Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! My boyfriends family is Syrian and they eat a food called kibbeh. It has meat with Hamburger or lamb with cracked wheat. Do you think cracked wheat would be something we could eat?

Oh it also has pine nuts. We are allowed nuts at some point right?

Definately not in the weight loss phase. Anytime you introduce carbs that are not veggies, you will likely stall. Those stalls can be a real pain in the neck.

I think a small amount wouldn't hurt. It would probably be similar to having a grain like brown rice. I eat plenty of grains and have yet to stall as a result. It's a complex carb so not as bad for you as processed carbs. I'd have to google to double-check but I'm pretty sure pine nuts aren't actually nuts. It's a seed like sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Seconding @@BLERDgirl --

Not really nuts, pine nuts are the edible seeds of some pine trees. They are contained within the cones' little "arms."

@@sarahbethemails -- I'd ask what time's dinner, but you said "Hamburg," which means you're in a different area. The only times I've ever had homemade Middle Eastern food, it was made by following recipes. I'd love the real thing, so please think of me when you get in there. If only for the food, your boyfriend is a keeper.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Hi my boyfriends family is Syrian and she kibbeh it has meat with Hamburg or lamb with cracked wheat do you think cracked wheat would be something we could eat?

Oh it also has pine nuts we are allowed nuts at some point right

How far out are you after surgery? If you are still on soft food probably not. If you are cleared for all foods (including nuts and seeds) then I don't see why not as long as you track it and it fits in your program.

Hi my boyfriends family is Syrian and she kibbeh it has meat with Hamburg or lamb with cracked wheat do you think cracked wheat would be something we could eat?

Oh it also has pine nuts we are allowed nuts at some point right

How far out are you after surgery? If you are still on soft food probably not. If you are cleared for all foods (including nuts and seeds) then I don't see why not as long as you track it and it fits in your program.

Good point. I didn't add whole grains back in until I was cleared to eat all foods as tolerated.

Ohh I wasn't thinking of now but in a couple weeks I'll be cleared!! I just love kibbeh with a cucumber yogurt so yummy!! Haha yes Hamburg sometimes because lamb is very expensive!! So isn't pine nuts actually!! Lol yes from Rhode Island!! Yes my boyfriends mother in law makes Spanish food and Syrian food he's cape version Puerto Rican and Syrian and Italian so his mom makes all types of food of what I love!!

Everyone's system is different, but kibbeh nayeh (raw kibbeh) is one of the few meat dishes I tolerate well. I eat it about once a week and haven't had any problems. My weight loss has been going at a nice steady clip and my surgeon told me that it was ok so long as I had a small portion (no more than 3 oz).

I found this recipe online and found it really tasty:

http://www.maureenabood.com/2011/09/21/kibbeh-nayeh-the-raw-truth/

A Lebanese friend also gave us a great tip. If you have any raw kibbeh left over, just grill on both sides on a non-sticks pan with no oil. It's really good and not fried!!

Uncooked beef? Um, no. Rare(ish), okay, but it needs some heat, too many bacteria to just eat raw. Different cultures different meals.

@@sarahbethemails @@winklie - Unless I'm reading this wrong I think @@fernandfj was trying to say how to cook the leftover meat, not to try and eat it raw.

ETA: Just went back and reread the thread. Apparently there is both a raw and cooked version and @@fernandfj mentions both. Sorry for the confusion.

@@BLERDgirl

Certainly possible, time change completely screwed me up, not a lot of sleep. I went and did a bunch of reading about this dish and it is indeed made from raw hamburger though.