Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To tell or not to tell?

I have told only a very few people that I was considering surgery. So far only my husband and employer knows. When I mentioned it to my mom, she kind of freaked out and said how terrible my life would be after surgery and how I wouldn't be able to ever eat normal again, yada yada, complications, etc. Therefore, I'm hesitant to tell her it is going to happen in January. If I don't tell her, she'll of course notice at the next family gathering when I'm eating only a very small amount. We live in the same town and talk almost daily, so she'd notice if I was in the hospital for a few days. Just wondering if anyone else has tips on this.

I was very lucky. I told lots of people and every single one was supportive. I think that was rare. I wouldn't have cared if they weren't supportive. My decision had been made and their opinion would not have mattered to me.

While I was going through the prep, I only told two people. When I was approved and a surgery date scheduled, I told a few more people, figuring the gossip line would let everyone else know. Not until about 50 loss, did anyone comment. I readily told them I had bariatric surgery. Their first response generally was "I know someone else who had that surgery and they had _____ complications." Now after five months and 80 pounds, I want to discuss my surgery with anyone who has an interest. I want to be an advocate for WLS.

People are going to ask how you are losing so quickly. And as in my case, those who didn't ask, assumed I had cancer or some other bad thing wrong with me. Don't fool yourself by thinking no one is going to notice or ask.

I think the biggest struggle with telling or not telling is the fear of what feedback you are going to get. Most of it will be positive. But then there are uneducated (uneducated in bariatric surgery) people who will say something stupid or hurtful. When this happens, you have one of two choices. You can either allow that stupid/hurtful comment to chip away at your self-esteem or you choose to realize that this person has no clue as to what they are saying. Trying to educate them more than likely will be useless, because they know everything about everything. But you can try. Don't give these negative people the power to make you feel bad about yourself.

The most hurtful thing someone can say to me is that I took the easy way to weight loss. This has only happened once. My response was "I respect your opinion, but you have no idea what you are talking about." And I left it at that. I did not give that person the power to make me feel bad. I put a lot of hard work into my weight loss. My surgery is only a tool.

Generally, when someone belittles you, they are trying to make themselves feel better and more superior to you. They themselves suffer from low self-esteem and the only way they can feel better about themselves is to belittle someone else. This is not your issue, but theirs. Don't allow this to be your issue.

I was married to a bully for 17 years who made me feel I was lower than the grunge build up at the base of the toilet. It took a divorce and five years of counseling before I finally realized that there was nothing wrong with me - it was him all along!

Just don't give away your power to anyone who doesn't deserve it.

Edited by Cheri_j

Well said!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches