Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone skipped anti-DVT injections?

Take it from someone who has had DVT in the past, take the shots...take a deep breath, pinch the skin tight, place the needle against the skin, and push it in. Once you do the first one, you will be ok!!! I am pre-op for gastric sleeve in the next few weeks - but I had DVT a year and a half ago - been on Lovenox twice - one time for 5 days, once for 28 days - I gave myself all of those shots after I got comfortable with doing it twice a day! You can do it!!!

The risks of not taking the injections are death, stroke, heart attack, etc.

Trust me. Take the shot. I've had DVT and PE. Much easier to take the injection if that's what your doctor says than to risk potential death. A blood clot forming and moving through your blood stream could hit your heart, lungs, or brain. Shots are not fun, but one quick jab and you're done. I've had to do it so frequently over the last few years I barely feel it anymore (every time I have even a minor procedure).

Good luck!

My surgeon only gives them in the hospital. Perhaps you could call your surgeon and ask what about your specific medical situation makes them necessary?

Usually a BMI over 50 will require several weeks of injections. Better to be safe than sorry ...

My BMI was over 60, so that doesn't hold true with my surgeon. The reason I said to ask specifically about the person's own situation, is that I'm not real big on "everybody gets the same treatment no matter what." You never know, her surgeon could say that with her BMI and/or her mobility, she could safely skip it.

My surgeon only gives them in the hospital. Perhaps you could call your surgeon and ask what about your specific medical situation makes them necessary?

Usually a BMI over 50 will require several weeks of injections. Better to be safe than sorry ...
My BMI was over 60, so that doesn't hold true with my surgeon. The reason I said to ask specifically about the person's own situation, is that I'm not real big on "everybody gets the same treatment no matter what." You never know, her surgeon could say that with her BMI and/or her mobility, she could safely skip it.
Very true ... It's definitely not a one size fits all that's for sure.

I only had to do 10 days of Lovenox injections at home. I did them myself and HATED them lol. I even asked the doctor if I could stop but I didn't. Thankfully. Keep it up they will be done before you know it.

Whoa Whoa - wait I have to give my self shots?! I can't stand needles... no one told me I have to give myself shots... this adds something else I need to wrap around before surgery so I don't get freaked out... why didn't anyone tell me I had to do shots?!...

I'mma talk to my doctors about this - I want to know EVERYTHING I'm going to have to do and deal with after surgery... I don't like suprises when it comes to stuff like this... :(

@@Oxfordjilly

I hate injections, really hate them but did them for 14 days after discharge from hospital. Check why with your team :)

Wiltshire - kate ;)

Whoa Whoa - wait I have to give my self shots?! I can't stand needles... no one told me I have to give myself shots... this adds something else I need to wrap around before surgery so I don't get freaked out... why didn't anyone tell me I had to do shots?!...

I'mma talk to my doctors about this - I want to know EVERYTHING I'm going to have to do and deal with after surgery... I don't like suprises when it comes to stuff like this... :(

No there are other options. My doctor implanted an IVC filter. My BMI was waaay over 60. I didn't have injections or meds to take of any kind. You can leave the filter in indefinitely if you choose. I had mine removed 3 mths post op.

I have the filter and had to do the shots, in addition. Some doctors require the injections pre and post op, some just while in the hospital, some not at all. Speak with your doctor.

What's DVT? I didn't have to do any shots. Now almost 3 weeks post op

What's DVT? I didn't have to do any shots. Now almost 3 weeks post op

DVT = deep vein thrombosis. It's a blood clot that originates in the leg, generally in the area of the calf. Oftentimes they will put a compression machine on patients (on the legs) post surgery until they are walking regularly to decrease the risk (increases circulation). Many wls doctors also require blood thinner injections such as Lovonox for a period of time. I've heard some doctors require up to 30 days post op of injections. All doctors are different, however.

Take this very seriously.

I recently lost a friend and colleague to a blood clot. He didn't have Weight Loss Surgery, but he died way too young.

I know how you feel, because I was scared at the idea of giving myself the shots too, but I've been doing it for 8 days now, and you know what? It's not that bad. Find the flabbiest part on your lower belly off the sides of your belly button, alcohol rub, pinch the chub, hold the pen over the area and just push the plunger! It really doesn't hurt that bad and it may save your life. We did our surgeries to make our lives better not end them with complications. You can do this! I am and I'm a big freaking whimp!

Follow surgeons orders. ..such a small thing in the context of the whole rest of your life.

Having said that, I had no idea this is so common. My surgery was 4 years ago, I didn't do this and it wasn't really discussed much - is this a change in protocol?