Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@BLERDgirl

Certainly possible, time change completely screwed me up, not a lot of sleep. I went and did a bunch of reading about this dish and it is indeed made from raw hamburger though.

Raw beef? As long as it is with 100% USDA Grade A, lean, E.Coli, then I guess it is ok. :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

So a variation of tartar then? I missed that. Eating meat cooked or raw is all kind of gross to me. I do know that just like sushi there is a certain grade requirement for serving it uncooked and certain food acids or citrus can be used to "cook" it like in ceviche. In the end I guess it's whatever floats your boat. ;)

I'm Palestinian and that's a must have. Instead of frying it though I make it baked in the oven with think layers of the "kibbeh" and use lean beef and lamb mixed. I put more meat than the bulgur wheat and it's fantastic! I eat it raw too.

@@sarahbethemails @@BLERDgirl @@winklie et al. --

What? No beef carpaccio in your lives? No steak tartare? With a raw egg yolk nestled on top or mixed in for the timid? You are missing out on some special dishes. Really. I mean it.

Some of you mention that you eat sushi. Does that preclude sashimi, my preference? Does the rice give you courage?

I thought I was the squeamish one. One of you specified E. coli as a requirement for eating anything raw. How does that compute?

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I spent several years managing a restaurant, I am or was Serve-safe certified, I am well aware of the risks of eating raw meat. For me, it is a personal choice, I judge no one else. Do whatever you will.

@@winklie

Did you think I was judging? Alas, there is nothing so sad as an intended jest flapping in the wind.

P.S. My reference to E. coli was based on someone else's message.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch

Oh no, not at all, my post was to indicate that I don't judge. I make informed decisions for myself, but others can and will do whatever they want.

It's all love and peace here.

I'm vegetarian with aims to go vegan. I barely like the idea that I currently eat eggs and dairy. Eating actual animal flesh is out of the question. I'm also deathly allergic to all seafood . I used to eat sushi, but only the vegetarian options. Sashimi is also a giant no go.

I haven't had them post-op because of the rice. if I get in a cooking mood I may buy some grape leaves and stuff them with a black rice mixture.

Be careful with kibbeh, when its fried its very very unhealthy. I second the kibbeh nayyeh suggestion. It is the most delicious mazza in my opinion.

For the grape leaves/dolma suggestion, pretty sure once you have no restrictions you can eat them. Also be aware, they are stuffed with rice.

Might I make some middle eastern suggestions that are low carb?:

1. Shanklish, a goat cheese salad.

2. Muhammara, a red spicy paste with nuts

3. Tabouleh salad. Has bulghur but not essential to the dish and not enough to be high carb.

4. Grilled kafta. Can be high fat but 0 carb so if you are going Keto it should be fine.

5. Hummus or foul without bread. Also be weary, you would be surprised how much fat there is in hummus from the seasame paste. Again, works for keto.

6. Grilled chicken with toum (garlic paste).

7. BBQ pro tip: grilled onions and grilled tomatoes. Very common in middle eastern bbqs and very delicious.

Things that should be occasional because they are high carb and fat: fried kibbeh, shawerma, muajanat/manaeesh/middle eastern pizza although as an alternative to regular pizza they are relatively good. Thin crust and if you get the zaatar then you avoid the cheese, fried falafel, our rice dishes also have lots of oil, phyllo/cheese rolls (fried).

Source: I am Jordanian.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Awesome thank you for the suggestions!! My mother in law bakes it in one big casserole dish she don't fry them!! Thank god I was never a rep big fan of fried foods I'm the person who eats the middles out of crab ragoon jalenpeno poppers onion rings lmao