Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Can't find a protein drink that I can tolerate!

Here the handouts from my Baiatric Handbook. Also if the sweet taste is too much, you could also try the unflavored powder and just add that to foods on you allowable food list. I am one of the ones that dislikes Premier Protein. I use the unflavored powder and also the NoCarb drinks but only the tea and coconut flavors.

protein drink 2

I've been testing Protein drinks/powders, too. I agree about the Syntrax. It was surprisingly nummy (though probably better with some added sugar free coffee syrups). I've also used Isopure (plain) and liked it a lot. whey Protein isolate is far better taste wise (IMO) than other varieties of whey protein. I haven't tried soy or cassein or egg, so can't speak to those.

Plan to try unjury soon. I've heard good things.

Otherwise I have just tried Optifast banana which is actually delicious, i was expecting to absolutely hate it.

curvybrittI

I really like the Optifast products.

I remember trying them years ago and absolutely hated it but the banana one is yum! I'll have to try the other flavours.

@@talkingmountain

I have this problem as well. Now I will say that premier Protein chocolate is the only kind and flavor that I can tolerate and because it is so packed with Protein you only need a couple.

I bought a case of vanilla and literally could not drink it. Had to give it to my son.

Hello Everyone,

I would suggest opting Protein shakes which are recommended by Personal Trainers. As, they can suggest best Protein Shakes to take according to your body type. And that’s definitely easy to digest and if not, they would give you good fitness training so that your body get that much stamina you need to digest the same.

And yes, there are best recommended Protein shakes you can take guidance from:

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/build-muscle/best-and-worst-whey-protein-powders

http://freeformfitness.ca/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/best-protein-powders.html

Cheers,

Jean

I've tried so many Protein Drinks now that I decided to write up my finding in case they help others. Look for the "PROTEIN drinks - ASSESSMENT ..." post in the nutrition/protein & Vitamins forum if you are interested.

It really is a YMMV thing. Our tastes and texture preferences all differ. The best thing you can do is obtain samples (don't spend a ton of money!) on Protein supplements approved by your surgeon and try them to determine which ones you can tolerate the most. That's how I knew I didn't take to the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (though the chocolate was better than the vanilla).

Have you tried mixing the Protein with a sugar free Syrup like Toroni or DaVinci? A lot of people have had success that way.

It really is a YMMV thing. Our tastes and texture preferences all differ. The best thing you can do is obtain samples (don't spend a ton of money!) on Protein supplements approved by your surgeon and try them...

@@songsmith

Maybe it's because I live in a rural area, but I have been unable to find many sample sizes to try locally. GNC is great about letting you try &are turn. But that's a lot of time & hassle. Sample kits that I've ordered are usually minimum of $20-30 ($10-20 for the samplers and $7-12 for shipping...plus tax). All in all I've spent several hundred dollars. FYI, I posted my "reviews" in the Nutrition/Protein forum in case it might help others save a little time and money by narrowing down the number of things they have to try!)

I did look at the few Toroni syrups available in my area but they are all sweetened with sucralose which doesn't seem to agree with me. I've purchased several Crystal Light type products to try, since they have aspartame or saccharine, both of which I find preferable in taste and don't disagree with my GI system. Can't wait to be past the Protein shakes stage 'cause it's all toxic fake food as far as I'm concerned!!

The good news is, I have finally found two that work for me!

1. Muscle Milk Naturals chocolate actually tastes nice; not overly sweet and almost no artificial sweetener or better stevia taste. It is higher in carbs (10) than my NUT wanted (6) but below her absolute max (11). It has the standard protein-powder texture which I don't mind, and it's very filling. it's lactose free and is a mixture of Proteins that includes whey isolate, which I like (I know there's a lot of buzz about whey isolates being the "best" but I haven't seen any scientific evidence if this. Until I do, I like mixtures because that's more the way things occur in nature)

2. Jay Robb Whey Protein chocolate is a little too sweet for me, but not much, and amazingly does not have the horrible bitter taste that usually attends stevia-sweetened products. And it has this really creamy, milk-chocolate flavor that I love. At only 1 carb per serving, it makes my NUT happy. It's very smooth, too, for those who don't like the "protein powder" texture.

10 vs

Edited by talkingmountain

It really is a YMMV thing. Our tastes and texture preferences all differ. The best thing you can do is obtain samples (don't spend a ton of money!) on Protein supplements approved by your surgeon and try them...

@@songsmith

Maybe it's because I live in a rural area, but I have been unable to find many sample sizes to try locally. GNC is great about letting you try &are turn. But that's a lot of time & hassle. Sample kits that I've ordered are usually minimum of $20-30 ($10-20 for the samplers and $7-12 for shipping...plus tax). All in all I've spent several hundred dollars. FYI, I posted my "reviews" in the Nutrition/Protein forum in case it might help others save a little time and money by narrowing down the number of things they have to try!)

I did look at the few Toroni syrups available in my area but they are all sweetened with sucralose which doesn't seem to agree with me. I've purchased several Crystal Light type products to try, since they have aspartame or saccharine, both of which I find preferable in taste and don't disagree with my GI system. Can't wait to be past the Protein shakes stage 'cause it's all toxic fake food as far as I'm concerned!!

The good news is, I have finally found two that work for me!

1. Muscle Milk Naturals chocolate actually tastes nice; not overly sweet and almost no artificial sweetener or better stevia taste. It is higher in carbs (10) than my NUT wanted (6) but below her absolute max (11). It has the standard protein-powder texture which I don't mind, and it's very filling. it's lactose free and is a mixture of Proteins that includes whey isolate, which I like (I know there's a lot of buzz about whey isolates being the "best" but I haven't seen any scientific evidence if this. Until I do, I like mixtures because that's more the way things occur in nature)

2. Jay Robb Whey Protein chocolate is a little too sweet for me, but not much, and amazingly does not have the horrible bitter taste that usually attends stevia-sweetened products. And it has this really creamy, milk-chocolate flavor that I love. At only 1 carb per serving, it makes my NUT happy. It's very smooth, too, for those who don't like the "protein powder" texture.

10 vs

Try Nashua Nutrition online (spelling may be off). They will sell you a sample of anything they carry for $2

I live in a rural area too and have the same problems

Have you ever tried unflavored powder?? Then you can do whatever flavored you want!

You may want to try Premier Protein in the chocolate flavor - I love it! Tastes like chocolate milk and is not too sweet. The Vanilla is too sweet for me too but tolerable, the Strawberries and Cream flavor is nauseatingly sweet and I can't drink it at all.

I had a REALLY hard time with finding a shake I could tolerate. Every single one tasted (and smelled) like dirty gym socks to me. Nauseating!! I did find one that didn't smell or taste weird though. It's the AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes in chocolate Fudge or Dark Chocolate. They're really not bad. I get mine at either Target or Publix. Good luck!!

I really like George's Restore, a Protein Powder which you can buy online. Unfortunately, you have to buy a big jar as it does not come in individual servings. The powder has 16 Protein, 0 carb, and 0 fat. I add a cup of skim milk which adds 12 carbs so you might want to either add less or use a different type of milk. What I like about it is that it does not have that sweet chemical taste so many have.

Premier Protein from costco works for me in Choc and vanilla.