Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I currently live in Maryland and have insurance with my school in Virginia that will run out on February 28th. I will be graduating in February and moving to Texas shortly after which qualifies me for the special enrollment period according to the BCBS Texas representative I chatted with. Thing is, she also informed me that BCBS Texas does not cover bariatric surgery at all for the entire state of Texas but many people here on the forums have successfully had their their surgeries covered by BCBS Texas. I've just turned 26 so the whole insurance thing is all new to me and I'm only looking at BCBS Texas because from what I've read here on the forums, their pre-operation requirements are not as tedious/time-consuming as other insurance companies. With all the conflicting information I'm not sure what to think now and would love any information from you guys in the forums that could help clear things up.

Edited by seizethelook

I'm in Kansas but have BCBS of Texas. They cover after you jump through the hoops. Policies vary and (from what your rep said) from state-to-state. Would it cover if you went to a neighboring state (assuming that's possible for you)?

@@songsmith Hi, thanks for your reply! I think having it in Texas would be the best option for me right now but may look at neighboring states if things don't work out in the future ... Curious to know what you mean by "jump through the hoops" if you don't mind sharing??

My surgery was covered under BCBS Texas (retired from state institution). Although my BMI was 36, I had several obesity related conditions. I got approval in about 10 days. The only issue is the high deductible that must be met before they will pay 100%.

Seizethelook- if you would like to send me a message, I'll be happy to share more details with you. I can give you the the instructions on how to access the BCBS policy for bariatric surgery.

The hoops weren't too bad. I just didn't want to wait that long! I needed to meet with the dietitian for six months before they would approve surgery. Last week was my final meeting. In hind sight, I wish I had used those months to really begin adjusting my eating and exercise routine, but I was at 43 BMI and worried I might lose too much and drop the BMI to an "acceptable" amount. It wasn't until the past few weeks that I really knuckled down.

I have friends who had the surgery, and their insurance company only required 2 months of dietitian visits and a psych eval, so I call BCBS of TX's procedure "hoops." (It really wasn't that bad.)

@@songsmith Haha, those are the hoops I thought I would be avoiding by going with BCBS Texas!! Like you said, I worry I'll lose too much weight and fall below the 40 BMI mark. It seems like everyone has a different experience even though it's the same insurance company!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches