Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Often Do You Get Help From Your Surgeon or Other Bariatric Professional?

The weight loss surgery journey is a huge deal. A lot of patients are nervous about it, and rightfully so! Being able to ask questions whenever you have them can help you get over your nerves, plus it can help you make the right decisions in the moment, such as which foods you can eat at a certain time post-op, or whether it’s okay to do certain exercises or take certain medications.

It seems like it varies a lot between practices and patients, so I’m curious. How often did you contact your surgeon, your surgeon’s office, and other bariatric professionals (like a nutritionist or psychologist) when you were preparing for surgery and while recovering and losing weight after surgery?

Is/was your healthcare team available as much as you wanted? Do you wish you’d taken even more advantage of the chance to ask questions?

I contacted my surgeon's office 10 days postop in order to request my bloodwork, EKG and OR report. I received them via email within a week. Other than that I've really just consulted with my surgeon or followup doctor about medications I've had to take for non-WLS related medical issues. He's advised me of protective measures to help protect my sleeve. I contacted the anesthesiologist about 10 months postop to request a copy of the exact protocol he used on me. It was the first time I had ever woken up from surgery not nauseous and I had no postop pain. I just wanted to know what he used for future reference.

For that first year they had also sent me followup questionnaires via email every week, and eventually monthly to keep tabs on my progress. They also have a dietician on staff, but I never felt the need to consult with her.

Despite having surgery in Mexico, it was great to have such easy, direct contact with my surgeon and his staff. They always returned calls or emails within 24 hours. The surgeon removing my gallbladder next week is just 30 miles away and I'd probably have to give up my first born to actually talk directly to him.

Edited by Kindle

My bariatric team at Abington Memorial Hospital was & still is great. The information they provided during the consult, the workshops & other required sessions were very helpful and informative. The handbook they provided answered any questions I had in between pre & post op sessions/visits.

Post op, they called to check up on me. Other than the required post op visits, I had no problems and there was no need for me to reach out to them. My team had me very well informed and prepared.

I recently went for my 3 yr post op visit & all is well.

I left my team behind when I moved out of Houston. I don't have anyone here.

I saw my therapist every week for the first 4 months and have now switched to every other week. She says eventually we will switch to once a month for at least 2 years post-op to be sure to stay on top of any maintenance issues. I visit with (phone call) my NUT once every 4 to 5 weeks but am able to email her and get quick response if needed (though at 5 1/2 months post-op this more urgent need for contact has slowed down if not stopped). My surgeons office had 10 day post-op follow-up, then at 1 month then 3 months post-op then 6 months post-op. Not sure if the visit after 6 months is at 9 months or waits until 1 year. I have been in contact with them on other occasions up to about 3 months post-op for some complications (Stricture). They (including the surgeons) were extremely and amazingly available. My clinic did not have an exercise physiologist but I sure wish they had. I think that would be a great addition to any bariatric team. I am going to a personal trainer who has no clue about WLS and am really frustrated with the nutritional "advice" she keeps trying to give me. I just ignore that part.

Outside of the typical follow up appointment I've called my surgeons office three times since surgery. One thing I like about the practice I use is the doctor and the surgical first assistant are husband and wife. I can call the wife who will pass along the info to the doctor. I call them for medical questions or concerns. I call the nutritionist for questions regarding eating etc, but haven't really needed to.

I have felt like there is very little support from my surgeons office from start to finish. In fact, I was sleeved three weeks ago and still have a two week wait until my first post op appointment.

Initially I saved my questions for my follow up visits. Between my 6mth and 1 year follow up I needed to increase my calories and when I had a few questions about, hair loss, blood work, and supplements I emailed them. The policy is to expect an email response in 2 -3 days. Every time I had a response by the 2nd day. The nutritionist called me to discuss increasing my calories. Since I use the email system I get regular updates about staff additions or guest speakers for the support groups. I last attended a guest speaker and support group about a month ago. I have enjoyed my program from start to finish and always feel comfortable with them. I print out my bloodwork and forward it to my primary so she is kept in the loop.

I stopped seeing my surgeon after week 6. Other than a few visits to my PCP for some follow up blood work, I've relied on this site and some other WLS sites on Facebook for support. It's served me well so far :)