Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They said "weight just fell off me" what does that mean really?

I keep waiting for my weight to just fall off me. When some say that, yes I get it is a figure of speech. But how fast could they be speaking of? My Doc & NUT says no more than 2-3 lb a week if that.... I workout, don't cheat AT ALL, drink Water, drink Protein, eat protein.... I am doing all the right things. I wouldn't say its "slow" I am at 2 lb a week. But I notice my scale does a lot of back and forth too... Ughh .. Which I know could be Water or hormones etc. But I want to know about the people who said oh you grow put of pants so fast etc... I am fitting in smaller jeans now yay... But not finding that they are getting looser & looser lol... I just envisioned these incredible shrinking people & I am not that person.

Am I alone on this thought? Lol

I remember hearing one of the practitioners on my team saying that, the weight would just " fall off" and that was exactly what I was looking for, imagine my disappointment when it didn't. I quantified "falling off" to mean upwards of 6#s a week. And there were a few golden weeks that I experienced such a big loss, but mostly not. And not a single pound was lost without effort...eating right, staying Protein focused and exercising. So I say bag humbug to the "it falls right off" line. It comes off consistently, with points of bigger losses....but falling off implies no effort and this takes effort every moment of every day.

@@Lexuskela I started higher than you, but lost about 30 pounds in the first month, then about 15 the second, then 8-10 after that. The last few months might have been a pound or two. I lost about 145 pounds in 14 months.

It felt like it fell off for two reasons. 1) It was a steady loss. That really adds up over time. 2) It wasn't easy, but it was easier than it had ever been in my whole life, so it felt easy to me. The fact that it took a fraction of the effort I usually had to put in, combined with the fact that it actually worked, made me feel like weight just fell off.

I'm not sure how long it has taken you to lose 81 pounds, but if that was since July, that would have qualified as an acceptable rate to me. It's probably got more to do with our expectations.

I have never lost 86 lbs in 4 months before so I feel as if my weight has 'fallen off'. For me, I'm not worrying about the weight dropping, I know I am going to freak out when maintenance hits. THEN I will struggle.

For some it does drop off, some are steady and slow. Its all good :)

Having spent so much time at WLS online forums pre-op, I knew (from looking at so many monthly weight loss charts / tables people had posted online) that the 30-pounds-a-month losers tended to be people who were much heavier than me, men, and younger people.

The first 4 months I averaged 10 pounds a month. Then the next 4 months closer to 5-6 pounds a month. Then the next 6 months 2 pounds a month.

It never mattered to me how fast I lost -- only that I could eventually lose all my excess weight. And I have. And am maintaining easily.

And for the rest of your life that is really, truly all that you will care about.

The first few weeks I lost a lot, I have hit many stalls since. I am 6 months out now and have been in a pattern of I lose for about 2 weeks, about 2-4 pounds then the scales don't move for two to three weeks. So I guess it is up to your body how it is going to handle all the changes. I workout 4-6 times a week and put great effort into losing. I hope that you do not feel as though you are only because I did with my pattern of losing, but when I posted about it several other people were close with similar patterns. Just think were you came from and were you want to be and it will keep you motivated.

HW-265-Jan 2015

Surgery date-June 15

Today weight-188

I am intrigued that"falls off" was the term they used. Explains the many disappointed people are who post tales of woe losing" only X number of pounds.if this is a commonly used term....it is disappointing.

I asked what I could expect. My NUT laid out a normal range of percentage of excess weight lost by a certain timeframe. So, if you have 100# to lose (based on charts) and it is normal to lose 40-60 percent by a certain timeframe, you know you are on track or not.

I wish more people would realize how epic it is to consistently lose and it doesn't need to be 6# a week to be successful! The only reason I even remember is because I kept good records. Down the road what matters is that I did it and am maintaining.

I am intrigued that"falls off" was the term they used. Explains the many disappointed people are who post tales of woe losing" only X number of pounds.if this is a commonly used term....it is disappointing.

I asked what I could expect. My NUT laid out a normal range of percentage of excess weight lost by a certain timeframe. So, if you have 100# to lose (based on charts) and it is normal to lose 40-60 percent by a certain timeframe, you know you are on track or not.

I wish more people would realize how epic it is to consistently lose and it doesn't need to be 6# a week to be successful! The only reason I even remember is because I kept good records. Down the road what matters is that I did it and am maintaining.

Thank you! Yes it is very disappointing. It is commonly used & my first month I lost 30 lbs & of course I didn't expect that to continue, so yes the first month I considered that 30 lbs falling off me. Since the first month though I have worked for every pound I feel. I don't feel like I have just sat here & its fallen off me. Lol as far as eating yes that's easier, & no cravings & not wanting to eat that is all easier. But still making sure I am eating my Proteins & staying away from sugars & carbs etc & keeping Water in & Vitamins etc .... I say its work... Not hard but I am not just sitting on the couch and getting skinny lol.

????????

I guess in my mind I would say it fell off of me if I was at my goal and looked how I want to look now. Lol I am not at that point yet, so I would never say to someone it fell off me. I would say its the best decision I have ever made in my life for myself. Its definitely a great tool that makes losing weight easier and faster. But yes, you have to work it & own it. It does not do the job for you. It is not a miracle & it won't do it without effort on your part. The weight does not fall off you, you have to earn every pound just the same. You still hit plateaus, you still go up & down on the scale. Its not just numbers suddenly flying down the scale like people made it sound. ????????

Let's put in in perspective.

It took me A YEAR to lose what you've lost so far.

No, the weight didn't fall off. Far from it. But I could give a sh*t. I'm now at goal and maintaining, like Ann said. The actual weight loss is just a blip on the radar. Maintenence is the rest of our lives.

Someone the other day asked me how much I'd lost before I dropped a size. I couldn't even remember, it's been so long ago. At least it SEEMS so long ago. Just doesn't matter anymore.

Perspective.

To me, the most "relevant" comment that the weight "just fell off" me was from people who only say me once every month or so. They literally saw me every time I dropped a size and I was VERY diligent (shopping whore here) about staying in clothes that fit, never wearing items that were too big.

While I never had a 20 pound month (or 15 pound month after the first month), I am sure it appeared that way to people who saw me only occasionally.

I've lost almost 50lbs since my surgery on 8/17. I don't think I would've been able to do it without this sleeve...it's awesome. I wouldn't say the weight fell off, but it's been steady....with the 39 I lost prior to surgery I am so very happy to have done this. Slow and steady wins the race :)

Nutritionist ????????

I guess in my mind I would say it fell off of me if I was at my goal and looked how I want to look now. Lol I am not at that point yet, so I would never say to someone it fell off me. I would say its the best decision I have ever made in my life for myself. Its definitely a great tool that makes losing weight easier and faster. But yes, you have to work it & own it. It does not do the job for you. It is not a miracle & it won't do it without effort on your part. The weight does not fall off you, you have to earn every pound just the same. You still hit plateaus, you still go up & down on the scale. Its not just numbers suddenly flying down the scale like people made it sound.

It's just a term people use. Just like some people like the term "journey" and some don't, some people call it a diet and that infuriates others, some people think it's a crime to weigh daily and others swear by it, this is just a term not meant to offend or mislead anyone. Don't use it, since it doesn't apply to you. I like it for me, even though I was a slightly slow to average loser (based on expected percentages of excess weight lost) :)