Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kentucky, "who's your Doctor"

Hello busywoman,

I see no problem in going back to work in one week.

I could have.I saw my doctor yesterday and he said I could have gotten on the treadmill the day after surgery!! Good luck

jaunderwood:lol:

Good info, I have not told them at work I am having the surgery and do not plan on telling them. Instead, I feel the flu coming on...cough...cough. I have my pre-op test scheduled for 3/17 and surgery for 3/20. I figure after being off a week I will be ready to go back!!

Hey there ladies! I just wanted to update everyone! I got the call today from Dr Olsolfka's office. I go in the morning for my pre-op testing, my office visit is on 3/12 and surgery is scheduled for 930am on 3/19! :blink:

I too am not planning on telling anyone from work. I just took vacations days for Wed, Thur and Fri. It's really no one's business anyways!

Looks like a lot of snow is headed our way. Stay safe.

Talk about moving quickly!! I am smiling right now because I am so happy for you! I thought tonight, this time next month I will be banded and onto a new life. Please let me know about pre-op test, I go on the 17th.

PA

Congtats on being approved!! You all have so much to look forward to!! I love my band!! i've lost 3 more lbs.!! :thumbup:That makes 13 since the 26th!!

I'm so pleased!!

good luck to you!!

jaunderwood

Pre-op testing is done! Not too bad. Arrived at St. Mary's at 745am. Shortly after we were registered and then off to the lab for bloodwork. The guy Eric that drew our blood was awesome! I didn't even feel the prick of the needle going in. After that we were taken to Xray. They took 2 Xrays then we had to do the barium stuff. That stuff is nasty but tolerable! Thankfully I was able to keep it down. First they make you drink this really thick chalk like liquid. They had me take 3 big gulps of it. Then they gave you this little medicine cup with some bead like things. Looked a lot like the little things in those soft squishy pillows. Once you put them in your mouth they give you just a sip of Water to wash them down. You will immediately feel the need to burp, BUT DON'T or you have to do it again. Right afte that they hand you another class of thinner chalk stuff to drink through a straw while lying down on the Xray table. Then you are done....Thank Goodness! We were then taken up to get our EKG's done and talk with the nurse about our medical history. Afterwards we were allowed to go to the cafeteria to get us something to eat and drink. We were then joined by a couple of other people and Debbie from the Bariatric office explained what to expect the day of surgery. We met with the Dietician Jessica after that. She gave us detailed instructions on our pre and post op diets as well as some sample menus to follow. Last but not least we met with Kirk the exercise physiologist. He took some measurements and our weight and body fat. Then explained the exercise program and the importance of starting to exercise shortly after surgery. We left the hospital at 12:45pm. Next is the office visit with Dr. O on Wednesday! I have to start the liquid diet that day as well :tea: Ow well, Texas Roadhouse here I come. I have to get one last steak this weekend. Take care and let me know how your testing goes on the 17th!

Hi Everyone--I haven't checked the boards for a while so I kinda feel out of touch with everyone's progress.

Raymer--Congratulations on your approval and making it thru the Pre-op testing yesterday. The barium stuff is definitely the worst part of the whole process. Things will move quickly now and before you know it you will be back home and your surgery will be done. I am with same group--I have Dr. Lusco who I dearly love!! My surgery was the week before Thanksgiving and I can honestly tell you that it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I only wish I had done it sooner.

This whole thing is a learning process of course, and you will learn thru trial and error what you can and cannot eat afterwards. Different foods affect people differently. The one thing I will stress is EXERCISE!! I literally was a total couch potato, and now I am on the treadmill for an hour 4-5 days a week, working with weights, on a bike, etc. The hospital has an absolutely awesome program, which I have continued to use even after the 6 week free period. Kirk is one of those people that you either love or hate. I happen to think he's awesome--but I needed that kick in the pants to get me moving. If you watch The Biggest Loser, he's like Bob and Jillian all rolled into one person. He's tough but very supportive. But I truly credit the exercise with my success with this program. And if I can get off my butt and do this, ANYONE can!!

Sorry for the really long post--Good luck to you and let us know about your progress!! And enjoy that Texas Roadhouse steak!!:tea:

Try not to go crazy with the dining out before surgery. You CAN eat everying AFTER surgery...ok a few weeks After surgery. But you can still eat it. So dont go too crazy before their is no need your only giving it up for a few weeks.

