 7 pages nothing too difficult. The only thing was the foot pain the next day when I sprinted from Penn Station to his office on 40th on the east side. I love power walking in the city though and miss doing it when I worked there. Now if I did that every day...I wouldn't need this! :)

Hi Maria:

Thanks for checking in ....Yes I did call insurance co and they do cover it though they directed me to a doc only section that seemed from reading it that I would never get covered unless I was had a majorly serious heart condition....but I think that might be wall/road block number one they put up. Did your PCP get back from vacation yet? Yes! and I had the sleep apnia test waiting on results. Have a physcial scheduled for 8/20. I have the Nutritional appt. on the 30th ....have to have all my papers in order by then! . Divine intervention? Maybe.... Well, we WILL be banded, all in good time. Sometimes we make plans and God laughs, ya know? Keep in touch....I loved what you said Maria....you are right sometimes I forget and think I'm in charge at times! Keep in touch! :-)

Good, I'm glad you are back on track since your PCP is back! You were lucky to get an appointment for the Nutitional Assessment on 08/30/07! I'm not going until 09/10/07. Things are rockin' & rollin'! Yeah, I think we need to bring that patient survey with us, copy of our insurance card (front and back), recent full body picture... can't remember if there was anything else. Keep in touch!

Maria

Hi Sooverit,

I have appt with gyn on Aug 10, pre-op appt on Aug 20 and surgery scheduled Aug 27,if all goes well. This, coupled with the fact I am moving on Aug 15, is exhausting! Truth is- I am better under pressure, and it is a relief to have something else to concentrate on!!

I need to keep reminding myself that I am only responsible for the footwork, not the outcome, and keep plugging away.

How is your journey coming along? I hope you are maintaining peace of mind.:eyebrows:

LIGHT:)

Yes I am "trying" to maintain a peace of mind but I do wake up thinking about this and go to sleep with it on my mind. I feel that once this "weight issue" is no long an issue I can get on with life....not a good way of thinking I know. On a positive note tho; since I have been thinking about this surgery I am feeling that this weight thing is only a temporary issue and it is not who I am and I haven't felt that way in a while ... I too do better under pressure just remember to take it slow.

Hi,

I'm Melissa from Nj. I will be banded on Aug 21. I am having it done in NJ, but I recently read the book Fighting Weight By A. Ali, Muhammed Ali's daughter. She had her surgery there and this book talks about her experience there. You may want to pick it up at B & Noble. Its about $20 and it was very informative. She was banded a few years ago and looks fabulous!

Keep in touch and let me know how things are going. I am presently on the pre-op liquid diet. I am dieting to chew something! take care

Hi Sooverit,

I can relate. The feeling of wanting this procedure over is overwhelming at times. I just cannot wait to rid myself of this "FAT SUIT".

Hang in there, we are moving in the right direction.

Hey Melissa!

Welcome! Great book!! There is something about reading our shared emotions and thoughts that is comforting to me. You too?

Hey Maria (Oh-Good)

Great eats, huh? The countdown soon begins!

Dr. Fielding did my surgery on 2/12/07. I feel good, have had no problems. Dr. Fielding and his partner, Dr. Ren, are top notch. They don't come better. I've had no problems to date. I'm losing slowly, but steadily. I've been seeing Dr. Ren on a monthly basis for follow-ups. That's because I go to their satellite office in White Plains (they are there once a month) and she's the one who takes care of patients there.

Good luck!