You can still eat it all just not as much as you used to.

wow! the things Ihave read are totally blowing my mind. It seems like things are going pretty fast for some folks, longer for others. I have my first initial visit with dr shcuster on march 28. I am excited and wish it was sooner. I heard it could take a couple of years to get the go ahead so I am really encouraged by some of these. Again Wow! I love getting here and reading such positive upbeat messages, I am sure it gives more than myself hope to keep moving forward with this.

I havent been banded yet, but got my approval Mar 10, 2008. So just waiting on a date now. I live in florence, ky., so Dr. Thomas Sonnanstine will be doing my surgery. He is located at St Luke West Hospital in Florence, Ky. I had to put up 300.00 up front before I went to all their classes, and then I will have to put up another 300.00 the day of the surgery. Which I can still turn that in to my insurance. The total 600.00 covers, pyschologist, nutrionist, group discussion, office visits for 4 fillings the first year. After that each filling will be 150.00 and that isnt covered by insurance. Dr. said 4 should really do it. Will have unlimit monthly post-op group discussion from now on. Staff is great, and Dr. Sonnanstine is one in a million. Can`t wait until I`m banded then I will be a happy camper for life. His staff really works for you, and believe me this has been a long running for me since my insurance kept giving me a run around. Just hang in there, I got 3 denials before I finally got what I wanted and needed. Good luck to everyone on their life long road of happiness.

from what I hear the surgery date comes pretty soon after the approval. so good luck and I am glad you finally got that approval after three denials. My friend wants to do this with me but she is so concerned that her insurance won't even consider, they are retired military and this is not something they cover. so maybe she has a shot at it too, if she keeps after it. you give me hope for her too

from what I hear the surgery date comes pretty soon after the approval. so good luck and I am glad you finally got that approval after three denials. My friend wants to do this with me but she is so concerned that her insurance won't even consider, they are retired military and this is not something they cover. so maybe she has a shot at it too, if she keeps after it. you give me hope for her too

Is your friends insurance with Tricare military insurance, if so tell her they cover the lapband, and you can get approved in a matter of a month, as long as all her test are done. So tell her to set up the first appointment with the Dr. and get it started. If she needs any help with that just tell her to email me anytime. It really is easy to get approved compared to so many insurance companys. So tell her to email me and I can tell her all the ropes... constancekid@fuse.net Good luck.

Busywoman--

You have your pre-op testing on Monday, right?? The best of luck to you. Please let us know how things go!! Everything should move pretty quickly after that. Also--I saw your question about how soon you can return to work after the surgery. I had surgery on a Tuesday, and just took vacation the rest of the week. I went back to work on the following Monday and started working out at the gym the same day. The 2nd day after the surgery (Thursday) was really the only day I felt kind of bad. By Friday evening, I wasn't even taking Tylenol or anything for pain--just a little sore after that. Of course, everyone's experience is unique so others might have a different story. I can only speak for myself, but from what I gather from speaking to other people, I think what I experienced is pretty typical. I would say you would be fine after a week. Good luck!! :thumbup:

Raymer--

Good luck on your surgery this week!! Let us know how you are doing!! This is such an exciting time. One piece of advice for you-- Don't be shy about asking for pain medication immediately after the surgery. If you wake up hurting they can definitely help with that. The nurses in the post op at St Mary's were excellent. They gave me a shot of morphine as soon as I woke up even feeling a twinge of pain. I think I ended up getting 2 shots before I left the hospital that afternoon, and everything was fine after that. I didn't even get the pain med prescription filled--I just took tylenol. Good luck and keep us posted!!

:thumbup:

BandChick64, thanks for the well wishes, I found out last night that I was not to eat or drink anything before the pre-op test. Great, my appointment is at 3:00 p.m. So I started looking around the internet and it says nothing to eat 8 hours before the test. I hope that means I can get some Protein in when I get up at 6:00 a.m. at least. I'm going to call the hospital Monday morning and see if I can sip Water throughout the day. For a person who does drink 64+ ounces of water a day that is going to be rough. Anyway, I will get through Monday and get ready for my band-date, Thursday!!! PA